Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum. Looking into relocating to iowa. Regarding Bison, they are very good to eat. Not much of a challenge to hunt. it more like a slaughter. Now if you had only a spear, that would sporting. Anyone here ever walk in a bison pasture? Unlike cattle they are not happy to see you.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I am new to this forum. Looking into relocating to iowa. Regarding Bison, they are very good to eat. Not much of a challenge to hunt. it more like a slaughter. Now if you had only a spear, that would sporting. Anyone here ever walk in a bison pasture? Unlike cattle they are not happy to see you.
Why, yes I have. And they are not very happy to see you do it. There is a Bison Ranch about 10 minutes from me. Right here in Iowa.
Where about here in Iowa are you thinking of moving to?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I will bet you this special hunt will be one expensive trip for those selected. How you going to salvage the meat from a 700 to 3000lb animal on foot with no motorized assistance?
Yes!!!!

Dealing with an animal, especially a large animal, in a situation like that ain't my bag. 30 years ago a friend killed a huge bull elk on private property north of the wildlife refuge. The terrain was rough, the temperature was nearly 90 degrees and the hunter had made no preparation for anything. No ice, no pack board, no helper/s, no nothing. Too late he called another man and myself. By the time we arrived the meat was spoiled.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
kfox, I will take you up, on your most generous offer

Cliffalling, they are picking 12. IF you are 1 of 12, that is the hunt of a lifetime. Yes, comparable to winning a lottery, but 12 will win. Can't win, unless you play.
Hell, my wife and I both put in for it.

We're looking to add a degree of difficulty to it, if one of us gets it. Carry a pistol, but try to take it down with a bow.

Because if we're going to do something once in a lifetime like that (Well, twice in my case), we want to do it right. Using the modern version of what our ancestors used.

Good luck, and let me know if you get picked. Even just being near them, and not filling a tag, is pretty damn epic. It's an amazing experience.

·
Premium Member
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes!!!!

Dealing with an animal, especially a large animal, in a situation like that ain't my bag. 30 years ago a friend killed a huge bull elk on private property north of the wildlife refuge. The terrain was rough, the temperature was nearly 90 degrees and the hunter had made no preparation for anything. No ice, no pack board, no helper/s, no nothing. Too late he called another man and myself. By the time we arrived the meat was spoiled.
Yep, plenty of game available in areas where I can use my ATV to retrieve it.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Yep, there was an impact by domestic cattle disease. What were all those hides used for? Belts for overhead shafts used run machines in factories of that day. How come the herds did not come back after the active hunting ended? Could disease and loss of habitat play a part? The reasons for having this limited season are very good.

Draw a tag hopefully and go for it. If you really want to be authentic get a duplicate of Buffalo Bill's Lucretia Borgia 50-70 Trap Door. . Remember one needs to have skinners. Also, rounds must be loaded with tong tools by light of the campfire. Store bought bullets are OK. :) .

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Lonesome Dove is a favorite. I recall the portion with the buffalo hunters was authentic in may ways.

Added: I hope everybody that puts in for a tag here is successful.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There is no defense of shooting buffalo for "sport" the way it was done back in the day. Some people have always struggled with "right and wrong" from the very beginning. My Dad taught me that we eat what we kill or we don't kill it and we did kill a bunch of ducks and other game birds legally. That's one among many reasons I don't shoot deer. I don't like eating them. One of the other reasons is that they think my back yard belongs to them so I just don't fight it. And to think, people get up early, or go to a "deer camp", get on a motorized "4 wheeler", ride into the woods with a high powered rifle, and "hunt" them. Somebody needs to control the population but just not me. I've read many times that there are more deer today than when white men came here which means there are fewer predators (but more car hits). The whole eco system is out of balance methinks. Just thinking again.....:)

