Opinions on this AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PensFan_87, Mar 11, 2010.

1. PensFan_87

PensFan_87 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a Romey AK-47 WASR10.

Came with the TAPCO collapsible stock but the remainder of the furniture was wood. Ugly as sin!

[​IMG]

I spent some cash and put the lipstick on the pig.

[​IMG]

That was some time ago and I think the base gun cost me $350 + FFL. My guess is with the TAPCO Galil forend the $419 price is OK. Find out what the shipping will be and don't forget the FFL transfer fee.

I can tell you the WASR10's don't like the poly mags. Dont bother buying them, they'll sit in the drawer. When you are ready, I can steer you to some good deals on metal mags and cheap ammo.

If you get this AK give me a shout for some must-do upgrades to make it just a tad better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you enjoy your SUR 1/2 as much as I do, you'll be happy!

cane

3. glockink

glockink New Member

Have a WASR....LOVE IT!

4. deth502

deth502 New Member

ive never had a problem dealing with j&g sales.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I like J & G for their product line and prices. They will provide you with a good quality product. Their only downfall is shipping times are slow, but if you're not in a hurry, by all means go for it.

6. jdgeroy

jdgeroy New Member

Wasr 10

I have one with the original wood...it is ugly as sin and I love it. I bought it as my Jeep gun (fits right behind the seats in my old CJ 5). It shoots reasonably well even though it is not a tack driver.

7. PensFan_87

PensFan_87 New Member

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I've been busy with my birthday and stuff this past weekend (finally legal so I had to get a handgun!!!) That looks very nice. I can't stand the wood. I'm pretty sure this is what I end up getting. So the poly mags are no good??

8. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Reworked WASR. Owned a first set. Never jammed and always sent the lead on. I like what you have done with it. 7.62x39 has place as a man stopper.

As long as yer scope holds near zero you don't want to be on the other end of that Romanian Boom Stick.

Nice

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Its kind of hard to screw up an AKM but it happens, as far as I have seen of the WASR-10 only has small defects you dont often find with the older WASR-10s. I have one and its served me very well but I want to warn you, if you plan to put a scope of any sort on the rifle, plan on changing the stockk to something that has a riser for a better cheek weld because the scope will sit pretty high above the eye on a stock they are showing. And I wouldnt skimp on the scope mount if I were you, something like what Canebrake has works perfectly, dont be fooled by the dust-covers with rails, they are complete scrap metal as far as most people are concerned since they dont hold any zero.
    A WASR-10 is fairly easy to fit to your own wants and needs, an extra $100 goes a long way on one because there are truckloads of parts and accesories to choose from.

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

hey cane, about those poly mags, i have a wassr 10 also and i know what your sayin! those things really dont like to fit well in my rifle:( So i was wonderin if you can guide me to a respectable magazine. I would be very happy with any help, as i dont want to waste a bunch of money trying out every type of mag out there. Thanks a bunch.:)

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm sure Cane has some more (much more usually) sources than these, but I have never had a problem with any used surplus. I got a bunch with "East Germany" stickers on them and they work great. Anything steel from Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria or many others will work great.

I just took all my mags apart last weekend and checked the quality of the springs. Out of darn near 20, only 2 were really compressed. Who knows if it was just well used or stored fully loaded too long, but I just replaced them with the 5% extra strength springs that midway has and filled 'em up ~75% of capacity. Good (or better) as new.

Here's a couple of the economical/consistent sources I use.

Arms of America LLC

J&G Sales

Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA

Careful with Midway's 40 round surplus. Last time it came in poly. Oh well. . .

12. colmustard

colmustard New Member

thanks abounch diggs:D

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

14. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

WASR is without a doubt the most fun gun I own!

[​IMG]

Sweet what you did with yours Canebrake, mine looks like it was made out of a fence post. :eek:

It needs a face lift pretty bad but shoots like a house on fire! :D

15. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I have a Romanian AK-47 WASR10.

[​IMG]

I've put a lot of rounds through it and it's accurate and never jammed on me.

I like it.

:cool: