Optics

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jlee0812, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I'm looking for a good, reliable red dot. I know that aimpoint, eotech are great companies. Does anyone have any experience with a product at a lower price point that's quality? Any input is appreciated.

2. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Check out Primary Arms. People seem to like them. Vortex also.

3. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I'll check em out.. thanks

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I might suggest Lucid , Great optics, great company , great customer service , and not over priced.

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I second that notion. You can get them around $200, and look at the features it has, it has all the stuff you expect to get at a higher price point.

Attached Files:

6. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

Much appreciated guys... I just don't think I have to spend 600 to get a reliable sight system...

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

You could try UTG, their stuff either works just fine or is junk. And if you get one that's junk you can send it back and get them to send you another one of the same model and usually end up with one that does work. They take a little extra effort to sight in but hold a zero just fine. There's a thread on this forum on sighting in UTG. Price point $60. They're not parallax free.

I've shot AKs, M4s and an SKS with different UTG optics and they all got the job done.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Personally, I believe Aimpoint > Eotech. And I say that as someone who owns no Aimpoints but does currently own an Eotech XPS. So no homerism in play.

Wanna spend less? I fully endorse both the Vortex Strikefire and Vortex Sparc. I've spent a bunch of time behind each and have been absolutely satisfied. I might actually prefer my $180 Sparc to my $500 Eotech. No kidding.

The Lucid HD7 is a sight that I don't have a ton of experience with. But a number of folks I respect really like their Lucids. I almost bought one. The only sticking point was the weight (I prefer to keep it light, and they're a little on the bulky/heavy side). But they appear to be excellent optics.

For under $300, I really don't think I'd consider any AR red dot beyond Vortex, Lucid, and maybe Primary Arms...in that order. And if weight is no issue, Lucid may well trump Vortex.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

Awesome Intel... I'm thinking about a Vortex SPARC... looks good

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This is my #2 SHTF AR. It's a Daniel Defense with an EoTech XPS 2-0...pretty much a $2K rifle.

[​IMG]

But this is my #1. A BCM build that's $600 less and 1/2lb lighter, in part due to the Sparc sight.

[​IMG]

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Eotech rules!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  12. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

both look awesome... lol... I went with the SPARC.. picked it up at lunch... question.. does it cowitness to both flip up sights... or just the front?... and should I leave them up while sighting?

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It will include multiple bases that should allow for co-witness one way or another. But you'll probably end up setting it up exactly as I did. It's an excellent RDS, and very light. Basically it's a bit of an Aimpoint Micro ($600+) clone/ripoff.

Sight-in independent of (without) iron sights. Then adjust your irons to match your dot. That should suffice for whatever requires your rifle's attention.

14. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

Thanks again for all your help guys.. I couldn't be happier with the purchase... I got it sighted in We're shooting quarter sized 5 shot groups from bench.... still working on standing