Open vs. Concealed carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by JayCody, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Personally I think open carry is better because it makes possible attackers think twice about attacking you and it in most cases is easier to to get your firearm when your open carrying. What do you guys think is best?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Jay, this has been discussed to the point that several threads have been locked before, because of heated arguments about it. many times it spirals out of control. lets hope this one will be different.

better is a subjective word here. open carry, yes it's possible that an attacker might think twice. concealed, you have the element of suprise.

some states don't offer open carry. some states a LAC can open carry without the need for a permit. lots of reasons, some good for both sides of this debate.

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Or better yet, search for one of the prior beaten to death threads.

5. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Just carry this around with you, will make them think twice:

Nothing as satisfying as a big boom.

[ame]http://youtu.be/0Eqf6iI0qtI[/ame]

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Oh ****! Nuke it from orbit!!!!

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

8. JayCody

JayCody New Member

if people argue in this thread or if it gets heated moderators or admins please delete the thread.
    A better question is what do you think and why

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Jay, there are times when open carry may be better and times when concealed carry is better.

You mention deterrence as a factor. If everyone could concealed carry and more people did concealed carry, and more crimes were thwarted by concealed carry, because bad guys didn't have any way of knowing who was armed and who wasn't, it could prevent more crimes even on unarmed people.

You may have a point that a visible deterrent could be a factor, but it can also be a catalyst in bringing unwanted attention. It can single you out as someone to take out early. It can get you thrown out of establishments that don't support gun carry at all. It can make other people who are not like-minded feel uncomfortable and make them do stupid things.

I prefer concealed carry when I'm traveling in urban settings. I prefer open carry in the woods or deployed into hostile countries.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

People have argued this for years, and neither side has won. To be perfectly honest, it's all personal preference.

Open carriers say that the visual presence of the gun will deter criminals, and that they just like to open carry.

Conceal carriers will say that openly carrying the gun opens up the possibility of becoming a criminal's victim (which there is no proof that this will happen except for a very few (extremely rare) cases). They say that having a concealed gun gives you the element of surprise.

Here's a few old threads on the matter.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/why-anti-oc-argument-90218/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-we-need-concealed-open-carry-96359/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealed-carry-vs-open-carry-93443/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/open-carry-vs-conceal-carry-91644/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealed-open-carry-when-90860/

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I agree 100 percent. Wise words.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Awesome. He know has all the opinions and advice he could ever want.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm an open carry proponent. (*gasp* like some of you didn't know)

A while back I issued a challenge to all members of the forum to find cases of open carry by law abiding civilians gone wrong. And they did. I believe a total of 8 recorded cases, or thereabouts. Several of these were overseas, and a couple were police officers, not quite falling into the category of "civilian". Not nearly enough for me to consider it a hazard. It's more dangerous to walk along a sidewalk minding your own business. Although, I believe it was found that quite a few uniformed police officers every year are killed with their own guns, or have their guns taken from them. I didn't include uniformed police officers in my challenge for one simple reason: it's their JOB to go looking for trouble, everyday. The average civilian probably wouldn't see as many confrontations in their lives as a cop in some towns will in one night.

Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, there is NO data pertaining to open carry serving as a deterrent, except for one case that I've heard of.

I consider open carry to be a perfectly safe method of carry, and practice it myself everyday, because I can't afford a concealed carry permit. In the areas I frequent, no one gives me a second glance. The areas I frequent are any damn where I wanna go near my home turf of West Monroe Louisiana, and now Sterlington Louisiana.

However, I'll also be the first to say (if someone else hadn't beaten me to it), that concealed carry is simply the better option in some circumstances. A liberal stronghold city. Places where people aren't used to seeing guns, and are known to have strong anti gun tendencies. Movie theaters right after mass shootings.

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

What?! Guns, in West Monroe?

I prefer concealed, more tactical options, but that is just my opinion.

16. Axxe55

Trip carries openly, that way he doesn't have to spend money for a CC permit. he spends his money on raising his son, as he is a single parent.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I was kinda making a funny. Look at my location... :)

It is nice to live in a place where the citizens rarely freak out if someone has a holstered gun. Don't understand why they freak out in some places. I mean, most criminals are not going to want people to know they have a gun...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  18. Axxe55

sorry!:eek: i didn't even notice that!:eek:

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

You got to try a whole lot harder to offend me. :)