Opinions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Vandetta, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Vandetta

Vandetta New Member

What are your opinions on ruger handguns?

2. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

I don't have any experience with their auto loaders but I consider their single action revolvers to be some of the toughest on the market. My Blackhawk has performed flawlessly for several thousand rounds with only cleaning for maintenance.

3. Dutch

Dutch New Member

They're (single and double action revolvers) built like m1 tanks, very sturdy, well worth the money.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical New Member

Good value.

I don't really like the way they feel/shoot to me... but they are great for the money.

5. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I never liked the fact that Rugers are investment cast as opposed to forged steel like Smiths and Colts; but that's really a theoretical objection. It's hard to imagine a stronger gun. I've never heard of a Ruger revolver failing. My Super Blackhawk was the most reliable .44 I ever owned.

I think their autos are clunky-looking, though.

6. SheGUN

SheGUN New Member

I'm not too keen on their autos, but their revolvers are awesome! We have a Super Redhawk, and I'm considering the GP100 .357mag

I like to think of them as the toyota of guns. Reasonably priced, and super reliable! You can't go wrong with a Ruger........

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger

Big fan of their .22's in any form. Single action revolvers are par excellance. The rest, third rate junk. I know, you ruger fans are gonna scream bloody murder. Clunky, cast steel is not my cup of tea. I have seen too many Ruger autos fail in a 600 round 3 day course. I have seen slides simply sail off down range. Give me a good forged Smith and Wesson and it will run for tens of thousands of rounds.

8. John Fox

John Fox New Member

I have some Blackhawks and Vaqueros in different calibers and love all of them. Add a Mark I and two Mark II's along with a Security Six and converable 22 SAA. Some of the Vaq's had to be altered to shoot to POA but I love them all.

9. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

The only Ruger I've got is the Old Army C&B and I for one love it.

10. nick8180

nick8180 New Member

Strongest revolver out there

I bought some .45 colt ammo for hunting. the box warning read use only in Ruger, Colt Anaconda and Thompson center. Note no S&W.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

rugers

The investment casting method is still followed by machining same as all other handguns. That casting don't bother me a bit because of 3 things:#1-quality of steel,#2-overall tolerances,#3-ALL steel is cast at one point when originally produced!!!!!!! I consider rugers "bombproof" overengineered. That means that they are as strong as any firearm you'll find in their class.
    I'm a HUGE ruger fan but still miss a few guns they discontinued such as the old 44 semiauto carbine,original m77 with tang safety and adjustable trigger and some discontinued cartridges in some model lines.

12. hideit

hideit New Member

the only thing i can add it they make a great SAA western gun (i have owned 3), great 22 auto simi-auto handguns (i have owned one), THE BEST 22 rifle in existence, and a very good 223 in the mini-14.
    but for 9mm and other DA etc I don't really like them

13. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

strong guns

I would not give it a seconds thought, 9 times out of 10 a revolver gets mutilated buy an inexperienced hand loader not buy factory ammo, the only exception would be using modern ammo in an older or antique firearm, for obvious reasons.

14. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I've had 2 Blackhawks, 1 Vaquero, 1 GP100, 1 10/22, and 1 95DC 9mm. The revolvers are great! Semi-autos are extremely ugly, but they work great, espeically considering the price. I've found them to be very durable. Never had one break, which is more than I can say for other similarly priced guns.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm a huge fan of the 2 models I have experience with. My dad has a 22LR/22 Mag Single six that I love! It's fun to shoot, very accurate(3/4" group at 25 yards.....6" barrel) and cheap! My old roommate had a Mark III Hunter that was a BLAST to shoot! Again, in 22LR.....cheap to shoot and very accurate.
    I've got to admit I'm intrigued by the new .327 Fed Mag so Ruger has my attention once again......I'm not really looking at this as a self defense round, it might be ok, but I see a limited point to the niche it fills. I'm looking at this as a new small game round and hoping to see it in a lever action rifle!

16. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Ruger handguns are top of the line for reliability. Think of them as the AK-47 of handguns. They sure aren't pretty. They aren't the nicest of guns. But they really are well built and will probably be around and usable until the gun goes supernova.

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

Have both single and double action Ruger revolvers. No incidents with either.

18. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

My GP100 is one of my least favorite guns, always bruises my hand. None of my other 4 do this, not even my .44 Magnum.

19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

wow everyone bashing the ruger autos.. ive shot some. and they are great. nice triggers no malfunctions. easy to take apart. i say any ruger is good!

20. 38special

38special New Member

I only have 3.. Like them all.. Nice firearm for the money..