Optics Selection, Need Input

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jnettrecker, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jnettrecker

jnettrecker New Member

So this is the skinny. I need a good quality scope to put on my .270 for this hunting season. Challenge is due to some unfortunate circumstances cash is VERY short right now so I would like to be under $300. I know, you get what you pay for and no one knows this better than me, but sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. Obviously used is fine, so if you have a lead on one, please pm me.

I am hunting in an area where I can easily take shots out to 600 yds (& am confident doing so as I spent many moons behind an M24 in Iraq). There are a plethora of scopes that fit the criteria below and trying to get my hands on them all to check clarity etc, is not only unpractical but virtually impossible. Hence the request for your professional help and input :)

I would like the scope to meet the following.

-4-12x40mm (or larger)
    -Good eye relief
    -As wide a field of view as possible
    -30mm tube preferred but 1" ok
    -Side parallax adjustment
    -Mil-Dot or equivalent reticule. I have seen several "range finding" reticules that are acceptable but I guess my default preference would be regular old mil-dot as it is what I know. But again, any of them should work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

2. JRDale

JRDale New Member

I hate to say it but for under $300 is prey much impossible. If you are stretching out to 500-600 yards you need a good quality scope. One that has clarity and will take the shock of the rifle. the worst thing you can do is put a bad hit on an animal and loose it. I have done it before and it will put a hurt in your gut for a while.

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

In todays world if you want good glass you have to pay! look at the Nikons
    the glass is clear and their not priced to high like others.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK Josh. You should know better then most the effects of all the factors that come into play w/ a long range shot. You have a .270, hunting rifle. You did not state w/ brand, model. It is no M24, Nor is you scope requirement up to the task. Be realistic w/ 300 yards. Take a look at Sightron scopes.
    Sightron Scopes

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. hbomb

hbomb New Member

Check out Redfield, They're made by Leupold and great for the money.

7. jnettrecker

jnettrecker New Member

Well guys I broke down and bought a 4-12x50 Nikon. $500 clams but with a beautiful picture. And yes, my Thompson Center Icon w/ 140gr Hornady SST will easily clear 600yds and shoots just as good as my m24 did :)

Thanks for the input.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Icon is a nice rifle. Now you are ready to hunt. Best of luck this season.

9. remi514

remi514 New Member

Red field revolution