Oregon Militia

Discussion in 'Oregon Gun Forum' started by GREGULON, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I there anyone connected with the Militia in the Portland area. I would like to get involved but the only meet and greets seem to be out in eastern OR.

2. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Depends on your definition of "militia." You may want to become familiar with Oregon Revised Statutes; 166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. If you are looking for meeting up with shooters and militia in the classic sense (we are all militia) look for gun clubs and ranges and get to know folks.

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
    (b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder.

3. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

To follow up, in my estimation I think this may not be in compliance with the US First Amendment, right of assembly, but I'm not a lawyer or constitutional expert, and don't know if it's been challenged.

4. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

So it is illegal according to intent? Who determines the intent? I am looking to generate what I refer to as "Local Tactical Support" where I and say 5 others in my neighborhood could train for different situations, and then in a emergency situation know that we can depend on each other.

5. Original

Original Member

Sounds like neighbors getting together to protect each other from crime.

Unlawful, Heck NO. Smart and responsible? Heck YES.:)

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The term "Militia" scares some people. I prefer the term "Mutual Assistance Group or MAG".

Personally, I'd rather have a loose knit group of friends and neighbors.

7. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

8. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

I'm in the Portland area and would like to hang out with like minded shooters. I did something similar down in so cal before I moved state. Ended up with 60-80 people hitting the desert every 3 months for camping shooting etc... Had a blast but it was viewed as a militia which can sometimes create negative connotations. The BLM guys regularly gave us a hard time.

I'm in SW portland now days and regular shooting get togethers where we can share knowledge and experience on different topics such as marksmanship, hunting and woodsman skills can only be a good thing as long as its done safely.

I'm in. Anyone else?

9. Jericho1911u22

Jericho1911u22 New Member

I wouldn't mind doing a camping/shooting trip like that. I live in salem.

10. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I believe this might be the key phrase in the section of law quoted:

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
    (b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons "with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder."

Otherwise Clint and Heidi Smith at Thunder Ranch in Oregon would be in violation of the law.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  11. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

Great! Know any decent spots?

12. Jericho1911u22

Jericho1911u22 New Member

Molalla River Recreation Corridor is the only place I know of that you can shoot. I don't know that it is good for camping though not in groups like you are talking. It is sort of a canyon rather than a desert. There are other places like that around. I've just never been. But I don't think you will find a big open flat spot around here. Maybe somebody else knows better.

13. Original

Original Member

There is a FAL shoot at the end of june I started back in 08, lots of fun, Machineguns you can get trigger time on, if interested pm me, thanks.

14. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Just say'n what the law is. In most cases, probably not a problem, but we've all heard horror stories where an over-zealous prosecutor in Po-Dunk County can make life miserable for good folks who just want to exercise their God given rights. If you call your group a sportsman's club, you'd be ok. Call your group a militia and it could flip some politician's switch. Political correctness run amok.

15. Original

Original Member

I worry NOT about flipping some Ahole Politicians "Switch" The politicians should BE Worried about flipping the switches of patriots who will in turn their switch OFF.

Personally I only know one politician that is Not a criminal, the rest need to be hanged.