Options for a lefty?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Chewdo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Im looking for acurate rifle to begin hunting with, but im a lefty... Yes I know "stupid lefty" but im I want to consider my options, but im only looking to pay around $600... If thats not in the price range then I guess a right handed rifle will do. Any sugestions?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hunt WHAT? :confused: R U looking for a .22, shotgun, or bazooka?

3. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Lol good point... Maybe a .308... Im not sure ive never been hunting but I assume something big enoff to take out a bear if needed but I figure a buck... I shoot mainly my hand guns and my Ak... I dont know alot about long ranged rifles

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Where do you live? Are you going to spend more time shooting this at the range or will it be a sole hunting rifle with minimum use except for during season?

As c3 stated, a small amount of background information would be us greatly.

5. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

I live in Washington state, yeah ill definitely be shooting it alot at the range but I would want to go out hunting with it, maybe twice a year.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i know savage makes lefty bolt guns that eject to the right along with left with left eject.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

WA is a big state...Where in WA do you intend to hunt deer?

Western Blacktail are quite a bit smaller than Eastern Whitetail and typical engagement distances vary in huge degrees across the state.

TACK

8. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Yeah that wouldnt be a bad option, im looking to shoot probley up to 200 yards... Do you know around how much?

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Dont feel to bad because im an odd shooter myself. I shoot pistols right handed, i shoot my M4 right handed, but i shoot shotguns and high powered rifles left handed.i dont know why, ive just naturally done it that way since i was a kid

10. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting! I can't imagine life without being able to go hunting. I'm a lefty also. I have a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 that is very accurate and works great for me. The Savage bolt actions are great rifles and one of the few out there available to us left handers. Savage has always been one of the more reasonable rifles cost wise so I'd suggest shopping around. Check out this site:
    Recommended Centerfire Hunting Rifles
    There's quite a few out there but most are pricier than the Savage. Here's what I found on the Savage web site:
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/ You can easily search for just what you want. There's a couple there that MSRP at around $600 so you should be able to get one with a scope ready to go for the money you're looking at.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  11. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Thanks guys. When I was a kid and in the boyscouts I always shot with my right... I couldnt understand why my shots were not consistant. Someone finaly sugested that I shoot with my left, and theres my grouping... My dad never told me that I started writing with my left and he kept putting the pen in my right... But ive shot left ever sence and ive never had a problem. Im used to shooting right handed rifles but my recovery time is a bit slower because the bolts always right there in my face, I assume if I get a lefty that I could send more down range faster?

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Chewdo,Welcome to FTF.

I'm right handed,but left eye dominant.I've shot left handed with rifles and shotguns my whole life.Growing up,all I had to shoot was right handed guns,but with practice you can learn to operate the bolt pretty easily,and fast.
    I have 4-5 left handed rifles now,and at first,it wasn't easy to operate them for me.It just felt weird,but with practice,it just fell in place.I also over the years practiced shooting right handed,and can almost shoot as well as I do shooting lefty.I can also shoot pistols with either hand,but it took some work doing that since I'm right handed.

Today,there is a nice selection of LH rifles-Remington,Savage,Sako-Tikka,and Weatherby all make left handed rifles.
    In the price range your wanting to stay in,Remington,Savage,and Tikka would be the place to look.
    I'm partial to the Savage brand,they aren't the prettiest girl at the dance,but they will shoot amazingly small groups out of the box if you do your part.
    Tikka would be my second choice,followed by Remington-Their Quality has taken a dive over the years,but they still make a nice rifle.

Caliber-If your mainly planning on hunting deer sized game or smaller,I'd suggest a 243,257 Roberts,25-06 (I love this caliber),or the 7mm-08.These are all very flat shooting calibers,and are good for deer sized game out to 300-400 yards.
    If you think you might ever hunt anything bigger-Black Bear/Elk/etc,then I'd say start with a 308 or some other .308 caliber.

13. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Thx txhillbilly, ill look into those, its nice to know im not the only odd one, my best friend was a small arms instrutor in the navy and he always gives me **** for being a lefty when it comes to shooting lol... Ive never been hunting, I really want to for the exsperance... Who knows when I might need to know the trade...

14. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

Yeah, I am one of those stupid lefties too. All of my guns but one are "right handed" guns. My hunting rifle is a left handed bolt Model 77 Ruger in 300 Win.Mag. I have taken MANY animals with it. Honestly, just learn to get along with the right handed rifle. It will serve you better in the long run.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I absolutely disagree with your opinion.
    If you cannot find or the rifle that you really want isn't offered in a left hand version,then yes,you just have to deal with a right handed one.But there are left hand/right bolt stocks available for most guns in the aftermarket,so that also helps LH shooters.

And just how will a RH rifle serve a LH shooter better in the long run?
    If you plan on selling your guns,why buy them to begin with!
    There are plenty of LH shooters nowadays,and LH rifles don't stay on the rack very long.

While most gun shops or sporting goods stores don't stock LH rifles or if they do,don't have a big selection,it only takes a couple days for them to get one there from the distributers warehouse.
    Just find a rifle that fits you,and you like in a RH version,and have them get the same one in the LH version,or order it from someone online and have it shipped to a local dealer.

16. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

There is always the single shot option. You could get an Encore or a Ruger #1 or maybe a nice Sharps. Or more unique a Martini falling block. A neat thing about most Single shots is they are ambidexterous.

17. CaptCraig

CaptCraig New Member

Hey Chew, are you a left or right eye predominate shooter? I am left handed, but right eye, so I shoot right handed on rifle, but left handed on pistol. If you can shoot with your right eye and right handed, you will have a lot more guns to choose from.

18. Chewdo

Chewdo New Member

Im right handed but Im left eye domanat. so I shoot with my left, even with,handguns... Defantly better that way

19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I just bought a Ruger MKII Hawkeye Stainless Laminate in 30.06 for my son...he's a lefty. Very nice rifle! We have shot them side by side at 100yds. and the dang thing shoots as accurate as my CDL 30.06

I forgot to add...I liked it so much I bought an all-weather Hawkeye for myself in .223.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011