Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't have any experience with their auto loaders but I consider their single action revolvers to be some of the toughest on the market. My Blackhawk has performed flawlessly for several thousand rounds with only cleaning for maintenance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I never liked the fact that Rugers are investment cast as opposed to forged steel like Smiths and Colts; but that's really a theoretical objection. It's hard to imagine a stronger gun. I've never heard of a Ruger revolver failing. My Super Blackhawk was the most reliable .44 I ever owned.

I think their autos are clunky-looking, though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not too keen on their autos, but their revolvers are awesome! We have a Super Redhawk, and I'm considering the GP100 .357mag

I like to think of them as the toyota of guns. Reasonably priced, and super reliable! You can't go wrong with a Ruger........

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Ruger

Big fan of their .22's in any form. Single action revolvers are par excellance. The rest, third rate junk. I know, you ruger fans are gonna scream bloody murder. Clunky, cast steel is not my cup of tea. I have seen too many Ruger autos fail in a 600 round 3 day course. I have seen slides simply sail off down range. Give me a good forged Smith and Wesson and it will run for tens of thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have some Blackhawks and Vaqueros in different calibers and love all of them. Add a Mark I and two Mark II's along with a Security Six and converable 22 SAA. Some of the Vaq's had to be altered to shoot to POA but I love them all.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
The only Ruger I've got is the Old Army C&B and I for one love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strongest revolver out there

I bought some .45 colt ammo for hunting. the box warning read use only in Ruger, Colt Anaconda and Thompson center. Note no S&W.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
rugers

The investment casting method is still followed by machining same as all other handguns. That casting don't bother me a bit because of 3 things:#1-quality of steel,#2-overall tolerances,#3-ALL steel is cast at one point when originally produced!!!!!!! I consider rugers "bombproof" overengineered. That means that they are as strong as any firearm you'll find in their class.
I'm a HUGE ruger fan but still miss a few guns they discontinued such as the old 44 semiauto carbine,original m77 with tang safety and adjustable trigger and some discontinued cartridges in some model lines.

I never liked the fact that Rugers are investment cast as opposed to forged steel like Smiths and Colts; but that's really a theoretical objection. It's hard to imagine a stronger gun. I've never heard of a Ruger revolver failing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the only thing i can add it they make a great SAA western gun (i have owned 3), great 22 auto simi-auto handguns (i have owned one), THE BEST 22 rifle in existence, and a very good 223 in the mini-14.
but for 9mm and other DA etc I don't really like them

·
Registered
225 Posts
strong guns

I bought some .45 colt ammo for hunting. the box warning read use only in Ruger, Colt Anaconda and Thompson center. Note no S&W.
I would not give it a seconds thought, 9 times out of 10 a revolver gets mutilated buy an inexperienced hand loader not buy factory ammo, the only exception would be using modern ammo in an older or antique firearm, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had 2 Blackhawks, 1 Vaquero, 1 GP100, 1 10/22, and 1 95DC 9mm. The revolvers are great! Semi-autos are extremely ugly, but they work great, espeically considering the price. I've found them to be very durable. Never had one break, which is more than I can say for other similarly priced guns.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the 2 models I have experience with. My dad has a 22LR/22 Mag Single six that I love! It's fun to shoot, very accurate(3/4" group at 25 yards.....6" barrel) and cheap! My old roommate had a Mark III Hunter that was a BLAST to shoot! Again, in 22LR.....cheap to shoot and very accurate.
I've got to admit I'm intrigued by the new .327 Fed Mag so Ruger has my attention once again......I'm not really looking at this as a self defense round, it might be ok, but I see a limited point to the niche it fills. I'm looking at this as a new small game round and hoping to see it in a lever action rifle!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ruger handguns are top of the line for reliability. Think of them as the AK-47 of handguns. They sure aren't pretty. They aren't the nicest of guns. But they really are well built and will probably be around and usable until the gun goes supernova.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Have both single and double action Ruger revolvers. No incidents with either.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
My GP100 is one of my least favorite guns, always bruises my hand. None of my other 4 do this, not even my .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
wow everyone bashing the ruger autos.. ive shot some. and they are great. nice triggers no malfunctions. easy to take apart. i say any ruger is good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts