opinions...tattoo

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Sonic82, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I was a Seafarer out of Hawaii for many years. Upon my recent visit back there I decided to have a Tattoo done in Maui. It's a Compass Rose with a basket-weave Hawaiian flare to it (the 'N's backwards, pic taken in a mirror). Now, I'm considering adding a small anchor to it (simulated in pic 2). The Compass is slightly tilted and the anchor could explain why as a bit of a novelty. Opinions appreciated. Is the Compass a stand alone item? Would the anchor detract from it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Personally I think the anchor detracts from a nice tatoo.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it all depends. on how well done the anchor is inked. i can make my suggestions, but it really is about what you like.

4. rurak

rurak New Member

I like the compass a lot but I don't think the anchor goes with it. I've got one tattoo and I think a tattoo should be deeply personal

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I also have one tattoo. It is my wedding band. Almost nobody can stop with one.

6. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , I personally don't have any tats..! Instead , I have an epic collection of scars that tell an epic tale..!

Some of the tattoos I have seen are absolutely amazing art..! The detail and color are no less breath taking..! These works are so personalized , the only one that matters is the person who chose it..! Just mind blowing art and beauty.! :)

7. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

cool as is, imo.....do the anchor somewhere else if you really want an anchor.

my 2 cents.

8. hawkguy

bingo!

i REALLY appreciate top notch art in a tattoo, as well as a tat that tells a story of the individual in some way.

so imo....beautiful art combined with creativity and a personal connection = AWESOME!

picking a rose off the wall when drunk = MISTAKE you will regret for a long time!

9. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I have one of each of those, but substitute the rose for a dolphin. Lol. I still like my crappy one because it reminds me of fun times, but the professionally done tattoo is much nicer to look at and has meaning.

I think the compass rose looks good as is. As mentioned, if you want an anchor you should get it done somewhere else and make it the main focus. Or that's what I would do.

10. hawkguy

hey, sometimes a reminder of youth and craziness is a statement itself :p....as long as it is special to YOU.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Sooo..........I shouldn't have gotten that spider tattoo that's on my neck? :confused:

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I vote not toghter, reason being its gana be real hard to match the black its gana look off when done. sun fade unles you have them go back over whats there now

13. Axxe55

i veiw my tattoos as personal and private. an expression of artwork of memories of things in the past. a couple are tributes, a couple are simply reminders, but they are something i keep very private. very few people even know i have them, and even fewer have even seen them. part of the reason for keeping them private and pretty much hidden is that i feel no reason to display them or to have to answer questions about their meanings, because i feel that their reasons for being there are mine and mine alone. another reason is that some people are offended by tattoos and can cause preconcieved perceptions about first impressions at times. when i meet people, i want them to know me, not what they think i am by the tattoos i have. these are strictly my personal reasons and are in no way what others should do, because i am not offended by those who have tattoos they display.

14. hawkguy

who said that? i was just making a general statement. its really up to you if you should have gotten a spider on your neck or not....my question would be....do you still like it? does it still hold any meaning for you? or do you hate it and want it gone?

but, almost everyone i know....who made a quick (and often drunk) tattoo decision....regretted to some degree later on (and many have even removed them)....overall, those that were thought out and done well by a talented artist seem to stand the test of time better, and make people happy. just my experience. certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

again just my opinion, but i think before you sit down and that needle is buzzing...you might ask yourself.....will i still like this in 10 years? will still have meaning or importance to me? or will i hate looking at it every morning?

if you want a tattoo as a passing fad or spur of the moment dare, maybe those temp ones that last a few weeks is the better choice.

15. vincent

vincent New Member

Sonic, not sure how old the compass is, but adding to existing tats can be tricky...like trying to match paint on a car...

You may not want it to look like an add on, some ink fresher than the other...

Different artists have different techniques too...

My .02 says the compass stands very well on its' own...:cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I posted wrong. I should have posted it like this............

Sooo..........I shouldn't have gotten that spider tattoo that's on my neck?

I don't have any tattoos.

17. hawkguy

good post, and i feel the same way. i won't go out of my way to either display or conceal my tats though (cept at work). and i don't mind talking about them. in fact, i've always thought of it as a club...and a good way to get to know someone. but i couldn't imagine putting something permanent on my body that meant nothing to me. but, i actually started on tats a bit older..so that may be the difference.

i know tats offend some, but that attitude in honestly in the minority now. i don't want to offend anyone, but then in general, i don't think people have the right to be offended by how someone else treats their own bodies in general. (unless they really stink in close quarters maybe :p).

i'm pretty much live and let live in that regard.

18. Axxe55

dang Winds! i was getting curious about that! :eek:

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Try moving your arm until north points north. :p

20. hawkguy

oh....duh! well, that is THE embarrassing post of the day.

do i get a reward? :p