Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volunteers wanted to hunt bison in Grand Canyon National Park | goHUNT

Interested in harvesting a bison while also helping out the U.S. National Park Service (NPS)? Then it could be your lucky day. NPS is looking for volunteers to help them cull a problem bison herd in the Grand Canyon. Interested hunters can enter into a lottery system for a chance at hunting one of the 600 bison who call the area home.

Bison are a once-in-a-lifetime hunt opportunity, which makes this call for volunteers both unique and exciting. While the NPS announcement has gained negative attention by anti-hunting groups and animal rights activists, BBC News reports that management of the burgeoning bison population is necessary; if left to their own devices, experts estimate that numbers could reach as high as 1,500 bison in only a decade, resulting in far more animals than the area can sustain. Bison are damaging vegetation and polluting water sources, impacting other species that need these resources to survive.

Administrator
I want to eat Bison burgers.

Reactions: kfox75

Registered
I never thought I would say this but the NPS must be nuts.....surprising?

At one time, there were only 541 of them left on the face of the earth after mankind killed them by the millions (what a sinful bunch of idiots). Can't they be relocated to other federal lands? It would cost less than 2 trillion wouldn't it? I would bet 500 billion on that. What's a couple of billion to relocate them? We give more away in liquor in one night at a White House "social" than it would cost to relocate them. Save the bison, not the fake climate change czar.

Premium Member

At one time, there were only 541 of them left on the face of the earth after mankind killed them by the millions (what a sinful bunch of idiots). Can't they be relocated to other federal lands? It would cost less than 2 trillion wouldn't it? I would bet 500 billion on that. What's a couple of billion to relocate them? We give more away in liquor in one night at a White House "social" than it would cost to relocate them. Save the bison, not the fake climate change czar.
Just saw an article about Bison in Montana a day or so ago. Ranchers are winning lawsuits to stop transferring Bison to
other Federal lands. Because they know the Feds do not build secure Bison fences around the perimeter of Federal lands. Bison are blamed for every thing that may or may not happen.

I will bet you this special hunt will be one expensive trip for those selected. How you going to salvage the meat from a 700 to 3000lb animal on foot with no motorized assistance? Especially in warm weather??? I happen to know guys that go to the Dakotas and Montana to hunt Bison every few years. Like they say, you gotta get to the animal fast and get it to a locker plant to cool. Like with a 4wd truck. But this hunt does not allow any motorized transport of your kill. This deal stinks.

Administrator
Years ago, I went to Kentucky to shoot with Stalkingbear and a few other FTFers. We had a lot of fun and that evening Stalkingbear cooked Elk burgers on the charcoal grill. They were perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. What a wonderful meal with good friends.

Premium Member
I want to eat Bison burgers.
Still remember my first one, in the cafe at a little truck stop with a shell station in Idaho. Still get them when I can find them.

And if you think the burgers are good, a hump steak will blow your mind.

I would want a Quigley rifle to hunt with
Get picked, and I'll give you a choice. I'll ship the Quigley edition in .45-70, or my Harper's Ferry Sharps, in .50-100, and some handloads for it, to you to use for the hunt. Both have Verneers on them, and are more accurate than I am.

Just make sure they get back to e afterwards. Especially if it is the HF, as that did belong to a family member who was a buffalo hunter. And yes, it's a serious offer, and that would take away some of the bar karma from it's original use.

I'd say balance it out, have the increased hunt, but also relocate part of the herd, to another area where they once roamed. Same thing PA did decades ago with Elk, transporting a couple hundred from out west, to bring back the herds killed off here, in the early days of our nation (Yes, until the early 1800s, the east coast still had elk. Commercial hunting killed the eastern species off, and as the herd grows, hunters get to enter a lottery here, to hunt a small portion of the population here.)

My wife and I have hunted them 3 of the last 7 years, she filled her tag the first, me 2 years later, and we both got our tags this year, and filled them. Got to go on a Bison hunt19 years ago. Saw several, in a couple different herds, never got a shot, and didn't care. Just sitting there in the middle fo nowhere, and seeing them was enough to last me a lifetime.

But I would love to do it again.

The Wildlife Refuge at Ft Sill does a census on a 2-3 year schedule.

They will round-up excess and have an auction.
Zoos, parks, private ranches buy them.
Have a few friends back in NY, both lived within 20 minutes of where we did, that had a few. Some of theirs have gone to other farms, and different zoos, when they bred successfully. They also process one or two every year, and cook the meat for get togethers.

Registered
A friend of mine raises them .
That just reminded me to go see what he has on hand I could drag home .
He had elk & long horns too but I think those are gone now . The burgers are really good . ( high priced but still good . )

Registered
kfox, I will take you up, on your most generous offer

Cliffalling, they are picking 12. IF you are 1 of 12, that is the hunt of a lifetime. Yes, comparable to winning a lottery, but 12 will win. Can't win, unless you play.

Premium Member
Shooting an oversized cow sounds like great sport.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts