Opinions on truck

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Aug 8, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have been needing to get a vehicle for some time now, and if I hopefully get a job this month, I will go ahead and buy a good used vehicle. I really want a truck, but would settle for a car if that would be the best thing to do.

Here's the truck I was looking at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a 1988 Ford f150 6 cyl. 4x4 with 122,735 miles on it, and manual transmission. They are wanting $3500 for it, but I could probably talk them down some.

What do you guys think? Will it kill me on gas? (I basically plan on going only to work/class in it). My last vehicle was a 2003 Ford Focus, so gas really wasn't a huge problem. Would I be better off getting something like that again?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If it was diesel I'd say consider it but as it sits I'd say you're probably looking at double your gas bill and maybe a new transmission within a year. It's gotta be on its last leg. (I don't drive)

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

if this vehcile is for commuting back and forth get yourself a cheapo 4cyl car. Save up your money for a quality diesel working truck when you need it.

this one has lots o miles, gonna be a gas pig and could be a maintenance money pit :eek:

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

It cost about 2x what its worth and its a gas hog.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yeah you'll spend at least double on gas vs the focus you had.

You said it was a 6cyl, is that the 300 ci inline 6cyl? Those are great engines, I know a couple guys who had them and they loved them.

I had an 88' extended cab auto with 351 (5.8 liter) and the exact same wheels. Mine was two tone also but red instead of blue with a big high rise topper and very dark windows. It didn't have OD in the tranny so it sounded like a dumptruck and got 10 mpg if I was lucky. It was a solid truck though and I could hook it to just about any trailer and go. I used to borrow my buddy's 20' equipment lowboy. That trailer weighs 4000 lbs empty and it pulled it no problem.

But if you're just looking for a daily driver I'd get a little car or a ranger if you really want a truck.

6. ultimate-soldier5

ultimate-soldier5 New Member

look into the late 90's and early 2000's powerstroke, its a 7.3l and they arent very expensive. i had two of them never had issues then i joined the army and sold em ended up buying an 87 f250 150 bucks to fill up both tanks, threw a rod and bought my jeep...

7. texaswoodworker

I know, but when I had the Focus, I was spending $20-$30 every two weeks for gas. So like I said, I don't drive that much, just what I need to.

I think it is the incline 6 cyl.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ranger. I don't know why, but I'm just not. So if I get a truck, it would be a full sized one. I'll probably go for a car.

My grandparents have a 99'. It's a good truck, but working on the engine can be a pain in the butt.

Well, I really like that truck, but since it probably would be a better idea to get a car or something else for now, what do ya'll suggest? ($4000 max)

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Like others have said, the smart thing to do for now would be to get a little zip-zap car for the fuel mileage. Looks like it has no rust, must be a Texas thing. Here in s/w Ohio a truck that old, with that many miles would be so rusty, you would need a Tetanus shot before you could ride in it.....

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Spend about $1500-$2000 on a used beater car that gets crazy mileage. save the additional $2-$2500 and add to it over the next year for a bigger down payment on a nicer/newer truck :)

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Do like me and ride a scooter. Not only cheap but fun.

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

you're gay :p

12. texaswoodworker

But I like being able to go over 30 mph on the highway and not looking like a dork. :D :p

Good news guys. I was having to get a car due to an unpleasant "situation" I was in, but that situation just worked itself out, so I no longer need a new car. :eek:

I will keep these ideas in mind in the future though.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

13. levelcross

levelcross New Member

It depends on what type of work and how far the drive is round trip. If you have to haul equipment or not, long distance or not. The cheapest long run is a good mileage car for daily driving aka people mover or a nice Bike my last one got around 48 MPG and was a ton of fun to ride, and a nice truck to have fun and pull or haul with later on.

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Fellow Texan here.

I understand the need for a full size truck.

The gas is killer, but how many miles are you actually driving every day?

15. texaswoodworker

I'd love a bike, but there are way too many idiots around here for me to actually ride one without a lot of risk. :(

On a busy day? Maybe 30 miles. On a normal day its more like 15-20. This is only 5 days a week though

16. Swervin

Swervin New Member

That is a nice truck with a transmission that will last 10 times longer than the auto..... I think 2800 to 3k would be a really good buy on a solid truck that if you kept it nice in a few years you could get your money back and buy something a little nicer. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. Cheaper to own than most modern cars. Property tax and insurance cheap and buying a quality truck would be cheaper than the ranger cause they are cheap built and constantly need repairs. What you spend in fuel and upkeep will still beat payments on a much newer/nicer vehicle.... Work into something more expensive when your ready. I think that truck looks nice and is a solid investment. I work on cars everyday and think you could do way worse in that price range.... Alot of junk on the road

17. Swervin

Swervin New Member

You can generally talk down 1 to 2 hundred bucks down per thousand on most car purchases. Never pay asking price. People always ask more than needed just to be talked into what they really wanted to begin with. $3000 fair price on F150

18. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I don't believe in playing that game as a seller. I have sold three cars in the last ten years. I put the price I want on it and tell potential buyers that the price is firm. All three sold rather quickly.

As for the Ford truck, in the condition that it appears to be in, I would say it would sell rather quickly for $3500 around where I live.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My advice is to never do as Shihan does. It'll keep you out of a lot of trouble. :cool:

20. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

If I remember correctly they get about 10 miles to the gallon.