Ordered Firearms Out of State - Insight?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Athlai, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Athlai

Athlai New Member

Hey Ya'll!

My husband and I ordered two 9mm Shields out of Montana. They are being shipped to a shop here with a FFL license for us to pick up.

UPS tracking states they have been collected and held by authorities for a period of time. I am assuming to make sure everything is legit.

They were held Tuesday and as of today are still there. Anyone have experience to how long that process usually takes?

Thanks for the help!

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never heard of any holding time & i've had dozens upon dozens of guns delivered to my FFL :confused:

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

me thinks somebody's been scammed

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I'd call UPS with the tracking # to see what the problem is. Usually UPS demands two day shipment for firearms.

5. Athlai

Athlai New Member

Ruh-roh. Doesn't sound good if no one else has experience with this. I'll have my husband send me exactly what UPS site says.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I've ordered firearms online and never had that happen. Something doesn't seem right.

7. marc29th

marc29th New Member

My guess is someone tried to steal your package and now your Shields are evidence.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

That is strange. I had ordered some myself from out of state to my FFL dealer. Never a hold up in transit. Always there within five days or so.

9. Athlai

Athlai New Member

On 8/8 it says "Pkg delay - add'l security check by Gov't or other agency - beyond UPS control. Package will be delivered next business day"

There hasn't been any more movement since the 8/8. Joy.

My husband is going to try to call Monday but it's just odd.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is a new one by me. Can't honestly say I have seen or heard of something like that happening before.

Please keep us informed as to the outcome.

JD

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Don't know if maybe due to a waiting period for your state, otherwise if the tracking number shows it delivered & the FFL hasn't called you to pick it up, I'd suggest you use a different FFL next time.

I've bought several pistols from Davidson's & they furnish tracking number. Usually it'll be delivered by 11:00 am the day after it shipped & the dealer I buy through calls me by noon to tell me to come get it. There has been a couple of times they didn't call by mid afternoon so I went down there anyway. :) I'd find out they were exceptionally busy or had several shipments to process & just hadn't got to it.

12. levelcross

levelcross New Member

UPS requires a 2 day shipping on all firearms as far as I know. I would get on the phone and get some more info on the shipment. Pay attention to the tracking # UPS uses a 1Z prefix on all packages.

Did you check the dealer out with the BBB first or check their ratings at all?

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

UPS normally requires next day air for handguns. This has nothing to do with waiting periods, and Golly, the gun is in transit, not delivered.

Something is up with this- possible an attempt to divert the gun in transit was caught. You are going to need to call UPS, and expect to get bunted around several times to be told "We don't know". Find out what the agency is, and contact that agency. also let the supplier of the gun know that your FFL has NOT rec'd the gun, and supplier may be some checking from his end. As the shiiper of the gun, he may carry a tad more weight.

14. Athlai

Athlai New Member

Mystery solved!

While this company is reputable in the state of Montana - either a newbie shipped them or they don't do many cross state sales.

They were seized for two reasons.

Both guns were packed together (they must be shipped separately).

They were sent ground (they have to be sent next day air).

The government agency that seized them inspected and cleared them for delivery as an exception. We will get them Tuesday.

We have to keep trying until we got the right supervisor for our answer - but at least we know.

15. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Glad it is turning out OK, congrats on finding these two hard to find Shields.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is there a possiblility that the sender is under some investigation?

Please keep us informed.

17. Athlai

Athlai New Member

I'm not quite sure. After UPS told us we would still be getting them - we found out they were sent back to the place we bought them. Hopefully they will do it right this time or just give us our money back.

18. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i hope not, but i bet the original place you bought them from no longer exists.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Cast iron underpants:

1.-Use Postal Money Orders. Most scammers think twice

before tampering with the U.S. Mail, and stealing a Federal

money order. Very trace-able, very track-able.

2.-Over-insure the item. I like to insure for double the value of

the item. PLEASE screw it up, I hear Tahiti is nice, this time of year.

3. Send it all Certified Mail-return receipt requested.-You KNOW they got

it, they know you know they got it, you know they know you know they

got it. GOT IT?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  20. orangello

orangello New Member

INFRINGED, imo.