opinion on shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jayguy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jayguy

jayguy New Member

Hi!
    I want some opinions.I was thinking about selling my remington 870 20ga. 3in. magnum and buying a sks because I want a gun I can use for deer hunting and self defense ( in case WW3 breaks out :) ). So should I buy an sks or maybe a different gun?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. oli700

oli700 New Member

I have owned an sks. It shot fairly straight and I never had any problems with it. I never killed anything with it but wouldnt have had a second thought about shooting a deer with it inside 200 yards.Back then they were about 100 bucks and I bought it for the fun of it and it was well worth the price. Dont know what they go for now.

3. jayguy

jayguy New Member

I found a Excellent condition sks for $275 and I thought that was a good price.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You asked for opinions so here is mine. Keep the remmy for HD use and buy a hunting rifle for hunting. 99.99% certain you will not be defending against an invasion of Chi-Comms, most likely a druggie burglar. Do you really want to discharge a round capable of taking down a 400lb deer at 200 yds inside your home?

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What he said up there ^^^^.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

You haven't mentioned handguns in your threads? Handguns can be darn handy for home defense; i'd prefer a shotgun most times, but handguns have their advantages for HD.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Didn't you ask this question in another thread?

If you are hell-bent on buying the SKS, just do it! You don't need our permission.

If you are seeking advice, then listen.

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

400 lb deer?!!! i want one of them

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

To summarize:

Buy the sks and don't look back.

I want one of those #400 deer as well and I am in Southern Ohio. They grow big here, but not that big. :cool:

The sks is not a legal hunting gun here and if it is where you are, then more power to you. Shoot straight and clean. :)

I would keep the shotty. Guns are not cars, you don't need to trade one in or sell one to get one. If you do, then keep what you got and save up for another. Just $10 or $15 a week for 'bout 20 weeks and you have both. Jmo, of course. :D

10. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

For what it's worth with guns, always try to stay on the + side when you can. Going backwards or staying even only amplifies the fact that life is too short.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ok ok I get it y'all hunt them puny 200 pounders not the giants we have here in New Jersey...hell squirrels here can take a hit from a 12 ga and come back for more. Just look at Snooki...

[​IMG]

Seriously I think my point is still valid...a hunting round is just not suitable for HD except as a last resort. Neither, in my opinion, is a round capable of piercing a car door at 100 yds. YMMV

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

here i florida 150 lb is big and you are correct use the right tool for the job

13. powg

powg New Member

gun ...gun

I have swapped ,sold , bought new and used ,traded up and traded down... my experiances have brought me to the realization to never ever sell a gun again ...ever. just buy what you want ,save up ,work a labor deal for a gun ....but never sell what you already have . the sks is a fine weapon ,with alot of accessorys availiable to really bring it into it's own .. hell 4 billion chinese cant be wrong. :D

14. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

shot guns

what does an sks have to do with the shot gun forum?