·
Supporting Member
12,303 Posts
GATOR,

I would sing up in a Heart Beat if you could keep some of the meat! :)
But I imagine it will be going to a good cause like assisted living, nursing homes and other good use!
We shot 2 ea. 2100# Bison about four years ago. And OMG! Was the meat ever good!
I would love to have some more meat. But to buy it in a store it is expensive.
The Rancher wanted both of the shot because they were attacking the Ranch Hands and their Trucks.
Here is one of them. One shot was a kill shot buy He turned around twice and just stood there. So you can see the second shot a little farther back on his side. The first shot took out both Lungs. They are strong and tough animals. The Rifle was an AR-15 in 458 SOCOM. Both rounds went completely through them and hit the ground about 30 yards behind them.
Buffalo Resized 3.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
There is no defense of shooting buffalo for "sport" the way it was done back in the day. Some people have always struggled with "right and wrong" from the very beginning. My Dad taught me that we eat what we kill or we don't kill it and we did kill a bunch of ducks and other game birds legally. That's one among many reasons I don't shoot deer. I don't like eating them. One of the other reasons is that they think my back yard belongs to them so I just don't fight it. And to think, people get up early, or go to a "deer camp", get on a motorized "4 wheeler", ride into the woods with a high powered rifle, and "hunt" them. Somebody needs to control the population but just not me. I've read many times that there are more deer today than when white men came here which means there are fewer predators (but more car hits). The whole eco system is out of balance methinks. Just thinking again.....:)
I was raised the same way. I carry a camera now, because it does allow me to "shoot" the animal, in a non-dead;y manner. Dad and I passed on a lot of game over the years, because we wouldn't eat it, with a few exceptions for predators on friend's farms, or gophers in the pasture. And I do still have a first edition of The Joy of Cooking, which covers several game animals most would give a hard pass on eating today.

Same with fishing. Not going to eat it, it goes back.

I've always been kind of torn on it, when it comes to bison, because at least one member, from the European side of the family, was a buffalo hunter for a time, two actually, if I count Uncle Bat, on dad's side. Have the other one's rifle, that .50-100 mentioned earlier, passed down thorough the McBratnie line over the last 150 years, and I've always been conflicted on it. Part of the family history, but also feel a little shame over it, because at least 2 men in my family, had a hand in their decimation, and this is not counting the Cherokee or Sioux, from my mom's side, who did respect the herds, and the land, but as they also hunted them, it did contribute.

When I did my hunt, I had the Trapdoor with me, and it would have been an easy shot, bit I didn't take it because I didn't see one I wanted within the herd. And no, that was not about the trophy. I came for a grandfather, and elder in the herd, and all were still fairly young.That was the only reason I passed them up, because they way I hunt, I look for elders or injured, when it comes to big game, not young, healthy, and able to bring the herd or others in the area, into a better overall condition, by passing their genetic on, to the next generation.

Better to take one on it's decline from it's prime, rather than coming up on it's prime. It's why I won't shoot a deer less than 5.5 years old, and look for 6.5 plus years. I've also only kept one rack, from one that dad shot, that we lost on a warm November hunt, and found the next day. It's a reminder that you don't stop looking until you find the animal, and make sure it's down, or it was a clean miss. We have tracked some for miles, when others botched the shot, and finished them off, because of a bad hit. I'd rather it never happened, but when it does, I'd rather use a tag that way, then wonder if it suffered. Or worse, know that it did.

And we use every part of it, that we can, wasting as little as possible, regardless of the animal shot. When we fill more than one tag each, the excess is given away, to people who need it. I also mentor the next generation, when asked, as I did with my wife and daughter, dad, my grandfather, and uncles did with me, and so on, passing those lessons down to them.

And having spent years living off game and fish, we caught, cleaned, and processed our self, I'd rather eat that, than what the stores sell.

Ended up sending the lin to my daughter and SIL. He's not a hunter, she is. One more in the game.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
GATOR,

I would sing up in a Heart Beat if you could keep some of the meat! :)
But I imagine it will be going to a good cause like assisted living, nursing homes and other good use!
We shot 2 ea. 2100# Bison about four years ago. And OMG! Was the meat ever good!
I would love to have some more meat. But to buy it in a store it is expensive.
The Rancher wanted both of the shot because they were attacking the Ranch Hands and their Trucks.
Here is one of them. One shot was a kill shot buy He turned around twice and just stood there. So you can see the second shot a little farther back on his side. The first shot took out both Lungs. They are strong and tough animals. The Rifle was an AR-15 in 458 SOCOM. Both rounds went completely through them and hit the ground about 30 yards behind them.
View attachment 241754

I wanna hop on that sucker and ride em like a horse. Although the the last time I rode a horse he dumped me and almost broke my neck.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Just joking I would not wish to get within 100 yards of one of them critters . I once hopped an electric fence to fish a trout stream and found the cows in the field were actually bulls. Thankfully that was 20 years ago when I was still a pretty fast runner. I never did recover that fishing rod.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts