opinions on speedbead?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by powg, Jan 10, 2011.

1. powg

powg New Member

just yalls 2 cents on the speedbead ...it will go on my utility rem 870 .i know the ads talk about wingshooting ..would it fit the bill just for general defense ,hog hunting .i dont know how rugged the unit would be. the 870 is 12 3'' with ati pistolgrip buttstock ,barrel cut to 19.5 with polychoke installed .

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion shotguns dont need sights less your shooting slugs at deer bear pigs or paper.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Regardless of what they tell you, a true optical sight on a shotgun is a great advantage, wingshooting or otherwise. The target and the dot are in the same focal plane and you don't have to take your eye off the target to look for the dot, it's right out there with the target. I shot an old naturally illuminated Weaver Qwik-Point for several years, and it worked great, when it worked. But it was heavy, bulky, usless in the rain, snow, or fog, and I had tons of mount issues. The SpeedBead looked ideal to me; light and handy and small, but I have also heard of mount concerns with them, so I have held off. But I am still tempted. If I could bring myself to tap the receiver, I would get one of the ones that mounts that way, but I can't bring myself to do it to a shotgun.

4. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

for a defense or hog hunting gun i can definitely see an advantage, but if i put optics on my duck gun they'd never let me hear the end of it!

5. powg

powg New Member

to ta 1588

duck /geese any type of wingshooting ...thats why i have a super x 2 . thanks powg

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

They had a lot to say about it when I went goose hunting in Maryland with it years ago, but after they saw me smoking some at 80 yards they were sure looking at it differently. I even played around with some occluded sight shooting and it still worked. That's where you block the sight tube on the sight, and you see the target with your left eye (right handed) and the dot with your left eye. That even amazed me. Got a 24 in skeet that way once.