opinions on businesses that prohibit ONLY open carry

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by hawkguy, Jan 9, 2016.

1. YES! i would boycott a business that prohibits ONLY open carry

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. NO! i would not boycott a business that prohibits ONLY open carry

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

ok....so now we have open carry in texas.

when it comes to a business's right to prohibit concealed or open carry....i am in support of their right to do so.....whether i agree or not.

now...in texas, a business may prohibit either concealed OR open carry...or both.

so...here is where i would seek the polite opinions of the posters here. the question is: do you feel prohibiting ONLY open carry is a stance worth boycotting a business?

i may be in the minority here....but i would not boycott a bussiness as long as they allow concealed carry. the reason? for me, its not political....its practical. if a business still permits concealed carry then i have the god given right to protect my family intact. therefore, i will not boycott businesses that ONLY prohibit open carry. if a business prohibits both, i think i would definitely boycott them, and tell them why.

this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree of course. i am curious about the general attitude of the board on this topic.

thanks for your input.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I am used to not boycotting places that take exception to my lifestyle. Or I'd have to boycott every bar in this state :)

3. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

boycott is a leftist passive response to whatever gets their panties in a knot this week. never play the other mans game.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance of this portion of the Texas law. Is open carry allowed without a permit?

In Washinton, open carry is allowed without a permit but concealed carry requires one. So, here banning open carry does infringe on the rights of those who cannot affoard, or do not wish to go through the process for whatever reasons.

If the requirements for either form of carry are the same then I don't have a problem with asking people to shift the method without denying them the means to defend themselves.

5. hawkguy

americans have been boycotting as a form of civil disobedience against the perceiveably unjust since before they were officially americans....corrrect? :confused: boycott is as american as apple pie imo.....maybe more so.

but speaking only for myself....it takes a helluva a lot for me to permanently boycott a business....they have to REALLY tick me off. a difference of opinion is definitely not enough to merit a boycott. interfering with my right to protect my family....that might do it. :)

6. hawkguy

no worries, almost impossible imo....to retain info on all the guns laws of every state without quite a bit of research on the matter.

a concealed permit is required in texas for concealed OR open carry. businesses can post signs that specifically prohibit either individually....or both.

many businesses, once the open carry passed.....have posted signs prohibiting open carry, yet still allowing concealed carry.

i personally agree with your statement in bold below.

7. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

yes, i would boycott them. in Texas a permit is still required to open carry, which means that person has met the qualifications that they aren't a criminal.

do i agree with it? nope. but i do think the business has the right to restrict or ban whatever they feel is appropriate to their establishment. in this case the property owners rights trump the gun carriers right to carry.

i also don't agree with it because i feel it infringes upon the method a person desires to use to carry. in my opinion, nothing in the Second Amendment specifies about how we bear arms.

but i also don't see making huge fuss over the issue. all a person has to is if they disagree, is to do business elsewhere.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

Problem is, in Texas, you do NOT have a Right to carry a handgun, not Open or Concealed.

You are given permission to carry by following a strict set of rules, guidelines and paying a $fee$.

In other words, handgun "carry" in Texas is a privilege bought and paid for, not a "right".

Me, I don't violate No-Guns signs whether they carry the force of law or not.

Will I boycott a business that post a No -Open Carry sign, but allows Concealed carry, I actually do not know. I guess it would depend on the business and whether I thought they were Liberal trash or they were just trying to keep everybody as comfortable/happy as they can.

I would have to look at each business and situation independently.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I think you are doing the business owner a huge favor if you avoid their establishment due to a disagreement. How else are they to know they are not serving their customer base? You don't have to go on TV or the web and brag about it. Just don't give them your money. If we all do that when and where we please, the world will be a more gun friendly place. My passions are currently avoiding Chipotle and all movie theaters. "F" them. They don't want my business. Ok. I am out. But I don' t tweet, brag or advertise my beliefs. I just do my thing.

10. Dallas53

in a sense, i do agree with you. yes, having to pay for a permit is in a way paying for privilege, rather than exercising a right.

but the alternative could be like some states with restrictive gun laws, that are "may issue" states and make it very hard for the average law abiding citizen to get a carry permit. Texas is a "shall issue" state, and though not perfect, it's still much better than some have in regards to their gun rights.

11. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

No would not boycot over 'no open carry'

As a business owner I respect someone's right to self defense. Would not ever be a 'gun free zone' as most larger businesses have become in Minnesota. I would not allow open carry in my office however. It is simply too much of a negative distraction for people who don't understand firearms ownership and I have a business to run.

Anyone who would not work for me over open carry is most likely not a person getting a job offer anyway. It totally distracts from the business environment and I'm not about to tell my employees and my customers that they have to be in line with open carry. I am in biz to make money.

12. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I answered No mainly because to me "Boycott" means "Never ever do business with them". However, the frequency of entering the place would decrease. I OC regularly. I do not like having to lock up my gun in the lockbox in my car just to go into a business. So, I will look for alternatives. But I am not so idealistic as to say "Never" over this point. Similarly, businesses that are entirely gun-free zones get much less business from me, but I do business there when it is enough more convenient for me.

13. mseric

mseric New Member

Absolutely, but in all but a handful of States, Handgun carry is a privilege and not a right written into the State Constitution, so it cannot be violated.

We have Open Carry here in MN, I have never seen a "No-Open Firearms" sign, only No-Firearms signs. I do not spend money in places that post no guns signs, ever. The only place I go that is posted is the Hospital or clinics. Other than that, no gun, no money.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  14. Minorcan

Minorcan Member

If its legal, I don't believe in paying people that prevent me from doing what I want.

15. Dallas53

if i remember correctly, there are actually only four states that allow a person to carry without a firearm without a permit as long as they are legal to own or buy a handgun.

well i live in medium sized town, and so far, other than the courthouse and the post offices, and liquor stores, i can't recall any places having a "No Firearms" sign. i'm not not for sure i have ever even heard of any having one.

16. hawkguy

i both agree and disagree. like you, i wouldn't go to too much effort to make my point. if i chose to boycott a business, i would write an email to CS and management explaining why and let it go. but unless their business was an absolute need and there was no alternative, they would never see another nickel of my hard earned. i have only boycotted ONE business in my life thus far....and i have never been back in years.

may i ask why you boycott chipotle and movie theaters? i have never seen a "no guns" sign at either in my neck o' the woods....i know chipotle asked "no open carry" publicly....but i have still never seen a sign prohibiting any carry in a chipotle, hope it stays that way.....their barbocoa is tasty! :)

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

a big reason i am switching banks next week is my current bank posts against ccw my new bank does not. whether a business honors my rights influences my choices in who i spend money with.

when i opened my new accounts the asst manager asked why i was switching. i told her i feel safer in your business as you welcome conceal carry my old bank prohibits ccw. if my old bank asks why i am leaving i will tell them. but i am not going to bring it up if they do not ask. they have had every location robbed at gunpoint in the last year.

my new bank has had zero robberies and they are the only bank that welcomes ccw. every other bank is posted and all have had robberies.... hmmmm....

anyway the no ccw sign in wisconsin also prohibits open carry there is no distinction here between ccw and oc. so a business being posted does influence my decisions in who i patronize.

in wisconsin a posted business can only ask you to leave if your carrying. if you do not leave only then can they call the police who will issue a civil forfeiture ticket for 100$. this ticket does not even rise to the level of being caught spitting on the sidewalk. so i choose to ignore such signs anyway as my safety is more valuable than being asked to leave if some sheeple sees i am carrying...

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I have more of a problem with businesses that advertise "free" wifi, but in fact block your legitimate firearm-related content, including this website.

Of course their "free" means only "free of charge" - and so it should be posted, for truth in advertising. So I don't count on them when my data plan is maxed out.

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't generally support businesses that have a no ccw sign in Ohio. Few people open carry in public, and I have never seen a no open carry sign.

That said, I wouldn't boycott a business with a no open carry sign because of the people that get a dozen friends with ARs and decide to go eat. That scares off customers and I understand a business that doesn't want that kind of crowd.

20. mseric

mseric New Member

...but I don't think that is what the Hawk was referring to.
    I think he was referring to guys like you and me that mind our own business, carry a "handgun" either open or concealed.

The protest or look-at-me long gun carrier is another topic entirely, Just my .02.