optics and iron sights at same time

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by PeteZaHut, Jan 4, 2011.

1. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

Does anyone know of an assault rifle that you can mount optics to, but also use the iron sights without removing the optics in case it malfunctions?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

you would need either a see through mount or co-witness sights/optic combo.

my colt SP1 ar15 has a scope on the carry handle which you can look under and still use the irons.

flattop ARs can utilize optical sights with iron sights its called co-witness.

but mine arent assault rifles. ive never assaulted anyone with any of my firearms.

there are far more assault cars, assault fists, assault knives, assault boots, assault bats in the world than assault rifles. very few firearms are used to assault people compaired to other objects. please dont call them that since that isnt what they are.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

3. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

They may not always be used for assault, but that is what they're made for, hence the name.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the term assault rifle is term coined by adolf hitler. it is a translation of sturmgewehr. the liberal media in america quickly adopted it to demonize all military style rifles.

so if you want to feed the myth of assault rifles and let the liberal media continue to demonize firearms its up to you.

5. Yes please dont video game lingo guns, please. a rifle is a rifle, a pistole is a pistol, and so on if you wanted to you cold assault with any firearm. To offer an answer to your question there are many options for just about any rifle out there if you have the money. Ak's, Ar's, Mini 14's, so on. By the way JonM how is that carry handle doing for you?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

waiting on a sight base thingy to knock the fsb pins out so i can swap barrel nuts the one on my current barrel doesnt line up with enough torque. got it on order.

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

rifle w/full auto= assault rifle

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"Assault" or "Sturm" in German is used in the Military sense not the penal code sense. To assault a position and take it by force of arms. No one in this day and age of belt fed machine guns would "assault" a fortified position with semi-automatic firearms.

An assault rifle is by the most commonly used definition in the gun/military community is a shoulder fired, air cooled, detachable magazine fed, using an intermediate power rifle cartridge that is capable of selectable semi automatic OR full automatic/burst fire.

An AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.
    An M-16 IS an assault rifle.
    A true AK-47 (or AKM or AK-74) IS an assault rifle.
    The semi-automatic copies of AK-47's are NOT assault rifles.
    An M-1 carbine is NOT an assault rifle.
    An M-2 carbine (while selective fire) is NOT an assault rifle, the cartridge is too weak to be considered an intermediate rifle cartridge.
    An M-14 is NOT an assault rifle. The cartridge is considered a FULL POWER rifle cartridge.
    An M-1A is NOT an assault rifle. It is not selective fire.

The MP-43/MP-44/StG-44 IS the original assault rifle. Hitler allegedly coined the name Sturmgewer (Storm rifle, Assault rifle).

The term is misused, deliberately by the liberal media and politicians to demonize all self loading firearms. We prefer the term SUR or Sport Utility Rifle.

9. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

I understand that the vast majority of civilian assault rifles are not used for assault, but they are clearly modified versions of military assault rifles. If I take a tank, slow down its rate of fire a little bit, and use it to demolish old buildings, it's still a tank. There is no need for a name change.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

the name change is changing a rifle name into a politically correct 'assault rifle" in order to bring about feelings of fear from the unwashed who think keith oberman is a genius. liberals use that term to give a bad name to an inanimate object so they can ban all weapons.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Pete, we're glad to have you here. However, I suggest you listen to the members and correct your terminology. You'll make no friends here if you use the anti gunners vocabulary.

12. robocop10mm

That attitude is exactly what the radical left wants you to have. To own a tank is to have ZERO rate of fire. You do not get the luxury of having the main gun operational nor the belt fed machineguns. If you want a civilian version of a tank it is called a BULLDOZER! To call a Cat D-7 a tank is silly. Can you demolish a building with it? Of course. Can you shoot other tanks with it? No!

Frankly, I think your analogy is absurd.

You still miss the point that the connotation of the word "assault" is clearly different than the one you have been brainwashed into believing. It is NOT intended for the crime of assault, but rather the military act of assault.

We are not advocating a change of name. The liberals are the ones that changed the name. A semi-automatic rifle is a semi-automatic rifle. To call it an assault rifle IS changing its name.

13. robocop10mm

What's that smell?????

Is it TROLL? Or just rotten eggs?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Where the hell is Tango??

I believe he coined the term 'Sport Utility Rifle' or SUR for exactly this application.

There are no "ASSAULT" weapons because the word "assault" is a noun that is used in conjunction with a statement intended to make it a verb.

Unless your weapon can perform an action on it's own WITH INTENT, then it can not be an assault weapon.

Hence, in these parts, SUR is the correct and beloved term.

JD

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Well said[​IMG]

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, back to the question at hand. If you want a scoped semi-auto w/ iron sight capability, the AK is real easy.

[​IMG]

In the days gone by it was the norm for military Sniper rifles.
    These are side mounts.
    [​IMG]
    This is a low turret w/ See through rings as all German Snipers were.
    [​IMG]
    More modern, 1960's..'70's vintage.
    [​IMG]

17. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^^ I agree on the side-mount; my buddy's relatively inexpensive WASR10 (semi-auto AK-type multi-purpose rifle ;) ) came with the mounting points for an inexpensive removable side-mount rig. There is a popular one that has two picatinny rails to allow the attachment of not only a scope but also a laser pointer for amusing your pets.
    :)

example http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-6.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

19. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

As long as you have a picitinny rail, they make the small adapter that goes out to the side at a 45 degree angle that you can mount a sight such as the burris red dot, compact and easy to use. The mount is even scalloped so it can fit under the scope, I think it's made by weaver, about $27.00. I have one and find that it's very well made and works fantastic.
    I put a light on mine so I can just hit the switch on the back for monentary on-off use. I don't like the cords and pad that always seems in the way.
    It positions the light so I can just use one finger and easily turn on the light when I want and still have a grip for fast fire if needed.
    If your scope goes south, just turn on the red dot, cant your semi auto rifle to a 45 degree angle and fire away, nice and compact and you can keep the scope down low to the rail.

John K