Opinions on DPMS

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TreyE15, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TreyE15

TreyE15 New Member

A while back ago I bought my first AR15: DPMS Oracle. I've had a great experience with it. It was (at the time) 650$ and some magpul irons sight brought it up to 722 total. Came with a solid case and two metal, standard 30 rd mags. But recently when I talk to a lot of gun owners, I hear DPMS is either average or below average. Any thoughts?

2. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I was handling one earlier. It was a 11.5" model. It seemed to be on par with all the mid level guns to me.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I have the DPMS carbine with 11.5 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch flash suppressor deal. It has held up to repeated use and is accurate. Like any gun I have it gets cleaned after use. My brother has two colts. Maybe someone with a better analogy could make a comparison between say... A nicer 1911 (not an exorbitant custom job) and a comparable mid range priced 1911 in relation to build and material quality of the DPMS to another make of AR?

4. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Didn't notice the section this is in... Maybe move it to a more appropriate subforum?

5. TreyE15

TreyE15 New Member

I've had no complaints from mine. I see the negatives coming mostly from other forum where shooters seemed to have one bad experience and/or seemed to be set on a particular higher end model or brand. I just wanted to see of DPMS was notorious for anything and I just hadn't heard about it yet. This is the gun itself, and even though I've only been a black gun owner for maybe a year, I feel like it performs very well.

Attached Files:

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If average is the standard commercial grade AR then I'd say DPMS is slightly below average. Doesn't mean it won't work for you but in normal times you can get better for not much more money. PSA is an example, $700 used to get you a well above average AR with a milspec barrel, BCG and receiver extension.

7. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I have the same exact DPMS with the 11 1/2 in barell with the 5.5 in flash suppressor with the HBAR it has the forward assist an dust cover I just orderd a DPMS flat top . I'm able to shoot three different rounds under 1 MOA ,.56. , .67 and . 58 MOA very impressed with this short barrel and reliability .

image-3553470691.jpg

image-3553470691.jpg

image-3532337636.jpg

8. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

I have a 16in DPMS Orcale that I carry as a patrol rifle. Now let me say first that I love my rifle and will never sell it due to being a great plinker and hog and coyote gun. But for it's current primary role, training and duty carry (including multiple rifle courses) it's just not up to par. I'm in the process of building a Spikes and hopefully BCM SBR to fill the this role. IMO if she works well for you, then it's the perfect gun for you. And here's some pics with work and play setups, and it's potential accuracy. ( don't mind the lower in the second pic, that's my spikes lower I was testing, I actually use my DPMS lower and the target was shot with DPMS lower)

image-3268038665.jpg

image-39448799.jpg

image-3305644873.jpg

9. TreyE15

TreyE15 New Member

Thanks for the info. With all the info I get I hope to make a better choice for my next AR. I really like my DPMS and I think it's a great gun to learn with.

The info I never get from most critics is why they dislike the gun or the way it performs. I can't seem to really get the "Why" for the opinions on DPMS. Just that its average and below. Is there a certain reason why it's not a good patrol rifle? Where is it lacking in the different areas that you need a higher end rifle?

10. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

There is nothing wrong with a DPMS rifle. I have 4 AR's and It seems to shoot just as well as my Bushmaster and Colt. That being said I also have a Sig Sauer AR and I believe it is the finest AR I have shot to date.

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

As a retired gun dealer I can tell you DPMS is a solid, well built gun. I own two of them, and a colt, as well as others.

12. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

There are others on this forum that are much more qualified to tell you the reasons why as far as types of metals used and quality control practices, that's just something I don't have experience with. I've seen reviews saying DPMS are horrible rifles because of this reason or that, but bought mine anyways to familiarize myself with the platform like I believe you have. When plinking or hunting I love it, it's rarely given me a hiccup at those times, but while running a couple of course I've had parts fail and issues with ammo. I contribute the ammo issues to both the rifle for being picky and the ammo for being cheap. But the parts failing like the hammer retaining pin breaking and extractor not extracting I contribute to just pushing the rifle hard and fast. The thought that if I carried it into a firefight where it will be run hard and fast there's a slim possibility it could fail (not malfunction which can be cleared) just doesn't sit well with me, my loved ones or my partners at work. With that being said the odds of me being in a firefight are slim meaning unless your an LEO or military your odds are even less, so like I said before if you love the rifle and she doesn't fail on you then she's perfect. And keep in mind this has just been my experience with my rifle, there are thousands others out there.

13. TreyE15

TreyE15 New Member

Your information is probably to best I have ever gotten. In fact I think it's the only good info and solid explanation I have ever gotten for why DPMS can get a bad rap. All of this makes sense. I have never really leaned into the rifle, but have had days of shooting 400+ rounds and felt it performed well. Your reasoning behind not using it as a service rifle is pretty sound as well. I've recently applied for some Patrolman jobs and I now have that information to carry forward with me. I really appreciate it.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For your reading pleasure:

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

15. ThomasJefferson2013

ThomasJefferson2013 New Member

I wouldn't buy one. I'd go with stag seeing how they manufacture most parts for other company's. If your looking for a pricier option, I'd say 1 lwrc2 lmt, 3 bravo company, you'll be more than happy with those especially the lwrc. Good friend of mine has one and it's the best I've come across

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

In the late 90's, DPMS had a significant amount of quality control issues. My understanding is that has been improved upon. Not a tier 1 gun, but still pretty decent if you can find a decent price. Right now if you can find any AR under 1000 bucks you probably should jump on it.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have/had a DPMS Sportical, which is similar to the Oracle.

Mine was an excellent gun. I upgraded with Magpul MOE furniture (better ergos, less...like zero...rattle, and affordable), an M16 BCG, and a Red Dot scope. $300 worth of upgrades made it a tight and light little eats-anything carbine. Good gun. It's currently up for sale at my LGS in case someone wants to go nuts and pay a crazy $1400-2000 price. And if they don't, I'll be plenty happy to keep it.

They probably vary from one gun to the next, but I'm 100% happy with my DPMS. I have some higher end ARs (DD, BCM) to measure it against, and it's a solid gun for the price. Without the upgrades I probably wouldn't love it as much, however.

18. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

The why part, is because you are on the Internetwebs, and everybody is a Tactical Ninja Secret Agent 007, and a Call of Duty level 17 expert.

Lots of people simply repeat the drivel they read on other Forums.

DPMS makes a fine mid priced firearm. If you shoot 1-2,000 rounds per year it will be fine. If you shoot 1-,2000 rounds per week, or carry it daily for work, you may want to upgrade slightly. Mine has been flawless.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  19. TreyE15

TreyE15 New Member

Makes sense. I was planning on getting into a 308 caliber rifle and wanted to stick with DPMS. I Hesitated after hearing a lot of things. From what I understand the quality goes up when you get into their AR-10 rifles.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You should have said this was about getting a .308 in your first post.