opinions on the best ztr mower ...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by powg, Mar 24, 2011.

1. powg

powg New Member

I think the folks here are the most ''all around'' knowledgable about real world things ....Be it guns ,gals ,cars , trucks,work etics,etc . Ive got $5500.00 to spend on a ztr mower ....my specs are 48''-52'' cut,22-24 hp, hvy -duty to commercial grade ....and most important ,a place for a miller lite. My 1st choices are ferris ,exmark,hustler, as dealers are in my town . Toro dealer is 30 miles . WHATS yalls opinions ,experiances etc ...I want the most bang for my hard earned buck. thanks POWG ....pissed off white guy

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ztr?

3. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

That would be Zero Turn Radius. Sometimes the initials, letters for words and/or short-hand can get a little irritating. One of the reasons I'll never bother with texting.

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Zero Turn Radius Mower, nice sit down jobs!

[​IMG]

Now for the speed freaks in mower :D:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjk9RCzg9Y]YouTube - Single rotor lawn mower-YouTube.mov[/ame]

5. freefall

freefall New Member

I like the kind with a single rear wheel. The best I've ever operated was a Toro reel type. Jacobsen reel type was a fine cutter but overly mechanically complex. Had one with a 52" 3 rotor deck called a Yazoo but the transaxle was prone to malfunction. (In a previous golf course maintenance incarnation)

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Jeebus, one of those abbreviated ones that I should have known and feel stupid when I don't. :D

May I suggest a Dixie Chopper? I don't own a ztr, so my suggestion is out of the fact that they look kewl.

Give this thread a day or two, and I bet you will have a bunch of quality responses. I'm gonna bow out now. Let us know what you decide and give us a "range report". :D

You do know that $5500 will get you a .50 BMG, right? :p

7. powg

powg New Member

zero-turn mower

Will check on the dixie chopper .May be out of my price range.The .50 would be fun . I guess the price per round is the same for a gallon of unleaded ? lol I could go green and buy some brush goats ,put em long leashes!

8. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Screw grass and mowing. When me and my wife get moved out to the sticks later this year, there will be NO lawn, thus NO NEED for a mower besides a brushhog and a weedwhacker. :D

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I got a new JD a couple years ago and thought I might use the cup holder but it really sucks IMO .. The vibration from the mower makes your beer flat in less than a lap and it always gets s**t in the top like grass dirt and whatever else is flying around. I still find it best to use a strategic placement of said beer like a fence post of the bumper of the truck. That way I can stop to freshen up every lap or two :D

10. jca1

jca1 New Member

I own a Gravely PM44Z which is a 46" cut. It is about 7 years old and I love love love it. It's a residential sized commercial mower and it was $4999 OTD.
    Best $ I ever spent on a piece of lawn equipment.

It used to take me almost 2 hours to cut just the grass and about 3 hours to do everything like weed eat. I can cut the grass in 45 minutes now and have everything done in about 1.5 hours.

Friend of mine cut with a tractor and bush hog/finish mower and it took him 8 hours. He bought a huge Gravely and cuts everything in 4 hours now. it was this that led me to my purchase.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Any of the models you find at home depot will work for the Home unless you have one hell of a yard.

If you want speed Dixie Choppers are the fastest on the market.

eXmark are also great machines that can take the abuse of a landscaping company mowing like mad men all day long. Landscape Pro--Exmark Mfg. Inc.

Scag mowers are also ones seen being used by many landscape companies they are fast and built like a tank. SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Zero-Turn Riding Mowers

But why do you want to sit out one of them things in the hot blazing sun for hours? When you can get one of THESE and sit on the porch in the shade with a beer and mower your grass with nothing more than your finger tips.

See them in action here. Remote Control Lawn Mowers | Slope Mowers | Parts | Elderly Friendly

12. powg

powg New Member

ztr

Thanks guys. I'll check on the gravely ,the ''bad boy'' at tractor supply co is also in my price range ,they look solid and have a 27hp kohler.I have 5 acres with half being ''yard '', the rest is heavily wooded. I mow the ''yard'' because my lil piece of east tx heaven is ''copperhead ''central

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  13. jca1

jca1 New Member

If you want one that will really last

Look for a heavy deck, not that sheet metal looking crap like on a Murray.

Look for hydraulic wheel motors not independant hydrostatic transmissions.

Look for models that run the heavy blades as these models have better spindles and turn the blades much faster. This allows a faster and better cut. On that note look for the heavy spindles.

Look at frame size and front wheel mounts etc. You'll be able to see the overpriced junk from the real stuff pretty easy.