Opinions/Experience with Spikes Tactical?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by viper7342, Jan 11, 2012.

1. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

I am seriously considering purchasing a Spikes Tactical ST15 16" LE Carbine, Does anyone here own one of these rifles or anything from Spikes? If so, I was wondering what kind of quality they are, what their customer service reputation is and who has the best prices on them. This will be my first purchase of an AR type rifle and from everything I can find on these, they seem to be pretty well made. The particular rifle I'm looking at is available at the following link. ST-15 16 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $849.95 : Spikes Tactical. Would this make a quality first purchase for the following uses? Plinking, target shooting possible home/self defense, zombie invasion etc?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

SPikes is good. I had the same model but midlength which I would recomend over the carbine. Also look other places for it in stock. I've heard the wait can be quite long going through Spikes.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

4. ZekeLuvs1911

ZekeLuvs1911 New Member

I have a Spike's Tactical 16" LE and it's good. The parts they use are good and quality is good.

5. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

mjkeat,
    Can you or anyone else tell me the difference in overall length, between the carbine and mid length version of this rifle? Also, what are the names of some of the internet dealers that usually have these rifles in stock? I have done some looking, but they seem to be few and far between. Sorry if I sound Stupid, but this will be my first AR type rifle and right now, I'm at the stage of comparing prices, trying to get the most bang for my buck!

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

My bang for buck pick would be a PSA chrome lined middy.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Overall length is the same with comparable barrel length. Middies have 2" long gas tubes and rails, and are a little heavier. Middies also sport longer sight radius (better) more rail to hold onto (better handling) and some say slightly better recoil impulse (highly dependant on how its made). Middies are imho better than carbines.

8. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

Not to sound stupid, but what is a PSA?:confused:

9. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

PSA = Palmetto State Armory. I have a spikes lower and I am very pleased with it.

10. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Palmetto State Armory. Spikes is good. My upper and Bcg is Spikes and they function perfectly. Got mine from www.joeboboutfitters.com

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Primary Arms sells Spikes rifles as well if I'm not mistaken.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Only one problem they seem to be currently out of stock on all their complete PSA guns right now . Glad I got mine when I did and got my lower and upper ordered .

13. shadyshooter

shadyshooter New Member

hi guys I'm new on here and being from the UK i suppose is a bit rare. i have two spikes tactical rifles the mid length 5.56 and the st22 .22 semi auto spikes.
    they are both fantastic guns and the quality is superb I can run any ammo through them with no fails or jams really pretty perfect. i would say get one bought

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I hear those ST22s are quite the .22LR rifle. To bad they stopped making them. I was wanting to give one a go.

15. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

Spikes is great. I have no complaints with mine. Great customer service great company overall.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

In my limited experience, Spike's overgasses their systems. I only owned 1, and handled a couple others. They ship them with ST buffers (which weight between H1 and H2 buffers), and work well with underpowered Russian ammo. All the ones I've played with, I've been able to put RRA 9mm Buffers into (heavier than a H3) and they cycled under powered Russian ammo without a hitch.. So yeah, Spike's overgasses their systems. This is good because they will cycle just about everything you feed them. But they will beat up your upper receiver parts and BCG and have more felt recoil.

Just the fact that they already ship with a heavy buffer should tell you something......

17. shadyshooter

shadyshooter New Member

yeah it is an awesome piece of kit i do know quite a few guys over here with them and the later models have extraction issues, i think when the bolt quality dropped spikes dropped the st22 which is a shame they should have swapped for the CMMG bolt carrier in my opinion.
    i think you can still buy the bits and a separate bolt form another supplier like CMMG tho!

18. PittTactical556

PittTactical556 New Member

Spikes Tactical or BCM all the way. I have a Spikes ST15 and love it!!! You will not be disappointed, I have the Carbine only because they had no midlengths, I like the carbine but prefer midlengths, get the Spikes!!!! Also they put a lot of work into the aesthetics and it shows, awesome company and customer service with top notch mil-spec AR's comparable to Colt and BCM

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I think he prolly got it like........almost a year ago >.<

20. PittTactical556

PittTactical556 New Member

I am sure he did, but I am new here and some other new member might be reading old threads cause hey, maybe he is looking for a spikes, or a stag, or colt, what have you. Better late then never I was always told, it may seem that my response it to the OP but its clearly not, never know when others are dealing with the same issue. I know I referred to a lot of "old" threads when I was buying my AR.

Thanks