Ordering a new rifle questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by deerslayer--01, May 15, 2012.

1. deerslayer--01

deerslayer--01 New Member

I am looking to order a LAR-458 from Rock River Firearms in IL. Any firearm I own has been bought from a retailer where I went to the store and paid for it and left with the gun.

this is the link to Rock River Arms page with the .458 rifle.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=251

Indiana has made the .458 rifle legal for deer season.

1. Is it legal to buy this via the internet and have it shipped to the house?

2. If so, what documents would I have to show to make the purchase.

Thanks!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Deerslayer- unless you hold an 01 or 02 Federal Firearms license, you CANNOT order a modern firearm, and have it delivered directly to you. The exception to that is a few incredibly remote areas, such as the back woods of Alaska- and most dealers do not even know of that rare exception.

In practically all cases, a modern firearm must be shipped to a FFL holder. You go to that holder, complete same paperwork as if buying it from them, pay them the fee for their time,and take your gun.

What you describe has basically been illegal since 1968.

And not that you asked, but be sure the BULLET you are using is legal for hunting. A lot of that is FMJ, and many states do not permit FMJ for hunting.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

And be prepared to WAIT FOREVER for it!! I was in the same boat, and recently waited 10 weeks for my slightly custom Savage. And their Customer Service Dept. could use a little polish.

I hear a lot of gun manufacturers are going nuts trying to fill orders right now, so a single special order is taking a back seat to the big ones.....

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

DeerSlayer,There are several of us on this forum that have a RRA 458 SOCOM.
    It is a very fun gun to shoot,and very accurate out to 200 yards.After that,the bullet falls like a lame duck.
    If you don't reload,this gun will get very expensive to shoot very fast. SBR is the only company that offers factory ammo,and it isn't cheap.

If you have any mechanical skills,I'd suggest building your own complete Lower assembly,and then buy an upper from RRA or a local gun show.The complete upper assembly can be shipped directly to your house,as it isn't "a firearm",the lower assembly of an AR platform is the "firearm",and has to be purchased from an FFL dealer.
    You will also be able to set up the rifle exactly how you want it this way,instead of having a plain production firearm.

I've had very good results loading 300gr-405gr bullets with mine,and have several loads that shoot between 3/4"-1 1/2" groups at 100yds.
    Recoil is pretty mild with the 300gr-350gr bullets,but it'll let you know about the 405gr's.Kind of like shooting slugs out of a 12ga.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The rifle sounds nice.

I've never had a problem with shipping.

1-Send your payment by certified mail,with

your FFL address and instructions in writing,

to the seller. Keep all your copies together in a Manila

envelope.

2. Pay by U.S. Postal Money Order. Severe penalties

are enforced for tampering, and everyone knows this.

3. Insure the gun for more than it's worth. I usually

go for 2X the value, YMMV. If they screw it up, it'll

fund your next vacation.

4.Be certain to keep your receipt for all shipping, certs,

insurance, Postal M.O.s, and the copy of your written

instructions to the seller together. Date the outside of the

envelope, and await good news from your FFL.

Very similar to cast-iron shorts...

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

therewolf You did good until you got to the Insure part .
    No Insurance will pay 2x . He would need to show the value lost .
    If it was a $1,000 dollars for the rifle he will get that and
    no more no matter how much insurance he bought over that .

KEYBEAR

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I beg to differ. You insure, and pay for specific dollar value. So technically,

if you were willing to spend the money, you could insure a wing nut for

a million dollars.

How many guns have you shipped? Because it sounds as though

you're talking about homeowner's insurance.

8. deerslayer--01

deerslayer--01 New Member

Thanks for the help fellas.

I went to my trusted local firearms dealer and placed the order. I got the Rock River Arms LAR .458 SOCOM with upgraded CAR Operator Stock and a Badger Tactical Latch.

It sounds like it will be 60 to 90 days till delivery. Plenty of time to site it in before gun season for deer here in Indiana.

Now it sounds like the hard part will be finding the right round to use for my application. That application being, taking down a 200 pound deer from possibly 200 yards. Do I go subsonic or supersonic? FMJ is illegal here in Indiana for deer hunting.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yes. Find a good reloading shop.

Start with a couple good books,

The ABCs of Reloading, and either the Speer, Lyman or Hornady

reloading manuals come to mind.

Then you can make your own favorite loads...

10. Txhillbilly

Deerslayer,I really suggest that you look into reloading for the 458 SOCOM.Not only can you save a bunch of money (compared to buying SBR's ammo),but you can build ammo that your particular setup really shoots good.

