optics: what to do

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by howhoo50, Dec 13, 2010.

1. howhoo50

howhoo50 New Member

Hi all, just got my first AR, RRA varmint A4 20" bbl, chomping at the bit to get to the range as soon as weather gets better. I will only be using for target, probably 200 yds mostly and was wondering what kind of optics would be most suitable. I see all kinds of hi tech stuff out there like holosights, lasers, red dot, green dot, etc, and of course ye olde tried and true telescopic sights, which I get the feeling is where I'm ultimately headed, but can someone please give me the basic rundown on the different types of optics, what they're used for, and what kind of set-up would be good for my purposes? Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm guessing you'll want a scope for distances that far out.

Red dots and halos are mostly used for 0-100yards. They're fast on target and you can shoot both eyes open allowing you to keep better control of your surroundings

The only lasers Ive used were I.R. and wouldn't be of much use to most of us.

3. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I would think that for 200 yards and in, than just a decent variable power scope would do the trick. I shoot out to 500 yards with my AR in the Bushnell Banner that is on top of it, and I don't have any real complaints in that it was a 150.00 dollar scope. I am hoever going to be putting nicer optics on there soon. But for 200 yards, a scope like the Bushnell would serve you great.

4. JD57

JD57 New Member

I've got a Nikon M-223 3-12 x 42SF that works real well
    on my SIG556. It's a good scope for around $400.

5. howhoo50

howhoo50 New Member

thank you for your posts gentlemen. That Nikon m-223 looks awesome- I read somewhere that when it all boils down a good scope is more important than how good the gun is, so I will make the investment and get a high quality one right off the bat. Thanks again guys.

6. Fourbits

Fourbits New Member

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

If you're never going to fire that gun at a target past 200 yds, then a 3-9x is more than enough. Heck, you could even save a bit and get a quality fixed power. . . But, I'd bet you're eventually gonna want to shoot beyond 200 yards, especially with that gun. Sure, most of your shooting will take place from 0-200 yds, but you should consider an optic that is capable of reaching a bit further.

Go with at least a 3-12x probably a 4.4-14x would serve you best

This is one of the (if not the) best spots to buy optics.

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

I got a Nikon Monarch, paid $150 under the next closest price available online and there was absolutely NO evidence of use.

8. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's just how it goes, my friend. I was just regurgitating info. picked up in books, at the range, local shops and here. :)

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Once you decide on a quality scope you have one other consideration that is very important to the proper mounting of the scope. You should either get a Rock River Scout Rail or one of the newer mounts that moves the scope rings forward so that you have the correct eye relief even when you might be shooting prone. Without one of the above the eye piece on the scope will be way back on the stock of the rifle causing you to "goose neck" to shoot the rifle or eliminating the possibility of getting a good cheek weld on the stock to shoot particularly in the prone position. The reason for this is the Flat Top Picatinny Rail on the Receiver itself is too short. And when you move the larger scope forward to get the proper eye reliefe the elevation turret of the scope strikes the rear of the front scope ring preventing you from moving the scope forward for proper eye relief unless you use on of the above units. The eye piece of the scope should be even with the top rear of the receiver where the charging handle goes into. And should not stick out behind the charging handle and latch. This will just save you some headaches.

11. howhoo50

howhoo50 New Member

Yes, most of my shooting will be from a bench rest or bi-pod at the 200 or even some 300 yd distances. Here on eastern Long Island it's slim pickins when it comes to public ranges. But I get the message that it's all about precision. And that down the road it would be nice to already have a quality scope for longer distances, so with that in mind I'm looking at Nikon, only bc a friend of mine works there and can get deep discounts for me. Diggsbakes, that website has great prices for gently used merchandise, I thank you for that, but the Nikon connection is too attractive to ignore. And thank you Sniper03 for the tip about a proper rail mount. Anyway, Ken's 'bigger is better' philosophy strikes a chord and I was wondering if the following scopes would be good choices, and which one would be best for me; first I was looking at the m-223 which is 3-12 x 42, but now I'm inclined to consider the Monarch line 4-16 x 50, 6-24 x 50, 8-32 x 50, or the Gold 2.5-10 x 50. Ken would probably say get the 8-32 lol, and I would cause of the 32 power, but is it possible the 8 power is too strong for 200 yds, that there's no option for less than 8. Let me just say that being the novice I am, I don't know what a target would look like thru these quality scopes.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Howhoo,

Before you buy also have your friend show you a 30mm tube scope!
    Unbelievable difference in light gathering. Of course price is likely a consideration. But take a look at one anyway. I have a Leupold VX III in 3.5 - 10 X 50. Model 54912 30 mm Tube with Illuminated Reticle that I like. But I also have one of the new Nikon Coyote Scopes in 1" tube that is very clear. But anyway save your money and buy the best optics you can. Someone has said we normally do it all wrong! We buy a good rifle and put a cheap scope on it when we should buy the best scope possible and put it on a rifle! Nikon makes some good quality scopes.
    Just don't forget the mounting issue.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I'm running leupold 6-18x40 target on both my 308 and 223.

Fine duplex on the 308, target dot on the 223.

14. howhoo50

howhoo50 New Member

Yes, most of my shooting will be from a bench rest or bi-pod at the 200 or even some 300 yd distances. Here on eastern Long Island it's slim pickins when it comes to public ranges. But I get the message that it's all about precision. And that down the road it would be nice to already have a quality scope for longer distances, so with that in mind I'm looking at Nikon, only bc a friend of mine works there and can get deep discounts for me. Diggsbakes, that website has great prices for gently used merchandise, I thank you for that, but the Nikon connection is too attractive to ignore. And thank you Sniper03 for the tip about a proper rail mount. Anyway, Ken's 'bigger is better' philosophy strikes a chord and I was wondering if the following scopes would be good choices, and which one would be best for me; first I was looking at the m-223 which is 3-12 x 42, but now I'm inclined to consider the Monarch line 4-16 x 50, 6-24 x 50, 8-32 x 50, or the Gold 2.5-10 x 50. Ken would probably say get the 8-32 lol, and I would cause of the 32 power, but is it possible the 8 power is too strong for 200 yds, that there's no option for less than 8. Let me just say that being the novice I am, I don't know what a target would look like thru these quality scopes.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

8x is not to strong for 200 at all.

16. Squirrel_Slayer

With no regard to price, I would recomment at least a 4-16 power. when you start aiming at golf ball sized targets at 200 yards, and your optic only goes up to 8 power, you will curse yourself for not getting something more powerful.

17. howhoo50

howhoo50 New Member

let me rephrase that- since most variable scopes are 4x zoom, ie 2.5-10,
    4-16, 6-24, 8-32 etc, can you think of any circumstance where you would actually prefer less magnification than 8x? Or is that really not an issue. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts whatever variable scope one has it's always cranked up to maximum power anyway, lol.

18. Squirrel_Slayer

No, I don't see the need for shooting anything with less than 8 power, except for maybe shooting at 25 yards. That's just my experience. But you will definitely not have your scope cranked up all the way. Just wait till you are shooting at the range and there is alot of mirage, believe you me, you will have that scope turned down.

19. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Spike Tactical optics?

I'm digging this thread as I am starting my 10-day waiting period. Right now
    it comes with standard iron sights on the carry handle. The Spike Tactical
    does have a flat top I can mount an optic to.

Ideally here are some points I would like in a scope:
    • Man-sized target at 400 yards (not further than)
    • Head-sized (or smaller) target at 200 yards
    • Quick target acquisition
    • Bonus if it works well in low light

P.S. I know so little about optics, I don't understand all the numbers you
    are posting as this is my first long rifle.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like you need a magnified optic with a off-set red dot.