Optics for Mark III

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by cakeyes, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cakeyes

cakeyes New Member

I would like to mount some kind of optics for my Ruger Mark III for target shooting. I'm thinking about getting involed in compitition. I see all sorts of red dot and other types of optics. Any suggestions, thanks

2. PaulC

PaulC New Member

Anything UltraDot

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There are a bunch out there.

I have a cheap tasco on my neos but it is not a comp gun either.

FOr that duty I would go with a halo type sight.

4. Glockmaniac

Glockmaniac New Member

i switched from the stock front sight on my marklll target 22-45 bull barrel ,to the HI-VIZ red dot(or yellow).i keeped the rear sight wich is fully adjustable. the hi-viz system has changed the sight picture for a better contrasting picture....all good to me,worth the money.

in stock trim,i've tried to put a drop of liquid paper on the front stock needle sight for a better contrast and i didnt liked it.

the hi-viz system is pretty cool. just need a re-sighting of the rear, just raised the rear 2 clicks and it's now perfect.

5. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I just bought (but haven't mounted it yet) a SIGHTMARK Sure Shot Red-Dot Reflex Sight (Silver Finish) for my new Browning Buckmark Camper.

[​IMG]

I've ordered a Tactical Solutions Buckmark Integral Scope Base that hasn't showed up yet . It will be here Monday and I'll get it mounted then.

[​IMG]

I can't wait to try them out.

:)

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Went with a BSA Halo on my Neos, shoots great.

7. ThatGunGuy47

ThatGunGuy47 New Member

Ultradot is not a good choice

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKN4U9M2SU]YouTube - Ultradot Strike Dot: product misrepresentation? Decide for yourself[/ame]

8. catnipp

catnipp New Member

sights!

I tried BSA, ultra dot and several others. I like the center point! I got it from optics planet! I just won 1st place 3rd in a row league with it! ( average is 459, two were 469 out of 500 for a 10 week shoot ) It has a small dot, red or green and is variable. The parallax is almost 0! If I bench the gun and move my eye the dot stays on target at 50 ft even at the edges of the optic glass! I usually just barely turn it on so its very low and looks the smallest! At 50 ft the dot just fits in the 10 rung on a B2 target! I guess its a 2.5 MOA at that distance unlike most of the 5 MOA and even smaller than the ultra dot. I got an ultra dot and had to send it back because it had some junk floating in it. So they replaced it and would not refund it. So I have a new one here that I dont use and dont like! Amie

I forgot to mention I had a friend of mine who has a gun smith shop drill, tapp and put a waver rail on the stock target barrel, Usually I use my TSOL 8" pac lite barrel and had it include the tactical rail. I also use the blue lock tight because the screws DO come loose!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. catnipp

catnipp New Member

10. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I finally got it all mounted and I like the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps.

11. Dave_Bone

Dave_Bone New Member

I too put the Sight Mark on my MK III. Zeroed it in last weekend but, won't get a chance to compete with it until the 21st. That will tell the story :D

12. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Got a mueller quick shot on my mark III 22/45. Love it, love it, love it. I did have an older model for about two years and noticed the rflective glass was loose. Called Mueller, friendly and helpful as can be. Sent it in and they sent me a brand new latest one. No problems.:)

13. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

mueller quick shot

Attached Files:

• 2245.jpg
      2245.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Got a Bushnell Holo site on my MkII slabside..

15. 38super

38super New Member

Cheap optics are just that. In bright light they will either lose their dot or it will be very faint. Not good in competition. Red dot MOA size is listed at a 100 yds. Each time you half the distance the dot gets smaller by one-half. Example:

100 yds - 5 MOA
    50 yds - 2.5 MOA
    25 yds - 1.25 MOA
    12.5 yds - 0.625 MOA

Other than bullseye shooting you need a large dot at close range. Look at buying a red dot scope with several dot sizes. Maybe a Millet or Nikon for example. 10 or 12 MOA is ideal for competition shooting. Yoy also might look at a C-More which you can buy different dot size modules for seperately. The modules take about 30 seconds to change.

IMHO it's worth investing in a good optic then you won't get frustrated.

All my scoped pistols have Aimpoint COMP XD scopes in 7 MOA or 10 MOA. Unfortunately these scopes are no longer available.

16. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

Had tasco red dots on my Ruger .22 and on my .45 for bullseye. Took quite a few trophies with them. I'm sure there are more modern red dots out there, but whenever I go to the range nowadays (haven't shot competition for years because of arthritis) those propoints still put them in the black every time.