Opinion Please

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by curly45, Feb 11, 2009.

1. curly45

curly45 New Member

What would be a good (if any) 380. Relibable,accurate but inexpensive, or would I be better off with a 9mm and if so same questions?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What do you want to do with the weapon? What are your personal skill sets with weapons previously? What is your "ideal" configuration for the pistol in question? What do you want it to do for you?

JD

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

+ 1.

If its for defense, neither the 380 or 9. Needs to start with a ".4" for that purpose.

4. Quis custodiet

Quis custodiet New Member

You should check out the Bersa .380. It is a great little gun; well-made, reliable and easy to carry. An excellent value for the money. I'd recommend it. - Q.C.

5. WDB

WDB New Member

A 9mm is a better choice but you will have to express what you plan to use the pistol for and your experience with firarms. IE, I'm new to guns and want personal protection, I've have shot a lot and I'm looking for a carry pistol, I want to target shoot, I'm looking for a pistol for home defense.

Best advice is to find a pistol range that rents pistols and express your needs then shoot every pistol you want to. that with give you a better understanding than asking us. Hands on at a range is what you should do.

6. DiveGerry

DiveGerry New Member

Bersa Thunder 380

I own the Bersa Thunder 380 and love it. As a female, I found it was easier to conceal that my husband's Glock and if I need to use it - it will serve the purpose. The grip fits the hand well - it is tight and the sites are great. Good luck.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Assuming offhand you'll be using it for #1 plinking, and #2 home/car defense, naturally the 9mm would be not only more effective, it would also likely be cheaper to shoot, given it's NATO active status. 9mm, and even .40S&W can also be had in an package of similar size to some .380s too. I ALWAYS opt for the more powerful round when faced with a choice like that-but that's just me personally.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

+1
    Everyone is beating me this morning.... *sigh*:(

You could get a Walther PPK and walk around humming the James Bond theme song. :cool:

9. curly45

curly45 New Member

Thanks everyone, Guess I did leave a lot to wonder about. I was a SASS shooter untill we started traveling(full time R.V.'er) . I'm looking for something inexpensive to plink with and sometimes carry for defence. I've little experience with an auto but am planning on learning. Hope this helps

10. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Go with 9mm. The ammunition is plentiful and cheap. There are also more offerings of pistols in the 9mm caliber versus .380 caliber.

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

This is total different direction, but if you have alot of single-action experience why not get a smaller cowboy gun, like the Colt Lightning Revolver reproduction that Cimarron makes? I would wager 99% of the fights you're likely to get into running your coach could be settled with a sixgun.

[​IMG]

As far as autos, if I was going to get a .380 I would probably get a pocket gun like the Ruger LCP or the Kel-Tec P3AT. Not sure how much fun these guns would be to shoot as a plinker, but you can take them anywhere.

If you want a larger gun, and are still considering .380 then a Walther PPK or a Beretta Cheetah would be a good choice, although a little pricey (especially the Beretta). Everyone give me an amen if you wish they would make both these guns in 9mm!

Like some of the other here, I think stepping up in power would be to your benefit. I don't think 9mm is anemic like some people (although if I knew I was going to a fight I would carry a .40 or .45). I think a 9mm will serve your purpose well, and would recommend you look for a used Glock 19 if you are wanting to keep your pricepoint down.

Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Lightning reproduction you're referring to is NOT a TRUE correct reproduction. The original Lightning was double action, came out as the 1877 model, and was .38. The Thunderer was a .41 if I remember correctly.

13. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Yeah, the Bersa is a very good gun and is up to your standards "Relibable,accurate but inexpensive"... in here they are very popular. But it's better as a Backup gun; Taurus Millenium Pro or the 24/7 Pro would be a better choice in the 9mm caliber... they are "Relibable,accurate but inexpensive" too...

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

SINGLE ACTION CAT FIGHT!!

Come on Bear, give 'em hell!

15. WDB

WDB New Member

Pure entertainment with every question:D

16. Bighead

Bighead New Member

True enough. Does anyone know of a company making a reproduction in the correct double-action configuration?

I wonder why Cimarron wouldn't make the gun period correct, are their rules against double action for SASS, even if the gun is period correct?...I guess it is called the Single Action Shooting Society...DUH

Of course, if Curly45 has alot of reps under his belt with thumb busters, maybe the incorrect Cimarron would be better than a more correct reproduction.