Oregon univ. campus gun ban tossed in court!!!

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by CHLChris, Sep 30, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Good. Personally I don't think guns have a place in schools, but its a simple fact of life that the crazies and BGs don't really care, and we all need to be able to defend ourselves no matter where we are.

Was Virginia Tech a no gun campus or not? It doesn't really matter, because it wouldn't have stopped the guy.

If I had my way, guns wouldn't be outlawed anywhere, but there simply wouldn't be a need for them other than hunting and sporting. I would start by actually punishing criminals, instead of giving them a warm place to sleep and 3 hots a day and then letting them out the next Monday. Death penalty? There's a right to a fair and speedy trial right? Lets have a fair and speedy execution.

But this will never happen, so there should be no reason for anyone to ever die or get hurt because having a means to defend themselves in a bad situation was illegal in a given location.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

VT is a gun free, and was a gun free, campus. And just for enlightenment, the FIRST person that came up on Cho in the elevator where he killed the first two people? He happened to be a CCW student...who was following the rules and didn't have a weapon on him.
    So...he had to run, and was pissed. The one article I found on him was a couple years ago...and since then, never found again.
    How many lives would have been saved had the rule not been in effect? Remember, at the first sign of trouble, Cho sucked lead.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

See that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I don't hate guns, or people with guns (I fall in that category, and I think I'm awesome), but I absolutely hate the fact that it is necessary. Since I've been carrying I've only had to pull my gun for a rabid raccoon while I was taking out the garbage one night.

So what I'm trying to say is, while I may not like it, it IS necessary, so it should be allowed no matter the location.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I'd rather be carrying lollipops and Tootsie Rolls to hand out happily myself, but reality is, we have a sh*tbag portion of the population that are worse than rats, and we need ways to protect ourselves and our families.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

The one place that SHOULD have ccw is our schools. Its unconscionable that the children of our nation are congregated in one large building vulnerable to the evil doers of the world without a lick of protection.

Every politician that votes for gun bans in school should tried in court whenever a child dies of violence by a madman in a gun free school!!

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Let's just make this clear on this thread:

1) The ruling dealt with Oregon state university campuses only. It also only dealt with people who are on campus (students, researchers, guests). We're not exactly talking about kids.

2) The ruling did NOT deal with K-12 schools. At K-12 schools (in OREGON) it was already LEGAL to carry. The only class of people who are NOT allowed to carry in K-12 schools are staff members and employees. They are barred from carrying handguns by employment-contingent rules. These rules have been deemed constitutional a few times and I think that is the right call. But parents or community members who come onto K-12 campuses are legally allowed to carry.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That actually sounds like common sense legislation. How the hell did that happen????

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh sh#$, I just saw Satan ice skating down the street.