Opinions on open carry right now.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by p35bhp55, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

What state? California is the only state I'm aware of that had OC and banned it statewide for fear of blacks OCing guns.

What other state are we talking about ,yours, where legal OC gatherings got OC banned state wide?
    40 some states have OC. And all I've ever heard of happening is states that did ban OC lifting those bans.

2. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Thankfully NC has allways been an OC state (with no permit) so I don't have much skin in the game. Valid point about supporting quality organizations though.

kfox75 likes this.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

In state of MI, that is legal conceal carry. Without a CPL, it's a felony CCW charge.

kfox75 likes this.
  4. partdeux

Use the opportunity to strike up a conversation. Ask him why they OC. Ask them if they've ever had an issue. You might have a pleasant conversation.

kfox75 likes this.
  5. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Please cite the relevant statute

6. partdeux

It's not a direct statute. MI law requires a CPL to conceal carry. I can cite that if you need me to, but that's not issue here.

What is the issue is how it was carried and in a State Supreme Court decision, that "style" of carry was determined to be concealed. https://miopencarry.org/faq#11 is a fully cited discussion on the decision.

kfox75 likes this.
  7. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

Trunk Monkey and kfox75 like this.
  8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I did with a guy in Full Cowboy Fig who was carrying a converted 1858 Remington replica. He was just looking for attention.

ellis36 and kfox75 like this.
  9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

And I would never deny that some do it for just that reason. However, most that I know who OC, do not.

Hell, around here, it, as PD mentioned, start conversations. One I recall well involved a guy from MI, and we wound up talking for about an hour, about the carry laws in his state and mine. As I had lived in NY as well, he learned about that state's carry laws as well. It was an informative and interesting afternoon.

And that stemmed from me stopping at a local shop to pick up some .38 Special, and ,357, after taking my daughter to the state range, with her mom's Woodsman, and the GP100. She went from Target .38s to Magnums within 2 hours, first time shooting it. As we were on my Harley, and it was 90 degrees out, when we stopped, the leather came off, so the Ruger went from CC to OC, in the shoulder rig. The Colt was OC in my grandfather's leather flap holster he bought for it 50 years prior.

10. Trunk Monkey

OK I understand what you're saying now. I misread your post

11. Ghost1958

1 Few criminals armed or not really want to face a murder charge. Hence most not all will abort at the sight of an armed person if they have not already started their crime. The be shot first if your OC is about as likely as being hit with unicorn turd.

2. Hopefully, if one is carrying OC Zor CC and an armed person begins a robbery where the armed person is , the armed citizen will go to work .

Nmwabbit likes this.
  12. Trunk Monkey

I'm sorry but this hasn't been my experience. Most of the criminals that I've ever dealt with very hard time visualizing the consequences of their actions. They're not thinking about a murder charge they are thinking about whatever the payoff is for the crime that they're about to commit.

13. Ghost1958

Apparently you've not dealt with many criminals .

JimRau and Nmwabbit like this.
  14. Trunk Monkey

I'm not going to argue back and forth with you if you want to provide me with some documentation we'll go from there other night have a nice night

15. Ghost1958

You too.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  16. Trunk Monkey

It's almost impossible to have a discussion with somebody when they're only argument is "I'm right."

Unfortunately the sound on this is horrendous you're probably going to have to stick your ears real close to the speakers

17. Ghost1958

And?
    1 . You cant " sidestep out of a persons view that's looking at you already.
    2. What does the gurus oration to adoring fans have to do with OC ?

Except make my point. Criminals are not looking for a fight, but compliance with no resistance.

18. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

it "almost" certainly is "most" of the time when you're in the discussuin!

kfox75 and JimRau like this.
  19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. I'm noticing that pattern as well.

20. Trunk Monkey