Opinions on my preps?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by beastmode986, Oct 3, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So far heres what I have
    4 maruchan instant lunchs
    7 raman noodles
    13lbs of rice
    10 oz pinto beans
    9 gallon's of water in thick container's
    4 gallons of water in milk jugs
    46 bottles of water(16.9 fl oz each)
    22 bottles of water(10 fl oz each)
    5 oz pink salmon(good til 2015!)
    2 cans of beef stew
    2 cans of refried beans(to mix with rice.)
    4 small cans of potted meat(can also be mixed in with rice)
    2 cans of chicken soup
    1 can of beef pot roast
    3 cans of peaches
    1 can of sweet corn
    1 can of beef ravioli
    2 cans of chunky chicken breast
    1 can of spaghetti o's
    1 large can of chicken soup
    19 cans of tuna

What do you guys think? I already have a good b.o.b put together.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Good start. Sounds like mostly pantry items. If you have room I would personally continue to but rice, beans and canned meat/tuna as budget allows. I would also suggest ammo. If things get really bad, which is almost inevitable, it makes good barter, as long as you don't barter it to someone who will use it against you:eek:

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Yep, good start alright...check this out...all in one, pretty cheap and I hear it actually tastes pretty good too!! :D

http://www.emergofoodstorage.com/products/84-Serving-Grab-and-Go-Bucket.html

Can never have too much ammo...

Baked beans, right off the supermarket shelf, can last 3-5 years as is...

Candles are cheap and versatile sources of heat and light...

Some type of water purification system is a must, everything from the fancy schmancy stuff to charcoal and sand in a PVC pipe will get you by in a pinch...

A vacuum sealer is a great investment, you can buy stuff like beans and rice in bulk to save some money...

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Soup pot, Toilet paper/paper towels might be handy as well in with the food items. Also, if you get out of town, some of those water treatment tablets (iodine i think) would be useful.

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So what's the next thing I should buy?

6. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

"Candles are cheap and versatile sources of heat and light..."

I suggest unscented Soy candles. They burn a lot longer than paraffin, MUCH cleaner, and the unscented means you won't attract any marauders looking for a quick score. And the jars clean up with hot soapy water at the end of the burn so you can reuse them for canning.

My wife and I make our own candles. A 16oz Soy candle can burn between 80 and 100 hours. I'd be more than happy to sell some to preppers if that's allowed here. Otherwise, look into making them yourself with items found online. I was fortunate to have a place locally that I buy supplies from so there is no shipping on a 50lb box of wax which could be significant.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Not a bad list to start off with but the stuff in red really contains little to no nutritional value so i would stay away from them . and the water in milk jugs ? you fill these or are they factory filled jugs because if you packed them dump them out and use the containers to store something else in like .22lr ammo. I would also add a few bottle of vitamins to your list , dried beans , dried pastas , canned hams last a long long time last time I checked we had one that had 2017 exp date on it . canned items are ok but they will get heaving to start packing out if you need to get out quickly . My wife has so much crap I cant even begin to tell you what we have . alot of it consists of pastas, canned hams, dried cereals . if you have access to canning equip or drying your own food , do it and vac it up and toss it in the freezer :) great start you have going there .

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Iodine tablets have a short life span on them so be careful about that . I prefer to use bleach for your water and then filter it out .
    Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
    8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
    1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
    If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, rotate or replace your storage bottle minimally every three months.

in a emergency get to some Bleach one gal of bleach will make 3800 gal of good drinking water

First let water stand until particles settle. Filter the particles if necessary with layers of cloth, coffee filters, or fine paper towels. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the below indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. Bleach must be fresh for best use and results.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok , I'm getting a lot of suggestions. What do you guy think the next thing I should buy is? Not the next bunch of things just the next thing I should get.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

More rice , more dried beans , Oxygen absorbers and some plastic airtight sealed buckets to start putting that stuff in .

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

You are on the right track with what you have, except with the milk jugs, they won't last long, don't count on them.

Do you have a goal for how big of a larder you want to have? A minimum of two weeks is generally suggested by the state and fed emergency officials. A well stocked pantry can get you by for that amount of time.

Just starting out like you are, I suggest buying what you usually eat, just in a larger amount. If you like canned peas, buy ten cans instead of the few you usually get, same with pasta, sauces, etc. Most canned goods will last for several years before there is any degradation in quality or nutrition.

If you eat rice it is a great staple to stock for longer term and to make your veg and meat go further. Coupled with beans you get a complete protein that you can live on. Make sure you have seasoning for your rice and beans. I like to keep lentils and quinoa on hand too. Kosher salt is cheap and will last forever, chicken and beef boulion will keep in the freezer for a long time. Granulated garlic, onion powder, pepper, dried chilis, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, dried parsley, chives and other herbs will help make even cardboard more palatable, so keep them on hand too.

Don't forget fats, you need them to thrive, so olive oil, lard, vegetable oil, etc are essential. Good luck.

It takes time to get a good stock, just work on it as you can.

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I hate having to rotate food. Because of my age it makes it difficult to rotate food so I prefer to have food that lasts long. What do you suggest I store long term? How?super pails? Mylar? My local target has freeze dried fruit right now should I pick up a few bags?

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Are you equipped to make fire for cooking the noodles and such? Even if you don't smoke, a couple of bic lighters doesn't take up much room; waterproof matches or wooden matches in a water-proofed container would probably be as good. I have a little sparking rod for starting campfires in a pinch; i think it is made with magnesium or something & scraped by steel.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ask yourself this will you eat freeze dried fruit ? buy the stuff you will eat . concentrate on high carb, high protein food . Pastas, rice are all high carb , high carb gives you more energy . dried goods like freeze dried fruits, pasta, rice , dried beans are a very valuable item they can be stored long term , lighter in weight than packing cans around , They take up less space than canned and boxed goods . canned chicken , tuna, salmon are all high protein foods your body needs proteins to help keep you healthy . I like pails there stackable have a nice carry handle . I like to vac seal my stuff before putting it in the pails but thats just me :)

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is why I have two types for this category. .22lr ammo, and empty brass for usable calibers like .45 and .308 ;)

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I have fire steel but not nearly enough matches or lighters. How can I store olive oil long term? How long is it good for? How long is food good for if I put it in home depot buckets and throw in oxygen observers without Mylar? I was thinking about picking up some 1 gal bags and storing some vitamins and mess in them like some vitamin b and c and some Tylenol, aspirin, advil, mucinex,etc. I already have a real good knife too(buck 119 special) I want to store at least a months worth of food and water.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

After that big dinner?
    Why, DESSERT of course!

Beast, you need to count calories and try to balance carbs with proteins and fats. So, here's the same test question almost no-one here'll be able to answer... How many days worth of food is that!?

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

One of my favorite passages from the Bible is "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." That's just something I try to keep in mind for myself.

There's nothing wrong with stocking up on stuff but you'll need a way to replenish at some point. And you might not need as much stockpiled if you can provide it for yourself. A good water filter might make it easier to come by water? You might not need as many beans if you can grow some? Just something to keep in mind. :)

19. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I keep my extra oils in the freezer. I rotate them out from there when I need a container to cook with. They won't go rancid in the freezer and will give you at least a year or better if you lose refrigeration.

I make my own buckets with mylar and O2 absorbers. Fill and seal the bags with beans, rice, or pasta and close them up.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of beer, vodka, tomato juice or V8. You can trade it if you dont drink it. White vinegar, Listerine, sanitizing lotion, toilet paper, toothpaste, floss, anti diarrhea, antibiotic ointment, toothpicks, soap and the list goes on. Dont forget the items that you will be desperate for and cant get. If you have kids, Pedialite and kids Tylenol.