Open Your Eyes?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HOSSFLY, Oct 29, 2012.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Can't remember this bein discussed here before but a few of us we shooting this weekend & for some reason I started noticing that about half of us were shooting with one eye closed- Naturaly I started a discussion :p
    I shoot with both eyes open-
    What say ya'll?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Pistol both eyes open. Rifle one eye.

3. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I try to shoot with both eyes open and most of the time I do. But everynow and then I catch myself shutting the eye. Old habits are hard to break.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Used to be the same :eek:
    Same on the rifle Downsouth-

5. floydster

floydster New Member

Right handed, left eye dominant, shoot right handed with my left eye open, right eye closed--tried with both eyes open, my brain is too old to change:)

Smokeyloads

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Depends on how deliberate I'm shooting. If small target, or long range, right eye open for sighting.

Big target, short range, fast shot ~ both eyes open.

I use to shoot right handed with left eye. After cataract surgery, use my right eye now. Keeps my arm and wrist is straighter line, instead of across my body. Can't shoot any better, though.

Bob Wright

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Military and LE training---ALWAYS leave both eyes open--rifle, pistol, shotgun, machinegun........

8. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have lazy eye and I still shoot with both eyes open. Most people have some depth perception with one eye closed...I have no depth perception at all with one eye closed. Lazy eye is why I never really got into optics. When you have 20/10 vision in your good eye there isn't much need for a scope.

10. slog

slog New Member

If you're like me and have varying vision in both eyes, closing the lazy eye makes everything clearer. I only shoot with both eyes open with a red dot parallax sight because it projects the target dot naturally on what I'm looking at.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Both eyes open with a piece of tape on the non-dominant eye lens of glasses.

Both eyes shut when in the men's room (and can still hit the circle)

12. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I shoot with one eye open. So which way is the correct way and why? I really want to know and thanks for all the info.

13. ares338

ares338 New Member

7 yards and in I leave both eyes open. I close the non dominate eye on longer shots.

14. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

It was stated earlier, good habits die hard. Now I wear glasses with no line bifocals. If I have both eyes open and I look down the barrel to the farthest sight, I see four dots instead of three. For me, it's left eye shut.

I would also like to know if this is correct or not and why.

15. slog

slog New Member

I'd just point out that Olympian shooters use some fancy covers for their lazy eye. I don't think you could label it as correct or incorrect. I only use both eyes with a parallax sight because it doesn't need to be aligned. There is only one dot and it's on the target, and the open window lets you see things surrounding the target. Only good for close to med range. On that note, I've never seen anyone shoot with a scope with both eyes.

[​IMG]

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use both eyes unless I am using a scope, or realy long range with iron sights.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on what kind of shooting your doing. both eyes technique is for rapid target acquisition in a dangerous environment hunting or competition. dangerous game hunting, pig hunting, self defense, war time etc. target shooting. slow fire accuracy matters one eye open.

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen to that!;)

19. racer_x

racer_x New Member

scopes right eye, quick responce scopes both eyes im still trying to train my brain to open both

20. racer_x

racer_x New Member

ya my son wants to left eye right hand shoot i dont get it but ok . lol he will bury his face in the stock to do it hes only 6 so i just want him happy shooting!!!!