opinions on a new bolt gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Sep 12, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

im looking at a new rifle end of the month and the top rifle atm is this CZ550UCS the reason i like it is the really nice set trigger big 10 round detachable box mag its also got a threaded barrel. the one thing that has me a bit concerned is the ultra short barrel

another one im considering is this Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FCP-SR not crazy about the digi cam stock.

another is this one Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA but im not too crazy about all the rails kinda detracts. but i really like adjustable for length and cheek weld stock a LOT. the 300winmag holds 6 the 338 holds 5

i know its cross caliber between 308 300 winmag and 338 lapua but i reload so ammo price isnt that much of an issue. im more concerned about overall quality and feature package along with accuracy

the savage models are longer and heavier than the CZ but im from czech descent and thats a big draw to me along with the weight and length factors. i do intend to add a suppressor

general opinions wanted, ammo cost isnt a factor, and am i missing other quality bolt guns along these lines with detachable mags.

i dont want a custom rifle built and a remington is not on my list either mainly due to the issues i personally have loading the internal magazines.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Hey Jon,The CZ should be a great gun but it sure is pricey compared to a Savage.
    I really enjoy shooting my Savage 10FCP,it even shoots better than my 12FLV.
    My 10FCP was a Cabelas exclusive,and came with a Choate Tactical stock for $699,and I've seen them on sell at Cabelas for $649.It has a detachable magazine (only 4 rds),24" barrel,and a 1-10 twist.My smallest group to date with 208gr AMax's is .223",so it does shoot very well.

If you were wanting a higher capacity magazine,there is a kit available for the Savage,and you still wouldn't be anywhere near the price of the CZ.
    Here's a link to it-
    http://www.tacticalworks.com/CDI-Precision-Drop-Box-Mag.-Savage-Short-Action.html

[​IMG]

I've shot the 10 BA,and the 110 BA.They are neat rifles,but they don't shoot any better than the standard style stocked Savages,so to me they aren't worth the extra $$$.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks. One thing i forgot to add to that list is it must have a thicker than pencil barrel to enable 5 shot strings without excessive heat buildup. Its one consideration heavily against the 300 and 338 chamberings as both those have massive heat signature compaired to the 308.

I would kinda like savage since i might be able to swing a super nice scope on the deal. The negative on the cz is i will be forced to use my older leupold because of the much higher price point.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

5. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Another rifle you might want to look at is Ruger's new Gunsite scout rifle, its a lot like the CZ but has iron sights, forward mounted picattiny rail, integral scope mounts, and the stock is adjstable for length of pull,all that and at less than half the cost of the CZ, oh and its in .308

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

I didnt even know tikka/sako made a rifle like that. Thanks for the info ill look at that one too. I likethe tac version with the threaded barrel.

Thanks but i dont care for that rifle its a mishmash of the wrong features. The whole scout concept is a bad idea. To make a scope work on it would require use of a short range pistol scope which really suck worse than open sights since the parralax is really wrong when applied to long range rifle use.

The other issue i have with ruger centerfire rifles is the lack of quality on finished parts. It really isnt that good. Ruger triggers arent very good either. Even the rimfire ones really have to be replaced to get good performance.

If i went with their gsr i would have to rebarrel it for accuracy, new bedded stock, target grade trigger, remove the rear sight and drill/tap the reciever for a proper scope mount.

7. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

I don't see why you would have to change anything on the gsr, yes you can use a low power forward mounted scope, but its already set up to mount a scope over the receiver like normal, rear sight was designed so that it wouldn't get in the way of the scope. I've also seen guys get 1 1/2 moa out of the factory barrel easy, and yes Ruger used to have some problems with quality, but the new ones are fit and finished incredibly well. The trigger is a little funny, but easily fixed, and other than that its a well designed rifle for serious shooters who know what they want, not that I'm trying to change your mind or convince you that its better than the rest, this is just my humble opinion.

8. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

+1 on the Tikka rifles. I have a .308Win Super Varmint model with a supressor, the accuracy (1MOA guarantee) and trigger are pretty decent from the factory, barrel´s free floated, but the stock has a cheapish feel to it although it does work and doesn´t flex. LOP is adjustable with spacers.

There are also aftermarket parts available, stocks from Manners, magazine kits from Roeadale etc.

[​IMG]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im not bashing your opinion the gsr is just not what im looking for. I need a sub moa rifle out of the box that im not going to have to mod to get it to run the way i want. The gsr is fine as a open sighted 100 yard brush gun but its not a rifle suited to do anything well.

