Opinion on the best pump shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 97cobra, Jan 14, 2012.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I'm just kind of curious as to what y'all think is the best pump shotgun and why.

2. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

are you a lefty? I have a Browning BPS and think it's great. Bottom eject so it's great for left handed shooters. I'm not lefty..I just have it because I like it :)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my preference is for mossberg pump actions. ive got a 590A1 and an 835 with ported barrel. once they are broke in (about 250 shots or so) the action turns butter smooth. the safeties are on the top where they should be. the bolt release is under the action left rear near the trigger guard where it should be. they are just ergonomically correct.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my first choice would be the remington 870 pump, just because it's been around and is a good design that just works, nothing fancy, just gets it done.

second would be the mossberg 500, pretty much the same as the remington, just a good workhorse no frills nice shotgun.

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Mossberg. Because their barrels are interchangeable. Therefore you can use 1 shotgun for 3 different activities. (1) as a short barrel defense gun, (2) as a long barrel bird gun, and (2) as a rifled slug gun with really good accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. lawman30

lawman30 New Member

You can do the same with a Remington also.. I've got different barrels for my 870

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I like the Remington 870,it's safety is exactly where it was on my first bb gun,it just feels natural to me,but Mossberg is no less of a shotgun,I guess it just comes down to where you like all your thingys,buttons and levers.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have owned an Ithica Model 37, a Maverick 88, 2 Remington 870s, and a Mossberg 500 and 200k. My wife now owns the 500, and her daughter has the 870 20 ga. I have my 12 ga, 870 and the 200, and regularly use both. My personal preference is the 200. Built on the old bolt action design, it is sturdy and reliable, and it has a 2 shot detachable box magazine. If I need more rounds than that, a mag change can be done rapidly, and the C-lect choke makes it almost as versitle as my 870.

All of the shotguns listed in this thread so far are well built, relieable weapons. Be proud of what you own, and enjoy them.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

All you are going to hear is favorites, not best. I prefer 870 Wingmasters because everything about them feels right to me, and I shoot them as well as anything else on the planet. The Model 12 and Ithaca 37 lovers wax poetic about their hand fitted action, but that matters not to me. The BPS is in my opinion as well designed and built as anything - had 3 that never missed a beat - but I dislike bottom loading thru the magazine intently. There are millions of Mossberg lovers. Pump guns, being powered by the shooter, are inherently about as reliable as a mechanical device can be. Arguing about which is best is an overworked internet past time.

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I like the 870, got an express magnum with a rib vented barrel with screw in chokes and a shorter barrel i use for slugs both smoothbore. I also have a nef pump thats an 870 clone and i love it too. It feels natural to me and ive never had a mishap out of either shotgun. I use the express magnum for rabbit, squirrels, deer, stray cats and crows. My nef is my hd shotgun because the barrel is very short and i put a top folder on it, i also sometimes use it for deer as well.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so does the remington 870. i bought the 870 express combo years ago that had a 20" slug barrel with rifle type sights and a 28" ribbed, choke tubed barrel. plus you can always add a magazine extention tube to it.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that not what the thread title asks for?:confused: If he wanted opinions on the "best" shotgun, I'm sure he would have put a certain make and model (or 2or 3) in the OP. No offense intended.

13. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

My preference goes to the Mossberg 500. Everything about it just feels right from the safety, the slide release, to the loading gate (I love the fact that the elevator isn't pinching your fingers every time you go to load a shell). That and I have multiple barrels making it my do it all gun. I can swap out the 28 inch barrel to the rifled barrel and go from rabbit and squirrel hunting to deer hunting in a matter of seconds.

14. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Exactly, the thread asked for the "best" not the most popular Wallyworld wonder. I study firearm design as a hobby and have no particular axe to grind. But the best built, with the best materials, by craftsmen not just assembly line personel was without reservation the Winchester model 12's built before 1955. There were some other that come close but never reached the level of safety and reliabilty, or the quality of construction as the model 12. Some newer ones are as reliable, but are not built to the standards as the old model 12.

15. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

He asked for OPINIONS on the best shotgun. It will be different for everyone. There's a huge difference between opinions on the best gun, and whats scientifically the best gun.

16. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

What I personally base MY opinions on is the quality of construction, quality of materials, quality of worksmanship, and quality of design. This is what I base my opinions as to the BEST of any particular item.

17. tCan

tCan Active Member

I would suggest a Browning BPS as a first shotgun. It's a 'nice' shotgun in the sense that the furniture is respectable and design seems to be reliable and long lasting. And it all comes together for a reasonable price, especially for a Browning. It is however a more involved process to maintain it than the Mossberg and Remington. How reliable it is in the mud and dust could be a different story, but I have no experience or accounts of that. It's not my first choice for a truck, combat, or defensive shotgun. But definitely a good shotty.

I would suggest an Ithaca 37, but Ithaca doesn't exist anymore. Same bottom load/eject style as the BPS.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

The best one for me in most uses is my Mossberg 500 with one of two barrels.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

[QUOTE="tCan"

I would suggest an Ithaca 37, but Ithaca doesn't exist anymore. Same bottom load/eject style as the BPS.[/QUOTE]

????

http://www.ithacagun.com/

20. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I like older Remingtons. My 870 Express Supermag turkey gun isn't very old but it's pre Cerberus so is of good quality.
    23" vent rib Remchoke............short enough for home defense, slightly longer than reg 870 turkey models (21"), so helps with wingshooting.
    3.5" chamber for steel shot on geese (backup gun only in that regard- or as loaner).

Geese? I prefer bismuth 3" #2's, and a semi auto (for triples).

Should have my 1100 converted to magnum by next week :)