Optics help for ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bungiex8e8, Feb 24, 2014.

1. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

need help im stuck and don't know what to do. Im getting an ar here soon. I want to set it up for woodland warfare just in case. Im not looking to get out past 400 but would be nice for field shots. The shots im looking at will prob be from 50 to 250. I want a scope that can take bangs with out breaking waterproof shockproof. Something i can acquire a target fast and efficient. i do want mount a low profile red dot on top or canted. The scope i want has to work without batteries. Theres just so many choices i dont know what to do. I was looking at the nikon m223 or p223 bdc but i never looked through those slim scopes like the m223 before and not sure how fast target acquisition is and advice would be helpful. The Leopold ar scopes are to expensive so thats out of the question but would be nice to have.

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you haven't ordered your AR, I would look hard at one of the Aimpoint Pro uppers/rifle packages from PSA. When they have them on sale (often) you can get what amounts to a $1000 rifle and a $400 optic for about $1k. They also sell upper packages with the Aimpoint.

Both the rifle and the optic are excellent. Impossible to beat for that price in my opinion.

Something like this seems to be available for around $1000 about once a month.

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I agree ^^^^ the Aimpoint Pro and the Nikon 223 will cover 25-200 yards as good as anything. (First hand, both) I ended up combining the best if both by using the Leupold FireDot 3-9x. It has a red dot in the crosshairs.

4. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I agree^^^^, I have the Leopold AR Mod 1, nice piece of glass for that range. fire dot is nice but does take batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Not sure which model it was, but I used a Nikon P-223? at the range the other day on my friends AR. I have to say, it was pretty freakin awesome. I have an Aimpoint and magnifier, but I really liked that one. It had a magnified dot (I believe), and was a 4x fixed zoom. At 25 yards you could acquire fast enough and I'd imagine it could reach out pretty well too. Glass was surprisingly very clear and bright. I think he paid 99$ on sale. He said normally it was 200 or 250. Got an amazing deal.

6. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

ive been doing alot more looking. I have a question how is the redfield battle zone 3-9 with the bdc knobs. How clear is this scope compared to a leupold rifleman 3-9

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

If u r looking at "woods fighting" why not take a red dot or holographic like an EOTech512 or AIMpoint PRO.

I think a traditional glass might be overkill for distance here and no need to accept the speed penalty of a tradtional glass over a red dot

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Aimpoint Pro as others mentioned gets my vote.

9. BRL

BRL New Member

Might want to see about used scopes at your LGS or even at gun shows, as I got this nice Leupold used VX-III 1.75-6X32 for $300 OTD.

Beautiful scope and no batteries required either. :)

[​IMG]

10. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

im putting a reflex sight on it to for close quarters

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I went with a trijicon tr24-G for my scar17. Gives me 4x for longer range shooting target knobs under caps at 1x its a better optic than a aimpoint or eotech. Its true 1x let's you work it without repeating a cheek weld just like a holo sight or rds. Its fov is better than either aimpoints or eotechs as you can go a bit further left right up or down before losing the reticle.

Close to an all in one as I have ever found

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

It takes batteries but my vote is the EOTech XPS or EXPS Holographic Sights. When a battery will last 600 hours on setting 12 (Normal Setting) on one 123 Lithium Battery and has a Battery Warning System in place that warns you for the last 20% of the remaining battery life. It is of little concern to me it has a battery, related to the advantage of the Holographic sights. If an operator can not respond to the (5) Flash Warning when the unit is started up each time when it is activated for the remaining 120 hours of battery life, and put a new battery in during the estimated 120 hours of warning time before the battery goes dead! It is questionable if they have little business with a rifle in the first place. And they for sure would not survive in a combat or confrontational environment. However, not to offend my friends the Pro Point and Trijicon units they are also very fine units. I have utilized all of the above units for years. And it is a matter of knowing your equipment and maintaining it. Then you should have no problems. All the above have stood the test of combat in all our recent wars. So when it comes down to it, it is a choice preference of what you like the best.:)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

my only issue with eotechs is ive personally seen several just crap out under range conditions. aimpoints i have a bit more faith in but im not a fan of electronic sights over all. i just dont think they are rugged enough.

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Good thread because I am in some what of the same situation. I acquired a Ruger SR 762 this past weekend and was wondering about optics as well. This is my first AR rifle and have no idea. Will they work on the 7.62/308 as well?

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Pretty much anything will unless its got a bdc for something other than 7.62x51. Even then 556 and 308 are almost identical out to 300yds in terms of bullet drop and hitting minute of goblin.

Eotech aimpoint trijicon nikon leupold vortex.

I think with a 762 you really need at least a 1-4x to take advantage of its capabilities

16. rockratt

Thank you JonM. As I said I have no idea what I need for this type rifle. I have shot 308 caliber in lever and bolt guns for years and have a good idea when it comes to them but this is a first for me and I know there are folks on this forum such as yourself that know a hell of a lot more about them and have more knowledge than I and I thank each and everyone of you for your input.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

I went trijicon 1-4x on my scar17 since it will act as a rds or magnified optic. They aren't on the cheaper end of things in terms of what most folks consider their optic budget but its a smoking deal if you consider it against optics in its price range or similar capabilities.

18. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I went with a Vortex 1-6x24 HD on my AR. The warranty alone justifies the cost, not to mention the clear bright glass and illuminated reticle.

19. rockratt

2000.00 for the gun and I can't see putting a 100.00 scope on it. That would be kinda like putting a 4 cyl in a Corvette. Would like to keep it under a 1000.00 if possible.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have no personal gripes with Eotech (I have an XPS-2), but I've heard those I respect echo the same sentiments. My cousin is a border patrol armorer (demos service guns, trains FBI, etc). He can't stand Eotech. Says they've broken down time and again in the field and stated that their next contract will be with Aimpoint. Apparently the Eotech power connections have a tendency to fail...plus Aimpoint just has a way longer battery life.

Both have worked fine for me to this point. But given that info (from someone with more extensive experience), I would tend to lean toward Aimpoint when it comes to a $400 red dot.

Buy whatcha like. Vortex is also a great $150 alternative. It might not be equal to a $400 optic, but it's not as far off as the price difference would imply.