Opinions on hi point pistols

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by DEagle13, Nov 13, 2011.

1. DEagle13

DEagle13 New Member

Whats everyones opinion on high points?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are better than glocks.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

This topic has been chewed on time and time again.

What it comes down to, many owners like them, and many people talk smack about them and call them a cheap piece of junk.

Not too many actual owners talk bad about them, except regarding their looks and ergonomics.

My opinion, best value on the market when you compare reliability vs money spent. Not to mention their lifetime warranty, and they don't care how many owners their guns go through, they'll still honor that warranty.

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

after shooting my FIL double 9 yesterday... I'll sit on the junk side.

5. DEagle13

DEagle13 New Member

Im thinking about getting the 9mm carbine...and the 45 acp pistol

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

You can sit on the junk side all you want, and I respect your opinion and your right to do so. But this is where I point out the lifetime warranty. If it's broke, they fix it. They fix it for free, throw in a few upgrades if there's any available (sights, extractors, etc.), usually a new mag or two for your trouble, and a good thorough cleaning. Which is a good thing, because takedown for that thing is a B!@#%.

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

i saw a torture test on youtube they ran over the thing with a dodge 4x4 , threw it at a tree and it still fired flawlessly .. most of all the bad ive heard were from people who never owned one. most who have owned them have never said a bad word about them except the occasional explosion hahha

8. partdeux

I'll have to let him know... It was crazy, the spread at 21'.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

May be a damaged barrel. The one I've shot held about 3-4" groups at 21'. Now if you consider that to be bad, then there's no changing your mind. I'm assuming you mean something truly terrible right?

And no offense, but I don't base quality on a single person's grouping with a gun, even if that person is someone I know is an excellent marksman. Now, if the gun were in a vise, or shot by several different people, and maybe from a rest of some sort... That's a totally different story, but you haven't shared those details, feel free to if you want. There's a lot of people that can shoot better than me, so if I claim a 4 inch group at 15', then chances are the gun is likely perfectly capable of 2" groups.

10. partdeux

Considering I just put a 1" grouping at the same distance with my 22/45 (iron sights), and then went to 6" grouping. Next time we go out I'll put the gun in a rest and use the my tac ammo. If it still shoots bad, then will start looking into sending it back for repair.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Why was this posted here? I didn't think Hi-Points were Springfields.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Different guns and different shooters man. I can hold a 3 inch group with my SW 65 at 21 feet, and a 2 inch group with my mom's M&P 40 at the same distance. My mom can hold a 1 inch group with mine and a 4 inch with hers at that distance. Just one if those things. I've tried to talk her into trading, but she won't hear of it.

13. partdeux

different gun, same shooter :) I personally find 6" at 21' to be a bit broad.

i don't know the history of this firearm, but know he takes care of everything he owns, nor do I know if the age of the ammo had an impact, which is why I want to run my CCI Tac through it. And it wasn't like everything was off to one area like my XDM9 likes to do (user error), it was literally complete circle.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

It very well could just be the best that gun can do. It happens. There have been cases where an experienced marksman can't get the same group with 2 different guns of the exact same model and age. For it to not even hit POA by chance is a bit odd though. How well does your dad shot with it? About the same?

15. partdeux

Much worse, but he hasn't shot in a very long time, he was having trouble with his glasses, and his hand shaking was helping. That's the primary reason why I shot it, he was having trouble staying on the 15x15 target, and since I had just did that small grouping figured it was just him...

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would shoot it from a rest of some sort and see what happens. But, that kind of group out of a gun that cheap? I'd be bugged and be wanting to get that straightened out, by taking advantage of that warranty. They may just swap the barrel and test fire it, and I don't know what their factory standards are for accuracy.