Opinions on 308 AR platform rifle

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CamoToe1, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

I've been looking into a semi-auto chambered in .308. Primary use will be hunting but also want a decent target rifle. I have a qd mounted scope for my ar15 that I can swap back and forth depending on what I'm hunting.

The M&P 10 looks promising since it has an 18" lightweight barrel, midlength gas system and accepts Pmags. I know I don't want a bull barrel since I'll be taking it into the field.

Any opinions or suggestions? I also have a box full of milspec AR 15 parts so no need for a decked out rifle from the factory.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

top of my ar10 list would be the rra ar10's. SW does a decent job and ive never herd of a ar10 that wasnt a good shooter although some can have reliability issues. amost no ar15 parts swap into any ar10. ar10 are unique to each maker with extremely little to no brand to brand swapping of parts.

i went scar17. might be more than you care to spend but other than the m1a its the only milspec semi 308 out there.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Lightweight and target aren't really compatible. Unless you want to wait 30 minutes between shots......

DPMS is more affordable, you can use Pmags too. I don't know if AR10s are necessarily more accurate, companies like Noveske make top quality components so ya, they're probably gonna be more accurate than a DPMS.:rolleyes:

I say build your own. I'd start with a mated Mega MATEN set of recievers. Muy Sesci :D

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If I had the coin, I'd build an Ar308 or Ar10 before buying a Scar, but DAMN I've always wanted a Scar H/17. Now if we could buy Scar component, and build one, I'd be in heaven.

5. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

No doubt a Scar 17 would be sweet, but just not in my price range at the moment. Dpms and RRA .308's seem to get great reviews, however I've never held one in person that didn't feel front heavy. The dpms accepts pmags. The RRA may be the most accurate of the bunch but uses FAL mags and has the same balance problem.

The parts I have left over are a magpul miad grip, magpul midlength moe handguard and a RRA CAR milspec stock. These parts should swap on most AR 10's.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can. But it takes a bit of hunting and time for things to come in stock from various sources.

You can build them using lowers that take pmags. Ive got one of those lowers but no pmags are currently available for the 308.

Have you handled a scar17?? They make ar10 varients feel like something quasimodo would use...

One of the huge reasons i went scar over ar10 is the weight and balance issues ar10 have. Then scar17 is in the same weight range as a lot of ar15's while retaining near perfect balance.

7. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Huh? http://www.grimreapertactical.com/product_p/pmag20lr.htm

This was just the first site to come up, I'm sure there are other vendors.

8. samnev

samnev New Member

I looked at a S&W MP 10 at J&G Sales and was surprised at how badly the receiver was finished. The receiver was pock marked with tiny holes all over the receiver and then parkerized This really surprised me as my MP 15 is finished beautifully. Perhaps it was a factory blemish but I can not imagine how this one escaped the QC folks @ S&W. Anyone else experience this?

9. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

My buddy said the one he looked at had a huge gap between the lower and upper. At first that would've bothered me, but it's not really a concern of mine now. The balance of the rifle is more important. How did it shoulder?

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

POF makes an AR-10 variant that is nice. I have their AR-15 variant and have used their AR-10 variant and it's reliable, accurate, clean and sleek.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've been very happy with my DPMS LR-260H AR10 platform.
    I did have a cycling issue with it coming with a heavy buffer spring that DPMS doesn't know where it came from,and then tried to tell me I put it in the rifle or the dealer swapped it. My dealer gave me a new spring,and the problem was solved.
    I knew going into buying it,that the trigger sucked - Installed a new trigger,and problem solved.

The rifle weighs about the same as my RRA 20" Varminter,so that was never an issue,and it shoots better than I expected for a DPMS. It loves to shoot 140 gr Sierra Gamekings,and my favorite load for it shoots just under 1/4 moa at 100 yards-.235" groups

For a $1k rifle,I've been very pleased with it's performance.

[​IMG]

12. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I just bought a Winchester SXAR , same rifle as the FNAR.
    I have not fired it more than 100 rounds but with some plinking ammo I had laying around I am shooting MOA or very close to it.
    Only drawback is $$ for mags

13. 1911love

1911love New Member

Jon, how much cheaper is it to build a Scar 17S? Does it take gunsmith training or is it like an AR-15?