The gsr is just a standard m77 with a few features added. The box mag is good but the rest just doesnt cut it. The samples ive seen in gunshows and gun stores around here i wasnt very impressed. Ruger isnt well known for getting the scope mount holes inline with axis of the barrel. What that means is if its just a hair off your 100 yard zero is either off left or right at longer ranges

Companies who build accurate rifles designed for accuracy do a very good qa on making sure bore axis and scope base are aligned properly. Its not a big deal for a company like ruger whose products arent liekly to be used in a long range precision role.

Ive already tried a remington 700 xcr. sold it cuz it didnt meet my needs.

Some others im ruling out for similar and other reasons are winchester, remington and kimber.

10. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Have you looked at Thompson Center Icons? They have detachable magazines and < 1 MOA accuracy. The Icon Warlord looks like exactly what you are seeking, but it is a bit pricey.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks ill take a look at those too. After doing a lot of reading this morning the savage fcpsr is top of the list atm. More options to look at are very welcome.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Took a look at the thompson icon. Not really what im after altho they do have detachable mags the barrels are pencil hunting type barrels with no threaded muzzles. Im sure they are quality as their contenders are top notch.

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Add ons.........

Once you add any thing to the end of the barrel will effect accuracy, not only that but it will not shoot consistant groups.....I like the idea of building your own, starting with the barrel.......Got the time but not the money......:)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ya im aware of suppressor issues and possible accuracy loss. But i dont really want to go the custom route as its not got much resale value if i dont like it and customer support can be a real issue if something goes wrong.

A lot of factory guns can equal or exceed custom rifles for less cost.

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

You mentioned the CZ 550 Urban Counter Sniper, but how about the CZ 550 Varmint? It's still a .308 with a detachable box mag (comes with 4 round, not sure if the 10 rounder would work or not), has the single set trigger, a 25.5 inch heavy barrel, can can get it in either a walnut, laminate or Kevlar stock. I know for a fact that HS-Precision makes a really nice stock for them as well if your not happy with the stock it comes with from the factory. Not sure about any of the other stock manufacturers.

The only thing it doesn't have is the threaded barrel, but that shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars at the most, still bringing you in way under the price of the UCS.

I've never fired a CZ rifle, but I've heard that they are top notch. I do however have a handgun, and if the rifles are as nice as the handguns, then I'm sure it's a wonderful rifle and should fit your needs nicely.

Here's the link:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-varmint/

Just curious, how far are you wanting to shoot with it? Sounds like you're setting up a pretty nice long range rifle.

-Fred

16. culdee

culdee New Member

Not sure why you have ruled out remingtons (other than the internal magazine), but I have a model 700 5R in 308 that I bought used and it still will shoot sub MOA when I am up to it. Nice weight barrel and HS precision stock.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah i considered it but i dont like that style stock and im not 100% sure about cz accuracy. i have a cz550 in 458lott the set triggers are pure sexy. but its not nearly as accurate as my winchest model 70 in 458 winmag. granted the bigbores are NOT easy to shoot consistantly well but ive been shooting 458s for over 20 years. its kinda why im settling on savage the unknown factor of the cz is too much for the money for me.

600-700 max range. mostly 300yds, mainly im not a great scoped rifle shooter and i want to get better at it. i know the basics i know how to use mildots and range targets with em but i need to get the mechanics down.

i had a remington 700 xcr compact tactical. nice verrry nice gun. but i had a devil of a time loading it. traded it for a M1 garand. no one else at the range ever seemed to have an issue loading it just me. trying to load it i would get rounds literally jammed between the reciever and bolt rail so bad i had to use a screwdriver to undo it at times. it just frustrated the hell out of me. thats the main reason i dont want another remington and am looking for a box mag feed.

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

So Jon; Why don't you have a custom rifle built from scratch?

That way you get exactly want.

Some of the prices of the rifles your looking at are getting close to what it would cost to have a custom build. Of course some are not.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

custom builds are hard to sell if i dont like it. ive already sold off my remington cuz i didnt like it. once i get a better idea of what i want ill go that route. savage actions dont suck that bad so if i like this one i will already have a good start.

20. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Weatherby TRR has everything you are looking for except the box mag. I'm sure you'll be able to get one though without too much fuss. Check it out, the Weatherby MK V is well known as the strongest rifle action available and they seem to be very accurate too :cool: