opening a safe without the combination

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Immortal4419, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Anyone have any secrets to cracking a safe without the combination? Ive found a safe that is 99% likely to have belonged to a famous person from my town. Ive acquired it and id like to open it. Id like to do it without destroying the safe or causing damage if i can help it. If i wanted to break it it would have been done im good at that! :D I dont really have money to pay a locksmith right now.

Any Ideas?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Couple of things I do not do on the internet- give directions for the manufacture of explosives, and give instructions in surreptitious entry of safes. Both for obvious reasons.

You have provided ZERO information on make, model, type, or age of safe. Say, I'd like to do a tuneup on my truck. How do I do that?

My best SERIOUS suggestion is to take the info on what you have, find an OLD TIME locksmith, take him coffee and doughnuts, and pick his brain. A safe is MADE and INTENDED to prevent casual entry. Forget anything you have ever seen in a movie about "hearing the tumblers fall" A rotary dial combo safe uses ROUND tumbler disks- each has a slot in it- when all 3 disks have the slots aligned in the right spot, it can be opened. Better safes have a relock mechanism that activates when it detects an attempt at forcible entry, making the door harder to open (for the clutz that decides to attack the dial, etc)

3. jca1

jca1 New Member

Go back to where you stole it from and ask for the combination?:D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  4. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

You could drill a small hole so that you could see the tumblers to open it and then patch the hole when done.
    Other than that I would try calling some lock smiths around and see if they know of a person that could do it without drilling the hole or if they would be able to get ahold of the safe company and see if they still have any records of it.

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Let me see...a safe that you do not have the combination to that you want to open without doing damage? Do I have that right? Well unless it's one of those $30 safes you buy at Walmart you are SOL... You see the whole point of a safe is that someone cannot simply ask for the secret phrase on the internet and have it magically pop open...:confused: If you can prove ownership a locksmith MAY be able to get it open, all depends on how secure it is designed to be.

6. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

If I had any info on the safe itself it would have been posted. I do not want to damage the safe itself because with the name behind it, it could be very valuable. Ive done a lot of research and was looking for an outside view. If you cant help dont bother posting. BTW spark plugs, belts, battery, oil change, air filter, points condenser, and coil if necessary are a great place to start on your truck tune up. I know these arent made to just be popped open.

I believe I can cut the hinges with minimal damage but without knowing the exact model yet I cant guarantee that the door will open. Ive thought about drilling but not until i know the model to drill the right spot.

so far I believe this safe to be a Diebold Safe from the 1930s-1950s. It is steel/concrete/steel designed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

I wish it was that easy, but no one has opened this safe since 1977.

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Come on.

Who's safe is it? You can tell us.;)

9. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

OH FINE, since ya asked. It is believed to be Danny Greene's safe. I work at a concert club on the street he lived and operated. His hows was blown up just a couple blocks down and he owned the bar we pulled this out of. They just opened this bar a few years ago and they just wanted the safe gone. Im hoping to find something even a piece of paper thats dated or signed.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The gangster? THAT Danny Greene?

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Wiki lists his bday as 11-14-33...good a start as any...

12. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Tried this earlier today. Still need to figure out what kind of lock it actually is.

yes. THAT Danny Greene.

13. opaww

opaww New Member

A Diebold Safe from any time frame is a good safe. If it is from that time frame then the combo lock can be manipulated to open if one knows how to do so. That takes training and putting some time into the practice.

Drilling can trash the security of a safe, not to mention that depending on the type of hard plate backing that the lock is mounted to can be an expensive endeavor. Manipulation is the best way to open it but this takes a skilled person and can take quite a while to do.

Cutting hinges will not open a safe unless it is a real cheep safe, and I don’t know right off hand any Diebold Safes that were made that cheep. It has been some 20+ years sense I worked on a safe like that and if it were here I would open it for you.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cutting hinges off does not do squat. Any safe worth it's weight in peanut butter locks on more than one edge of the door. Cutting off the hinges will merely allow the door to fall on you when you DO get it unlocked.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

danny greene... never heard of him.

quick google... ahhh union thug.

prolly nothing in there but extra votes for carter from the 70's. locksmith is you best bet since its prolly not a elcheapo from walmart.

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

How big a safe we talking here, anyhow?:confused:

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why not call a lock smith and pay to have it unlocked then pay said lock smith to reset the combo.

18. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

"I dont really have money to pay a locksmith right now."

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Well my personal classes of lock picking are $500 an hour.