Here's a couple links to SBR.They will also load your brass,but you really aren't saving much by doing that.

http://www.sbrammunition.com/458sl.html

http://www.sbrammunition.com/458reloading.html

For what they charge for reloading your brass,you can do it yourself for a lot less.Your 1st loads with new brass will cost about $1.40 per round,after that it cost around $.80 per round depending on the bullets used.

You will want to shoot super sonic for hunting rounds,and I like shooting the 300-350gr bullets.I like to shoot the Remington 300gr JHP,Hornady 300gr JHP/325gr FTX/350gr RN,Nosler C/T 300gr Silvertip,and Remington 405gr FNLP.
    I have several loads that group under an inch at 100 yards,and you'd be hard pressed to find some factory ammo that will do that.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I don't understand why anyone would want to own basically an AR-15 that shoots only a boutique round, with almost NO ammo available, unless you spend a butt-load to get a reloading setup. And, it STILL costs a lot per round.......

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey, it's still America, last time I checked.

To each his own.

Lots of people think I'm an idiot because

of all my combloc milsurp stuff...

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Didn't say he couldn't, or shouldn't, just that I don't understand why he would. Understand, my big problem right now is that ammo is super expensive, it's like you almost need to set aside the cost of the gun to spend on ammo to get you started. I don't really have that kind of cash.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of people shoot and reload less than popular calibers all the time. look at some of the calibers the custom rifle makers will chamber a rifle in. look at some of the calibers the chamber reamers come in. not everyone shoots just the most common garden variety of calibers that the firearms makers sell. some of us actually like the oddball calibers. if i owned a 458, i would be reloading also. i actually have several rifles that have never fired factory ammo through them.

reloading isn't as expensive to get into as you think. you can buy complete kits from most of the reloading makers, with just about everything needed to start reloading. some are very reasonably priced also. another nice aspect to reloading is, you are not dependent on the stores in your town having ammo to fit your rifle or needs. you can also make ammo not available from the factory ammo makers.

15. Txhillbilly

clr8ter,The 458SC is an outstanding caliber to shoot.There are many reasons that it isn't a mainstream caliber,or why there isn't several factory ammo loads.Mostly it comes down to $$$ for the licensing rights.
    If you invent something new,like Marty at Teppo Jutsu LLC. did with the 458 SOCOM,you'd want to be paid for the rights to use or copy your invention/or anything that it uses.
    So far,there are only a few mfg's that have stepped up to the plate to do that-RRA,SBR,LEE,and a few others.
    It's the same way with a lot of the new wildcat type calibers.

You can complain about things,or not understand why people like to do things a little different,that's your right and opinion.
    But unless you have tried shooting some of the new/different calibers,and have never tried reloading your own ammo,you'll never understand the enjoyment that a lot of shooters get out of doing things different.

Initially,Getting setup in reloading can be done rather cheap as long as you buy good equipment and not the top of the line brands.
    There are some great deals out there on used presses/scales/powder dispensers.Dies are pretty cheap to buy for most calibers.
    Buy the time you load up several boxes of ammo,the cost of the equipment is starting to pay for itself,and your loading ammo that is tailored for each of your weapons.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

So what is this rifle even good for? Killing herds of elephants?

The calibre is clearly elephant, but if only accurate to 200 yds or so, what is the use?

Even an M-4 / M-16 / AR-15 gives you accuracy to about 600 yds.

And the M-14 is accurate to 800 yds.

Why not just get an M-14 instead?

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The answer to the ammo question is that you can easily get military surplus for very cheap in 5.56.

I wonder why folks feel a need to have their own AR-15 at all? But then, I went through my own Ruger Mini-14 phase as well, together with the 30 round capacity magazines made for them.

I think you wake up one morning and you simply don't feel safe.

And to feel safe you feel you need your own AR-15.

My Mossberg 560 8 + 1 keeps me safe however.

So same problem, different cure.

Attached Files:

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not everyone who has an AR uses them for feeling safe! many of us have them simply because we enjoy shooting them and enjoy the different configurations they can be made into. different lengths, barrels, calibers, stocks, optics, ect., ect., mine isn't used to make me feel safe, as i have two very large dogs who wouldn't mind eating a BG for a snack, a wife that knows how to shoot and many other firearms better suited for HD! not everyone is like you and wakes up in a different world and point of view. some of us are actually true gun enthusiasts who enjoy shooting and firearms.

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I agree with axxe. I want an AR-15, but not because it makes me feel safe (I have other guns that do that just fine). I want one because they are fun guns. They can be super accurate, highly customizable, and come in a TON of different calibers. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for both deer and hogs.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Unless this caliber gets popular fast, it will go the way of the

buffalo. Proprietary restrictions are likely going to have

serious 458 shooters necking their own cartridges, soon.

Last edited: May 28, 2012