Opinions on defense carry ammo...Thanks

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by eborden1122, Dec 3, 2011.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Everyone, what would be a better defense round for my everyday carry pistols. I always carry a 1911 model, be it a Colt, Sig or Kimber. Which would be better as far as one shot stop, Double Tap 230gr controlled expansion or the Hornady Critical Defense 230gr FTX. Or if you believe another brand is better please let me know and why. Thank you for your help. Ed

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Seems like your using a damn good round already, i use Hornady as well.

Here is a round that i retrieved one day while i was target shooting,they have good even expansion

20111106_191040-1.jpg

20111106_191054-1.jpg

3. eborden1122

I have the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in almost all my pistols now and like it. I was wondering how good the Double Tap ammo is, have you ever had any experience with it. Thanks MrWray!!

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The photos that i posted are the double taps, i really like them. I also use the Hornady custom rounds in my .357sig and they perform well too

5. eborden1122

Ok, now I got it. Nice pics by the way. Looks like I need to pick up a couple of boxes of Double Tap and give them a test. Thanks for your help bro.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No problem bro, i should have specified better but the photos i posted are the 230g from my 1911 @ 15yds

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Both will work great, as will almost all other name brand 230gr defense rounds if they cycle well in your gun.

DoubleTap uses a multitude of bullets (often Speer Gold Dot), but in this case it appears they've gone with a Winchester bullet. They're loading it pretty hot if it's reaching their claim of 1010fps. That likely lands it in the +P class, as most standard pressure 230gr defense loads are going to run around 800fps. My Hornady Tap 230gr +P claims 950fps.

DoubleTap is great. It's also expensive, and probably won't give you any decided advantage over something like Winchester Rangers...which you can get for around $30/box of 50. I seem to have accumilated a bit of everything, but mostly lean on Rangers. If you want a couple extra oomph rounds at the top of your magazine, I recommend CorBon Pow'r'Ball 165gr. It's 1200+fps, doesn't plug in clothing, penetrates barriers such as light sheet metal or glass without expanding.

8. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Forget about the "one shot stop" junk you read on the internet.
    There is no such thing. It just so happens that I was involved in
    an altercation and I was carrying a Springfield XD .45acp loaded
    with Speer Golddot 230gr jhp. It stopped the bad guy, but didn't
    incapacitate or knock him from his feet. The round struck him just
    left of the sternum. Range was 10-12 feet. I have since switched
    to a Glock .357 Sig with Speer Golddot 125gr jhp.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Guess you need to learn to aim better :rolleyes:
    Or mabe you were aiming at the left of the sternum:confused:
    In either case hows a Glock 357 sig going to help over a 45:confused:
    At 10-12' there is a such a thing as a "one shot stop" - You have to place the shot right - Seen one or two with a lot smaller calibers :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like Sweeper said as long as it will function/cycle in your firearm that's the main thing. It also boils down to personal preference too. I like to carry Speer Gold Dot, but I also ocassionally like to experiment with other brands just to see if I like them or not.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Even 230g ball ammo is a good SD round when it comes down to it. JMB originally designed the 1911 to feed nothing but ball ammo, a bullet that heavy travelling at the speed it does is gonna deal extensive damage whether its an FMJ or JHP. Just use what makes you comfortable

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

That's very true. I personally wouldn't want to use FMJ ammunition, because over penetration is a big concern with ball ammunition. My father use to work at one of the local hospitals and one night after coming home from work he was telling me about how a woman got shot in the ear by a FMJ bullet over penetrating from her neighbor's house.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry fmj in my spare mag. if gods forbid im ever getting shot at by a loony under cover i can switch mags to fmj for barrier penetration. 230grn fmj spare mag 230grn hollowpoints in the mag in the gun. either way i got effective ammo that shoots the same poi.

i use whatever premium hp ammo is available when i feel the need to cycle ammo. it really doesnt matter with 45acp it starts out the size of a manhole cover...

14. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Thats why I use frangible rounds or polymer filled fmj.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

15. rugernut

rugernut New Member

The hornady 357 mag xtp i did the water test on this ammo and it came out perfect and it's powerful

16. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

I carry a 1911 in .45acp. Most of the time, it is in a shoulder holster with two spare mags.

The sidearm is loaded with the original Black Talon ammo. The spare mags are filled with 230 grain FMJ.

During past experiences, I found either works well.

The main objective is not what you hit someone with but that you hit them.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

18. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I've always thought of a handgun as a defensive back-up to either my rifle or my shotgun. My shoulder firearm is my primary use tool with a good handgun as a back-up to it. I've read too many reports where pistols, some with killing shots, just didn't get the job done right in a timely manner. I like my handguns but I don't prefer them as a first line of defense if I have a choice. Naturally, when I carry concealed, I don't have the option of a shoulder weapon so I prefer to use a big bore pistol and use well placed shots in conjunction with good defensive tactics. Simple things like being able to hit a target center mass and follow up with a competent head shot while keeping your back against a wall, car, truck or other solid object works well. To me, shot placement is more of an important issue than which bullet is more effective in theory. The effectiveness of any round becomes moot when you get an attacker to stop attacking you with the right well placed shots.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I vote for the Federal HST also. I think barrel length can affect how a round reacts & I've seen water jug tests, with 4 layers of denim in front, where the HST bullet gave great results in expansion & penetration from compact pistols with 3.25" (9mm) & 3.6" (.45ACP) barrels. Not to mention that a 50 round box of HST isn't much higher than a 20 round box of other SD ammo. Save some $$ without giving up reliability, etc.

20. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Winter time I prefer critical defense and powerball myself. And that's based on professional and private testing results. JMO. Many excellent SD rounds to choose from that will get the job done. I normally load Golden Sabres or Black Talons in srping, summer and fall.