Opinions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by McColt, May 30, 2013.

1. McColt

McColt New Member

Hey everybody, I'm new here at the forums and I wanted to get some opinions. I'm buying my first full sized pistol soon, I've already got a compact, and I've got it narrowed down to two choices. The Colt Python in .357 or the Colt 1911 in .45. I've shot both many times and really enjoy both but I've been unable so far to make the final decision. That's why I'm here, I just wanted to get your opinions on the best choice. I will be carrying it and money is not an issue.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Carrying it as in concealed?

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Carry the compact handgun. Buy the full size pistol for home defense.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What compact do you have?

For carry, I would tend to lean toward the 1911, becasue the flatness of it would lend itself to better concealment.

For just plain shooting enjoyment, I like the Colt Python.

5. McColt

McColt New Member

Well I've always preferred open carry to concealed. I realize that the size of both would make concealed carry a little troublesome

6. McColt

McColt New Member

Got myself a little old Beretta M1934

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Well then, the Colt .45. I have owned both a .357 and a Colt .45 Mark IV, and would prefer the semi auto due to more rounds and easier to reload. Also, it forms better to the body then the fat .357. .45 is subsonic and less chance to injure civilians behind the BG. The .357 will go through the BG and continue downrange.

8. McColt

McColt New Member

I was thinking along the same line

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I really enjoy target plinking with my Ruger GP100 .357 revolver, but if I had to defend myself, i'd rather have the .45acp, particularly since I don't have any combat or advanced defensive shooting training.

10. McColt

McColt New Member

Actually I have a question about this. Would I have the same over penetration issues with the .357 with hollow points? This may be a silly question but I'd like to have all pertinent information. I'm not new to guns at all, but I figured it'd be best to ask

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read this before about 9mm as well but how does it really happen.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A Colt Python is not a carry gun. It's a relic of a time gone by. You can't get that kind of craftsmanship from a production gun these days. You don't want to risk carrying it and it being destroyed as evidence if you every had to use it.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

.357 hollow points can go through a body and continue. There have been cases of going through the body and being embedded in walls. A .45 ACP tip is more flat and hits like a pancake, while the .357 magnum is more pointed and hits like a missle. It is easy for more pointed objects to go through something then aflat objects. Plus, the high energy of a .357 can be wasted on a human, especially at close range. Please look at the below article.

http://stresshooting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=98

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I can help here, 125 grain hollow points are less likely to have over penetration. 158 grain federal hydrashocks have up to 18" penetration. 125 grain gold dot hollow points are pretty good. I personally would lean to the 357. But thats just me.

Add: with ANY hollowpoint can act as fmj if the cavity gets clogged.

@jager a 45 fmj will do the same. Youre describing bullet style it sounds like.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. McColt

McColt New Member

Thanks for the help fellas

16. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

If you can afford both just do it and get them both no problem.:)

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Right on the button

18. McColt

McColt New Member

I was thinking about it :-D

Came into a little money to add to my weekly salary and it's opened up a few doors, money-wise lol. I was thinking on getting both, or getting one and a .338 Lapua Mag that my uncle is trying to unload.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Put Ruger GP100 in instead of Colt Python, you have what I did. The GP100 is used for HD (wife is more comfortable with it) and the 1911 is CC and HD for me. The only difference is, I didn't buy mine. Dad and I built the 1911, and he bought the GP100 back in the 80s. Both were gifted to me when I got my CCW, but they are on both dad's and my permits.

i agree with Sig. If you are in a position to buy both, do so it. You will not regret it if you do.

20. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Three word solution, Glaser Safety Slugs. They are not cheap, but overpenetration is not usually an issue. I always have some kicking around in .38 special, .357 magnum, .45ACP, and .223 Remington. Well worth the money, especially if you are an apartment dweller, or the kid's room is potentially in the line of fire. Link to the company's website is at the bottom of the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

Last edited: May 31, 2013