Ordered a BP rifle today.

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by orangello, Apr 27, 2012.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

I ordered a closeout model Hawkenish rifle from Traditions today, about $300 shipped to the office (nothing breaks up a dull afternoon like getting a package).

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...d=135&osCsid=72c11b6b67f5b10ce1dea281380efa50

I think the stock is similar to the one on my sidelock pistol. I think it will be a fun plinker. I might drag my lazy butt to the deer stands next year with it.

All of the other Hawken models seem to use the 1:48 twist that is a compromise between what round ball needs and what saboted rounds need. I will have to try it out to see for sure.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It looks nice. Don't forget to post a range report for us. :D

3. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the nice rifle.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very nice and you can't beat the price. I paid $275 for a used cabelas hawken when I started out. It's an exact copy of a t/c.
    Should be a good shooter.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Kool! I want one. Just not badly enough, but I'll appreciate it from afar...

6. orangello

orangello New Member

FRIKKIN SWEET! It finally came in today. I didn't even bring it back to my office to open it; i popped it open up front on the receptionist's desk. I really like the nickel coated barrel; it reminds me of the flat nickel finish on the Bersa i had. The lil fiber optic sights don't look very "traditional", but i like them for practicality. I don't much care for the plainjane graphite ramrod, but i will figure out something for that later. I have a good range rod, so maybe i can find something that will be more "decorative".

I will try to post up some pics tonight. If i can't find any 2F/Pyrodex RS, I may just take it out for a test shot with some Pyrodex P (just a light load).

Last edited: May 8, 2012