opinion's on Nikon Pro-staff 3-9 BDC

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jng2985, May 27, 2009.

1. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

wondering if any of you have seen it or even better use"d" one.

I would be using it on a weatherby vanguard synthetic 30.06 for white tail and hogs. Longest shot on this lease is ruffly about 110-140 yards.

The whole setup seems to be a cheap adventure, or do you think it would be worth it in the long and get a leupold or swarovski?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

While I've never owned a Nikon, I have shot thru a few. I am always impressed with the clarity of the Nikons. A good friend of mine mounts nothing but Nikons on his rifles, and those are the ones I've viewed. Imo, they are good for the money. I don't recall him ever having to replace one. There are other good scopes out there that won't drain your bank account as well. If you can get to a Cabela's or otherwise, you can view many different scopes before you buy.

3. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

lol benifits of living in dallas bassproshop 4 minutes away and cabelas 30 minutes.

I will be checking out others, just I can get a killer deal on the nikon as of right now so idk...

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well, goody for you. :) Basspro=3-1/12 hrs and Cabela's=2 hrs. Heck, there's not a Gander closer than 1-1/2 hrs away from me.

I wish I could have been better help, but I saw your thread just sitting there gettin' no bites like a bobber at high noon in July. How nice of a buy? :cool:

5. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

lol ****ty distance although comparing basspro to cabelas is like target and walmart.

$50 off the scope. so $120 from $170. buddy of mine thought he would like it and then decided after he got home took and it out the box that he is not a fan of the eye relief. never even mounted it and its either I buy it or he takes it back.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You need to jump on that deal. I have several Nikons, and a few Prostaffs, even a couple with BDC reticle. So far I've not had a single failure of any kind. I consider them to be every bit as good as a Leupold Rifleman-if not a bit better (not to be confused with vari-x 2 or above).

7. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

my only concern with the Prostaff's "I have READ" that when sighting them in sometimes you have to over turn then turn a click or so back to get the cross hair where it needs to be..

have you experienced any of that stalkingbear?

8. JoshRushing

JoshRushing New Member

For what its worth I have and like it...

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I've had no problem with the tracking/adjustments on the scopes that I have. I'm not saying it can't happen-just that it hasn't with me. I DO tap the scope on the adjustment bell after adjusting (myth?)-perhaps this is the reason I havn't had to go past, then retract.

10. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

Then I guess i will pick it up, I have a hog hunt coming up next weekend so I will be sighting it in then. sooo we will see.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If I buy a new scope, I go with Nikon. It will do the job, is excellent quality and won't break the bank.

The Pro-Staff is a fine scope for your purposes.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got a prostaff on my 30-06 and I haven't had a single problem out of it. It's been on that rifle for 3 or 4 years and love it. I haven't had any problems with the adjustments on it and it has great clarity. If I were in the market for another rifle, I would concider another Nikon.

13. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I was in the same boat looking at the prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC. Last year I went with the leupold rifleman and was not too happy with it. This year I decided to upgrade to a Nikon. I went with the buckmaster over the prostaff. Just subtle differences for just about $50 more. To compare the two is like a camry vs corolla. Both get the job done, are really nice but one is a slight upgrade. Check ebay. You'll be able to find both at very reasonable prices:D...............just my .02.......markerdown

14. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

extremely easy scope to use. 1/4 inch spread from 150yrds. very happy with it and the price is unbeatable. I'll scan the targets when I get home.

Thanks everyone for you're replies, Jon.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good deal. I'm glad you are happy with it. :)