Orem, UT Children Injured In Cannon Firing Incident

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by alsaqr, Jun 19, 2014.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

"Civil War re-enactors" in Orem, Utah had a kid holding a "pouch" of black powder while a cannon was being fired.

i've investigated several incidents involving injuries caused by blackpowder explosions at such events at the request of insurance companies and lawyers. In every case one or more adults did something that was totally ignorant.

"Very unfortunate accident, my butt. It was almost pre-ordained to happen.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...talized-from-Orem-cannon-accident.html?pg=all

Had to go to the Brits for photos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...powder-engulfing-three-children-fireball.html

2. walkercolt1847

walkercolt1847 New Member

I think that nobody, especially a child, should have been ahold of a sack of friggin black powder whilst shooting off a cannon. The whole thing looked pretty unsafe, so they were just shooting this cannon off in the middle of the street with hundreds of people packed close to it??

There should have been some sort of fairly large "safe zone" or something around the cannon IMHO, with no children made to hold bags of explosive material while standing next to something that spews fire and sparks!!! :eek:

3. Tactical_Lever

Tactical_Lever New Member

Stuff is shot off all the time with people around. Especially blanks during ceremonies and parades.

Powder is not an explosive until it is contained. No reason that the kids should not be involved; but the powder should have been sealed.

Didn't anyone else have a gun here by their 10th birthday?

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

The ATF needs to look into this, Cannons are the next *** weapon! Specially those semi automatic cannons! Hanging on to a bag of BP while someone fires the cannon next to you, Bad Idea, they are lucky any of them are still alive...

5. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Accidents happen. Kids should not have been holding a cannon charge. Today's kids are backwards, from a kid, that was raised mostly in the woods. Adults should not have been holding a cannon charge, if they didn't know what they were doing. I assume that was the bag they were talking about. It had to have been a hot spark. The fuse...I dunno. From the muzzle surely not. .

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That is true of smokeless powder, but black powder does burn explosively. Take a look at the video if you don't believe it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...powder-engulfing-three-children-fireball.html

7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Poor kids, hope they are going to be OK. Most accidents happen when folks get complacent, just a little too comfortable with what they are doing. I know that having a cannon charge of black powder go off in my hand is right near the top of my least favorite things list.

8. Tactical_Lever

Tactical_Lever New Member

I don't disagree that BP is not a different beast that is quite a bit faster when its uncontained than smokeless. I did see the pictures, and it was bad, but to me an explosion is a concussive blast, rather than a very quick fire.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I once fell 20' out of an old maple tree, bad judgement on my part, rotted limb, lived to tell about it, dumb mistakes hurt sometimes when your lucky, other times they kill. Not a call to regulate more, just something to put on the dont do list.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The video is more telling. That powder went off something frightful. No wonder there were injuries. Totally preventable.

And for the record, both smokeless powder and black powder burn, not explode. This is regardless of whether they are contained or not. Smokeless powered burns significantly slower when in an open environment. Black powder burns slower unconfined, but it still burns very fast.

11. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

This is not the first time a child in Orem has been wounded by a black powder accident. The celebrations in Utah are always very child inclusive. I think they need to rethink these practices.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes. I think THEY should if that's the case. But I don't think it is societies place to force them.

13. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I did not say society should attack anyone. I said they, the parents who engage in these celebrations need to think safety. Making child safety a political issue seems to be the in thing. :(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I know. I was just reinforcing what you were saying. :)