Firearms Talk banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,303 Posts
Kfox

Very well stated!
:)
I also do not kill anything but predators that I do not eat. In fact I did not need any meat, so the last two years I never shot the first deer at Deer Camp in Texas. In fact I saw some fantastic 8-10 point bucks while in the Tower Stands but just enjoyed watching them. Did shoot a few Coyotes and one Bobcat last trip. The Rancher wants every one of the killed that we see. Obviously because he is a Cattle Rancher and the predators prey on the Calves when born, and for us protecting the Deer Fawns!
Like you!
I catch a lot of Smallmouth here on the Lake and they all go back for another day and for someone else to enjoy
the fight! ;)

As an additional thought!
One of my pet peeves is watching Rifle and Bow Hunters on TV that are so lacking in skills they probably should not be hunting let alone filming their episode. Hitting the animals everywhere but in the area to dispatch them as soon as possible without the animal suffering for hours. That PMO!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
A member of our time muzzle loading club raised buffalo. We had buffalo chili at the yearly eating meeting/picnic. If was good for a different reason. Buffalo was leaner than what is usual in chili.

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
Of course you could also save a lot of money and time and just go down to the slaughter-house and slip somebody a twenty dollar bill to let you off a Angus hefer. Have a nice photo taken of you standing with your hand on the carcass and your gun in your other hand. You wouldn't even have to worry about how to deal with the remains, you could stand at the other end of the line and pick up some burger meat. A win-win!

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Of course you could also save a lot of money and time and just go down to the slaughter-house and slip somebody a twenty dollar bill to let you off a Angus hefer.
Funny you should bring this up. Seem like there a bunch of domestic cattle DNA mixed in with that of the Bison.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Bison meat is, to me, pretty darn good eatin'. Had an encounter with a small herd in Canada when we topped a hill as they decided to be there. We were towing our 5th wheel, managed to stop and watch them up close. Pretty neat. One was rolling in dust, the rest just standing around. Our dogs in our truck went crazy, but the big things weren't bothered.
Finally we edged through them.

Like most things, if they're not marketable (alive or butchered), they're not likely to grow in numbers and that'd be a great loss. Populations beyond the carrying capacity of anything endanger not only a single species but everything else as well.

I have no interest in shooting anything I don't eat and shooting an animal in a pen or high fence isn't hunting.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Bison meat is, to me, pretty darn good eatin'. Had an encounter with a small herd in Canada when we topped a hill as they decided to be there. We were towing our 5th wheel, managed to stop and watch them up close. Pretty neat. One was rolling in dust, the rest just standing around. Our dogs in our truck went crazy, but the big things weren't bothered.
Finally we edged through them.

Like most things, if they're not marketable (alive or butchered), they're not likely to grow in numbers and that'd be a great loss. Populations beyond the carrying capacity of anything endanger not only a single species but everything else as well.

I have no interest in shooting anything I don't eat and shooting an animal in a pen or high fence isn't hunting.
The Buffalo Ranch here has it's own meat store for it. He processes it and sells in his market there. If you come up US 61 towards Davenport, you will see it on the right just a few miles South of Blue Grass. If I wanted a Buffalo, I would probably have him quote me a price for one processed. Or, just run over there and buy what ever cut I may want.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I’m talking road kill like run over with tire marks. I took one that was hit right in front of my house one time. But out of the 3 or 4 that were splattered in the past 10 years I passed.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I haven't seen much bison roadkill..... That's not a good option.
Years ago, headed up to the Yellowstone valley and had a small herd of bison transit the edge of the valley along a portion of the roadway. Got a bit off the road, turned off the engine, and went completely meek and quiet for the ~10mins it took for them to pass by.

"Roadkill" is an interesting concept, in such a situation. The phrase went through my head, at the time, and left me thinking that I would be the roadkill if one of them got ornery enough to plow me and my vehicle into mulch. Big animals, at ~11ft long the largest were nearly as big as my car, with some weighing more than a ton.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Years ago, headed up to the Yellowstone valley and had a small herd of bison transit the edge of the valley along a portion of the roadway. Got a bit off the road, turned off the engine, and went completely meek and quiet for the ~10mins it took for them to pass by.

"Roadkill" is an interesting concept, in such a situation. The phrase went through my head, at the time, and left me thinking that I would be the roadkill if one of them got ornery enough to plow me and my vehicle into mulch. Big animals, at ~11ft long the largest were nearly as big as my car, with some weighing more than a ton.
You got it. That's why I said I hadn't seen much bison road kill. There are bison raised in Missouri (or used to be when we live there). One dark rainy night, we came a hair's width of hitting one in the road that got loose. I still shudder to think how that would have come out. It looked as big as a locomotive and probably was close to it. Cows are small compared to a full grown bison.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I wonder why that park doesn't do as they do in South Dakota. Video here is a long one of the 2020 round up. Gotta just skip ahead like I did. Various herds located and all drove to into one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We had some friends visiting. Drove through the Refuge at Ft Sill. Rounded a corner and mature bull was walking down the middle of towards us.. He never wavered. I came to a complete stop.
He meandered past us, hitting my mirror, as he passed. As his shoulder went by, the side window view was obliterated, with nothing but hair being visible.

They are BIG.

In Yellowstone, we were driving across a valley and traffic stops.

We are sitting, wondering what is happening. We finally see, 4 brown bears walking down the center, between the line of vehicles.

Idiots are throwing food out of their windows.

I hear a horn blowing. 3 vehicles in front of us, 2 college girls, in a MG, with the top down.

I called them to get out, on the shoulder and come get in my truck.

Which they gleefully done.
A few minutes later, a bear climbed into the MG and destroyed their lunch sacks.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
You got it. That's why I said I hadn't seen much bison road kill. There are bison raised in Missouri (or used to be when we live there). One dark rainy night, we came a hair's width of hitting one in the road that got loose. I still shudder to think how that would have come out. It looked as big as a locomotive and probably was close to it. Cows are small compared to a full grown bison.
Speaking of the size of these things, I was once driving along in a puny convertible where free-range cattle were common. Dinky little one-lane country road, winding and falling with the line of the ridge. Up on the left the land rose about ~6ft above the roadway ... and to the right, the land fell away from the roadway. This line of a couple dozen cows were taking the leap, up and over the road surface from the little ledge to the left of the road out over the drop-off to the right of the road. Had to have been a leap of ~15ft, plus the drop. Cow after cow was leaping across, a bit like those African wildebeest leaping off the cliffs into the river. Got me thinking. If a cow can do that, what could a bison do, at twice its weight and who knows how much stronger.

Funny, the things we see when we're out and about in the country.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
We had some friends visiting. Drove through the Refuge at Ft Sill. Rounded a corner and mature bull was walking down the middle of towards us.. He never wavered. I came to a complete stop.
He meandered past us, hitting my mirror, as he passed. As his shoulder went by, the side window view was obliterated, with nothing but hair being visible.

They are BIG.

In Yellowstone, we were driving across a valley and traffic stops.

We are sitting, wondering what is happening. We finally see, 4 brown bears walking down the center, between the line of vehicles.

Idiots are throwing food out of their windows.

I hear a horn blowing. 3 vehicles in front of us, 2 college girls, in a MG, with the top down.

I called them to get out, on the shoulder and come get in my truck.

Which they gleefully done.
A few minutes later, a bear climbed into the MG and destroyed their lunch sacks.
Yup. Could've seen that coming.

I was very happy that the line of bison simply edged to the other side of the country road, there, while I was tucked off the edge of the other side of that road. I've never been more quiet and meek in all my life, as when that string of bison came walking by. Made sure to not make direct eye contact. Didn't move much. Thought calm thoughts, the whole time. And was quite thankful when they'd passed.

In Glacier NP, one time, I saw a brown bear about a third of a mile up the road, heading up the ridge to the left. Wasn't interested in any of the folks down on the road, who were just driving slowly on by. I edged off to the side of the road and waited until it'd headed quite a bit further up that slope, before continuing on.

I don't mind the animals around. Like it, actually. But I wouldn't trust the "park" carnivores any further than I could toss 'em. Can't be outrun, can't be outfought, can't be reasoned with, if they're of a mind to show who's the boss that day. (And, like you say, many will have learned that humans can be a modest source of food.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
City dwellers can be extremely ignorant of nature's creatures.

I had a stud horse. He was foaledin my barn and I had hands on from the moment he hit the the ground.
He was as bad as my Labrador about getting underfoot and wanting attention.

When I had a long gun in hand, he would stay away, knowing the sound of gun fire.

I took a co-worker lut one morning, trying to call in coyotes.
We managed to get a couple in and he got some shooting.

We were discussing lunch and he seen the horses. Made a comment about my claims of him being like dog.

I stood up and called. He came running from 600 yards away. C me up beside me and stopped , rubbing his nose on my shoulder.

Stanley stood there in amazement. He reaches in his coat and has a oats&honey granola bar. He asked if he could feed it to Thunder?

I tell him to go ahead, if he wants a horse in his back pocket all day.

He did it. He learned how strong and pushy a horse can be.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
... He reaches in his coat and has a oats&honey granola bar. He asked if he could feed it to Thunder?

I tell him to go ahead, if he wants a horse in his back pocket all day.

He did it. He learned how strong and pushy a horse can be.
I've had a few "farm" horses decide I was "best buddies" and could be nudged into producing yet another bonbon for them. Shoved right off my feet, a couple of times, as I recall. Strong animals.

Can't imagine what a frisky bison might do, if presented with the joy of a granola bar (or whatever), just by not appreciating what fragile little things we humans really are. We should be thankful they're vegetarians.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts