....or are you just happy to see me?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by hawkguy, Nov 15, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

is that a gun in your pocket? :p

pocket carry.....help me out. I know this has probably been asked a time or two, so if this question annoys you, just disregard.

are there any brands of pants/shorts that lend themselves to pocket carry?

deep wide pockets are a must, I like my shorts/jeans loose....so no problems there.....and untucked shirts are normal for me if i'm dressing casually . some of my jeans work OK, but I was wondering if any brand/style would lend itself to being more pocket carry friendly?...

suggestions or alternatives welcome.....

thanks

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I just bought 3 pairs of Wrangler cargo pants, the type with the included woven cotton belt, and the three pockets on the left leg (bottom long pocket is perfect as a mag holder) @ Wallyworld for $22/pair. They have deep, wide pockets that easily accommodate my LC9 in a Desantis Nemesis holster. They are very comfortable, to boot!

3. hawkguy

thanks, good info. back in the day, they used to make levi's silver tab jeans, which had HUGE pockets and were nice loose fitting jeans and shorts, I think they quit making them a few years back though.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

pretty much any blue jeans pockets will easily carry a lcp with enough room for a reasonable draw

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Just tell everyone your happy to see them :)

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Cargo pants/shorts seem to be designed for loose fitting and a little sloppy - and the pockets seem to have a lot of fabric therefore a bulge isn't noticed much.

It may depend on what gun you want to pocket carry too.

One member posted that he wore an ankle/calf holster and cut out the bottom of the pocket so he had top access to his gun.

8. hawkguy

if this is your issue, mccool.....i think you need to seek help on a different forum, not that i feel there is much that can help you.....

wait....is this the man cave? :p

9. hawkguy

but if ya dont have an lcp? :p

i intend to carry a small j frame snub. this revolver is small, but a bit wider than an lcp. one day i may be looking at the lcp or something similar. for now, i'll use what i got. and honestly, at this point, i feel most comfortable with carrying a revolver.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

11. hawkguy

what i need is a short/jean that is loose fitting with deep pockets. as said, my current jeans work OK, but there is a bit more bulge (from the gun, damn freudian slips thread :D) than i would like. it isn't printing, as it doesn't look like a gun, but it is noticeable. i may be overly self aware of it....:eek:....maybe this comes from little league when i had to play catcher, and i was the only kid on the team that had to wear a HUGE cup. :D

i have a nice pair of cargos with big pockets, but the way the pockets are cut, the grip seems to want to tip out. so if the pockets are cut too vertical, it doesn't seem to work well, even with big pockets.

i really am leaning towards pocket carry cause i think it makes the most sense for my lifestyle. my family is " get up and go" all the time, and i want carry to be natural, easy, convenient.....and of course effective.

12. hawkguy

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Most well made cargo shorts and pants are made with a little more loose fit. This lends itse;f well to pocket carry. Most of the pants I wear are cargo pants or shorts.I just love having the pockets to carry stuff in. And I don't like my close to feel tight or cling to me.

I don't pocket carry a lot but I don't have any problems with a pocket holster in a pair of cargo pants. I also think the pocket holster is as important as the pocket it's going into. It helps protect your gun, your pocket, and keeps from printing so easily. I got one of those Blackhawk holsters form Walmarket. IKt was prettty inexpensive but I can't remember the actual cost. It stays put and does it's job pretty well. The same holster works great with either of the two pocket pistols I own. A Sig 938 (with or without laser) and a Smith 637-2:)

14. hawkguy

thank you for the advice. i have purchased a holster, and i ended up with uncle mike's inside the pocket holster size 4. it works VERY well for a clean draw imo, in fact MUCH better than i ever expected. the size 3 worked also and was smaller, but did not cover the trigger guard quite as well as i would like it too, so i went with the 4. but i will continue to be on the lookout for holster options in pocket carry or otherwise. so any info is always appreciated.

i imagine once i carry, i will just wear pants that work out OK...and go shopping for some new ones and see how they work in the dressing room. if i come up with any good brands/styles, i will be sure to report back if i can provide any useful info.

15. hawkguy

thanks to all for the input. i will certainly check out the cabelas and wrangler cargos suggested.

if anyone comes across another good option (especially shorts), please let me know.

thanks again.

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Holy Crying Game Batman:eek:
    Chelly knows where the beef is!!! She's cocked and locked!!!

18. Chem-man

Chem-man New Member

Check out carhartt jeans , their loose fitting and have really deep pockets , I can carry my wife's S&W 422 with room to spare.

19. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I'd like to see her draw her weapon. Wouldn't that be a laugh! :)

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I don't think a cargo short pocket is good for CCW. A short leg is "usually" wider than a pant leg, and it will leave more room for the gun to flop around. A holster may help, but it will increase the swinging "package". You'll bump it in doorways and other tight spots.

Another downside of cargo pocket carry, if you ever wear chinos or formal, you'll have to rethink your mode, and end up carrying in a way you're not accustomed to. For me, waist, either side. This of course is an opinion.