Optimal 1911 load?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by PigPen, Dec 17, 2010.

1. PigPen

PigPen New Member

Hi, I do not know if i should post this in the reloading part or the 1911 part but i have a Springfield GI and a Combat Loaded and i was wondering the best personal defense load (i am going to range shoot with same load so i am practicing with what i will be running so i dont want anything too "hot" to hurt the gun) Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use 230grn fmj to practice with. i use 230 grn hollowpoint for SD. ballistics at ranges of same weight bullets is close enough at pistol ranges to make no discernable difference. its pretty crazy less your uber rich to use hp ammo for practice.

just pick the same weight bullet in a cheaper range ammo and get after it.

i only fire enough SD rounds to be sure my firearm will function with the rounds then swith to ball ammo.

3. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Personally, I use the same handloads for SD and range use. 230 gr Berrys MFG FMJs with 6.2 grains of Herco behind them, brass that I pick up at the range, and CCI primers. In my opinion, I don't see the need for +P HP rounds for self defense use. A .45ACP punches pretty big holes in stuff regardless.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree. +p to me is just more pressure and more wear for no real benefit.

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Plus, the steel framed 1911 wasn't designed for that round, and I have heard that it can crack a frame. I've shot +P stuff out of a Bersa Thunder .45, and truthfully, it's didn't snap my shorts all that much.

6. PigPen

PigPen New Member

I was looking at 230 grain hornady hollow points and unique powder and cci primers would this be a good combo? at cabelas hornady fmjs are as much as their hollowpoints $20-25 for 100 bullets

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

get some plated 230grn fmj cheap as hell and work extremely well in 45acp for range rounds.

Berry's Manufacturing for reloading.

8. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

The "best" personal defense ammunition is whatever name brand, factory loaded, round you can shoot accurately, and will function in your gun 100% of the time. Gun magazine regularly run Personal Defense ammunition comparisons and post results. They also discuss if you should use hand loads for PD or not. Find a few of those and read all about it.

Whatever factory loaded PD round will shoot and eject 200 rounds with zero malfunction in your PD weapon, is good enough. There are no "magic bullets", you have to hit your target center mass.

Use FMJ (handholds or factory) for practice and HP for PD.

9. pointblank4445

pointblank4445 New Member

Well said.

However, as time goes on, I find myself carrying FMJ's in my carry gun as well. I have nothing against hp's for defense, but now that we are in the winter months here, I like the FMJ's when people tend to wear much more/thicker clothing. Food for thought