Featured ORM-D exempton as apllies to cartridges, small arms and cartridge power devices ends Dec 31, 2020

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tinbucket, Nov 20, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

On the UPS site i was searching for links to information that Sellers could ship powder and primers via UPS, and I assume Fed Ex, under ORM D without hazmat fees,

It says the ORMD for limited quantities ground service will end Dec 31, 2020.
    Per D.OT. HM 215 K
    So why are most still charging haz mat fees on primers now?
    And the text says it applies to "cartridges", "small arms:and cartridge power devices, presumably they mean primers.
    Anyone know it after Dec 31 we will be forced to pay hazmat on cartridges, and firearms?
    An who in Washington caused this to happen?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like someone trying to kiss biden's arse even b4 it's installed.

3. slow_burn

slow_burn Member

well i dunno.

i have a quart sized bottle of Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner coming saturday, and i am paying extra due to it being ORM

as seen on the item i am getting delivered

RESTRICTION
    ORM-D
    ORMD. These items can only ship specific Ground shipping methods. These are smaller quantities of Hazardous material and have many of the same restrictions.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is happening on Trump's watch, but you are going to blame it on Biden. Well that makes a hell of a lot of sense.

slow_burn likes this.
  5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Yep. The AP says Biden is the POTUS now.
    Of course he isnt and this will go away come January.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you want to bet?

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Would but already am

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sorry- primers and powder ARE HAZMAT. Loaded ammo or primed brass goes as ORM-D, by ground. Technically, ammo IS HAZMAT, but there has been an exception permitting up to (about) 66 lbs of it without having to do the whole HAZMAT thingy. That expires in Dec, and would have to be renewed.

Reason primers/ powder are HAZMAT- they can mass detonate. However, loaded ammo will not mass detonate. The additional mass of the cartridge case absorbs enough energy that one going bang does not make them all go bang.

10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And, shippers charge more for it because it doesn’t get handled with the rest of the million packages per hour which flow through their systems automatically. It takes quite a bit of extra human handling.