Opening gunshop

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Rem1911, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

Hello all, I'm planning on opening a gunshop within the next year and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or heads up for me, I just recently completed schooling in gunsmithing and just now wrapping my head around everything. Thanks for the input, much appreciated

2. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

Welcome aboard!

With the current panic buying, my only tip would be get you stock order in ASAP because you are going to find a lot of items are back ordered for months now.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah what he ^^^^ said. Supplies are limited right now so your bread and butter to begin will be your smith work. Good luck.

4. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

Thanks guys, I've been looking at the build kits for ARs, big fan of the building process to tell ya the truth. I kno its a pain but I like the personal aspect, maybe I'm wrong in my thinking there

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Then make sure you get your manufacturing 07 FFL if you're going to build ARs for resale.

6. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

I'm in the works with the FFL, working on a building first before I get the FFL so I'm not.screwed before starting

7. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

You know I need to start learning too. I'll be finished with my gunsmithing in a few weeks. My piece of advice get your LLC.

8. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

I'm getting everything I possibly can, my engraving tools are already in the mail, I'd like to get into that, have some tools but I know theres thousands more. Got all my paperwork sitting infront of me though so now its just a matter of time

9. longunner

longunner New Member

Congrats I hope to do the same one day...it's my dream job. They say if you love what you do you never have to go to work.

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Make sure zoning is okay that's the biggest thing that stops most people. If you have any question you can always PM me. I got my 01 in July of last year, so the process is still pretty fresh to me.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

and where will this new store be?

12. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

Leeper area Pennsylvania

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Would that happen to be close to Leeper's Fork Firearms?

14. Rem1911

Rem1911 New Member

I don't think

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Moved your thread to the FFL section-you were in section that deals with the computer side of website.

DO get your business legal side straight (not the FFL). Setting up an LLC is a smart move.

DO see that you have the right FFL. As was said, if you are manufacturing for sale, an 01 Dealer's FFL does not cut it.

DO have a good bookkeeping system- you are going to be running a business, and paying TAXES. The tax man took down Al Capone.

If you have not yet had your ATF interview, be sure (as was said) that you are straight on zoning and business license. When you have the interview, take notes- LOTS of notes. You are about to get a good tutorial on being a FFL.

DO get insurance. Be sure it covers property of others in your care and custody if you are doing gunsmithing. See the NRA or a good independent insurance agent.

Be prepared for folks with dumb questions. And DO stop back in when you have questions for us. There are several 01's here that have been in the business for some time.

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I might wait till the new legislation goes thru, or not, fingers crossed. And then there''ll be the probably-unConstitutional "Executive Orders." My BIL took a loss selling a turned-around trailer full/ship's container of Chinese-made ammo that was en-route when Clinton banned its importation.

I'm just sayin'...