opinions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dtchaulk, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dtchaulk

dtchaulk New Member

Can I get opinions on this gun... Savage 'Axis XP' .223 Bolt-Action Rifle Combo. Thanks guys

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

decent rifle and good accuracy for a budget rifle. but the biggest downside is the scope. most combinations usually use a very cheap scope and need much better. better to get the rifle seperately and purchase your own scope and be able to get a much better scope.

another good option is the Marlin X7 series, as they just brought out the 223 this year. one in a 22" sporter style barrel and one in the 26" heavy varmint barrel. i do like the Marlin much better than the Axis. the only thing budget about the Marlin is the price.

3. dtchaulk

dtchaulk New Member

Awesome thank you. Is it any good as a competition rifle?

4. godale

godale New Member

yet another idea. how about a stevens 200? all it really is a savage 110 action without the accutrigger, with the popularity of the axis the 200 can offered be had for about 250.00

5. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Don't think Marlin has an X rifle in .223, they did introduce a 22-250 heavy barrel though. FWIW, I own an Axis .223 and it is not a rifle I'd recommend.

6. godale

godale New Member

the axis just looks weak and flimsy to me. plus unlike the stevens 200 it cant be upgraded i have heard good stories about them being shooter though

7. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

As a competition you might want something like a brwoning x-bolt or a ruger m77 depending on your budget. I have heard good things about ruger's new "american" rifle not sure if it comes in 223 though.

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I just checked the ruger "american" comes in 243. 270. 308. And -06 not 223.

9. Axxe55

Marlin introduced the X7 rifle in 223 this year with three models, the XS7, with a 22" sporter barrel, the XS7Y, which is the youth model, and the XS7VH with a 26" heavy varmint barrel.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

The Axis line doesn't come with Accutrigger, right? I own a Savage 22 with Accutrigger, and I wouldn't buy one without it......

11. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

No, the Axis does not have an accu trigger. General consensus seem to be the Axis trigger leaves a lot to be desired. You can tweak it by replacing trigger spring and polishing the sear to get its pull down. Got mine down to around 3 Lbs by doing this.

Axxe55, own a couple of the Marlin X series rifles and much happier with them out of the box than I was with the Axis. Marlins I'll recommend, but not the Axis. I've checked the Marlin web site twice for bolt actions and darn if I can find a .223 bolt rifle listed. Please provide me a link to Marlin site that shows a X rifle in .223 so that I can add it to my short list of rifles to buy. Thanks in Advance

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

1st I've heard anyone complain about it. It is adjustable from the factory, down to less than 3 LBS.

13. Axxe55

for some reason their website isn't current. the 223's are listed in the printed 2012 catalog. i got mine in a few weeks ago. just go to their website and order the printed catalog.