Opinions on FN PS90?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Okay, so the search continues for my wife her first rifle...and as stated in a previous thread about a different firearm...she is going for looks alone, and is now hell bent on the FN PS90.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it, except that it's not American...but the one problem i'm finding is that it appears NOBODY carries the 5.7x22mm ammo...and the few places I can find only carry polymer tipped...

Anybody have one? Opinions on it? How hard/expensive is the ammo to come by?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Its 50 rounds for 40+$ rifle is ok. Has no real distance..show her an fn2000 or hk sl-8 same price range...better rifles and cheaper ammo :)

3. clearsights

clearsights New Member

I love mine. If there is a range nearby that has it, take advantage of that. My wife was sold on it the first time she shot it. Her face lit up! Anyone who I have let shoot it has enjoyed it immensely. There is so little recoil.
    Realize what it was designed for: urban combat. So as tacticalfun said it is not built for longer ranges. The ammo is pricey. I have a couple shops near me that carry it plus I buy in bulk if I get the chance.
    It is a breeze to disassemble. It was again designed to take down in the field as easy as possible. Google it and let her see that as well.
    I know it is not American, but FN makes great weapons.
    Either way, I hope she finds something she enjoys!

4. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I have a friend that is supposed to get one in a few weeks, I can report more after he gets it. Maybe we can get together for a shoot and she can try it, if you have not decided on something by then.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

If she wants one based on looks I demand a picture...
    ...of YOU Prime Pork Chop. On second thought...

...it is a really odd looking gun. Has its fans 4 sure. I do recall a cool tactical guy not even getting on target with it as he ran his paces first I saw one in action and had to laugh.

6. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Legend tells that no camera exists that can capture this ugly mug without shattering into a million pieces

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

FN, while not American owned has a huge presence in the US. They make M-16's for the military. If she is set on that caliber, look at the AR-57. Uses the same mags, but works like an AR.

9. Capybara

Capybara New Member

.80 per round to shoot that? No thanks. Have seen the gun on Top Shots and Top Guns, it is innovative and interesting but to me, at that price for ammo, it would not be a very good value to shoot/own. The cartridge is also reportedly challenging to reload/hand load, have seen several kabooms on the web, all were with handloads.

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a PS90 and love it. It comes with a tritium optical sight.

Ammo is readily available online,. usually around $22-$24 per box. But that's a box of 50, not 20, so it's less expensive to shoot than most center fire rifles.

The shorter SMG version, the P90 is widely used by LE all over the world.

I think she made a wise choice.:)

12. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I've tried finding the p90 for sale and can't find jack... One site said you can't buy unless law enforcement or military :confused:

13. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Gunbroker. Theres 83 of em on there!

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo!

I've shot both and while neither is for me..."hate squishy bulpup triggers", the FS 2000 is IMHO the better bullpup. Yes, it's trigger is typical bullpup squish but it does "stage" consistently so it can be fired quickly and accurately but the biggest benefit is that you get the much better 5.55 MM round and magazine interchangability with any AR's you may already own.

I would try hard to let her handle and shoot a bulpup before buying her one...they are "freaky odd" ergonomics for anyone use too a traditional rifle.

Tack

15. clearsights

clearsights New Member

The p90 is the full auto version. Plus it has a shorter barrel. NFA.

16. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I see PS90s

but not P90s...

17. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Ah ha!!!

That's why I can't see it...someone earlier had suggested trying that instead...I was searching for Semi-Auto

I live in Illinois :(

No P90 for me:(

18. fetep

fetep New Member

I voted for the colt in the poll you posted because ammo is ridiculously over priced for the PS90, that being said though it is a great rifle and should be considered. It is light, has very little recoil, and is really easy to shoot, I don't own one but have put several hundred rounds down range with a coworkers. If ammo wasn't so pricey I would own one.

Fetep