Optics

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by nate913, Sep 20, 2014.

1. nate913

nate913 New Member

Well, I got a few in mind and wondering if anyone has any of them and what you guys would go with.

Usage is for shooting steel @80-150 yards

Bushnell TRS-25
    Bushnell 1-4-24 PCL with throwdown
    Vortex Strikefire
    Vortex spitfire
    Cabelas x3
    Burris prism
    Primary arms classic 30mm

also, any other suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the TRS25 and the Vortex Strikefire. Both good but you are looking at 3moa and 4moa dots. The Strikefire is bigger and might be a little quicker. I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 with a #4 reticle and a 1moa illuminated dot. For 50-100 yards the dots are ok but the scope comes in at longer distances. I cant comment on the others.

3. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

I ordered a primary arms scope with a ADM mount for a customer of mine and i am definitely impressed

4. nate913

nate913 New Member

Ya, leaning towards a 1-4-24. Primary arms has some nice options.

5. Mack57

Mack57 New Member

6. nate913

nate913 New Member

Wow, that's a great deal!!! Thanks!!

7. nate913

nate913 New Member

I hope this deal is going on Monday still as I need to put some money in the bank.

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Have both the TRS-25 and the StrikeFire. They both work great and affordable.
    I'd get the StrikeFire as it's only lil bit more expensive than the TRS-25.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I just got a Nikon 2-7x32BDC200. It is a shotgun scope with 75 yard parallax. I got it for $128 at optics planet. They have the same scope with 100 yard parallax for a good price. For your intended use the shotgun scope would be perfect.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've had multiple Vortex (Strikefire and Sparc) as well as a Bushnell TRS-25. These are excellent RD scopes for the money. I'd endorse all three.

But if you can get a Burris Prism for under $200 (after rebate), that's going to be the best deal out there if it suits your tastes. This is a $350 scope. A couple of my friends have them, and they're crystal clear. It's an excellent optic if fixed 3X magnification works for you.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't know what your budget might be, but if your budget is tight look at the fixed power scopes. You will get a lot more scope for your money. I have a 4x weaver scope on my 270 that is at least 25 years old. Todays scopes are much better than 25 years ago. My favorite plinking target is a self healing ball. I can see the self healing balls at 300 yards with the 4x. I usually set my variable power scopes at 5x and leave them at 5x.

The self healing balls are very challenging. I usually mow my field at 3" high. When the grass is fresh mowed you have a target about the size of a playing card.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  12. nate913

nate913 New Member

I keep going back and forth from the burris prism to the vortex strike fire with primary arms *3 magnifier

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is nothing wrong with waiting. People are done buying guns for a while. The price of scopes will drop as inventories build. Leupold puts some nice scopes on sale at half price. I really like Leupold scopes. Not only do they have clear, bright glass, Leupold usually makes a smaller and lighter scope than their competitors. You will not have to worry about a Leupold not being repeatable.

14. nate913

nate913 New Member

Is there a site that they are putting them on at half-price

15. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

If you haven't done so yet check out Cameralandny.com. They are a sponsor here I believe, and have so e good deals. I grabbed a Swarovski fro them last year for just a little more than I was planning on paying for a far lesser optic. Their demo deals can be fantastic. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. Mack57

Mack57 New Member

I was a lot like you just trying to find a good deal on optic for my colt A.R. 15. And I came across this Burris special price with the hundred dollar rebate I scraped up the two 259.89 and ordered the Burris. Shipping was free and I got it two days after I ordered. I already mailed off the rebate form hope it doesn't take forever like most. I havent mounted mine on the gun yet but from looking through it it is very very nice, and it comes with the mount also. So for 159.89 after rebate i'm very happy. The reticle on mine is straight so maybe they fixed that problem that they had in the past with those being crooked. I saw on their website that this scope also includes a lifetime anything warranty so if anything ever goes wrong you can always send it back and they repair it. Hard to beat.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

FWIW- Those add-on 3X magnifiers can result in a pretty cluttered and monstrous setup. I got one of the Primary Arms ones free when I bought an Eotech from them. Never considered installing it when I saw how everything would sit on the rifle.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Not that I am aware of. I haven't been looking for a Leupold scope either. The scope sales should be starting soon. The past couple years Leupold has put scopes on sale. Christmas and hunting season are right around the corner. Find the exact model of scope you are interested in. Use www.gunwatcher.com to find a sale. Click on accessories then enter the model you are looking to buy. Then click search. If you are not picky you can simply enter Leupold 3-9x40 rifle scope or whatever power range you desire.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014