Open carry

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by glockaholic, Aug 5, 2012.

1. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

I open carry a glock 22 with Blackhawk holster and uncle mike double mag holder. Just post what ever you want about open carry.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm not a big open carry fan, but it sounds like decent gear. I like BladeTech mag holders and Crossbreed holsters and also have a Don Hume JIT slide for range use with my Glocks.

If I were to open carry it would probably go in the BBQ gun category and I'd like a nice Stingray skin holster for my 1911 if I was going for that kind of flash.

3. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I open carry about 50% of the time

4. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Open carry is awesome I'd rather let people know I'm packing then have to pull it out. Example" I was walking with my wife opening carrying downtown indianapolis and a group of thugs walked by us and saw what I had and strolled by looked said nothing. Another time when I was conceal carrying a group of thugs try to pick a fight with me let me remind you my wife is six months pregnant, I pulled it out charged it and they ran off!!

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

XDm - factory kit holster about 1/3 of the time
    1/3 in a cross breed IWB with shirt tucked in
    1/3 shirt covering

6. SSGN_Doc

It can be awesome, or it can make you a target to be eliminated early, because they now know where the gun is.

It does make dressing easier if you aren't trying to hide it. Open carry is legal here in Georgia, but the only time I open carry is at the range, or when hunting or fishing.

I've got Glocks of various sizes to help with concealment for different weather. I'm not a realy big guy so, larger guns can be harder to conceal.

I'll be transfering to Washington soon. Weather is a bit more suited to concealed carry of larger guns there. It is an open carry state though as long as you have the liscense. It's a shall issue state as well so, that shouldn't be an issue. More liberals out there than here in GA, so it may not be as socially acceptable, (not that I really care, but it only takes one screamer to bring more attention to you than you want.)

I'd rather carry concealed and have the option to open carry, than I think I would actually like to open carry that often.

What ever works for you though.

7. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Yea ive had a few idiots give me **** but I tell them read the "Bill Of Rights". Ive never seen any kind of proof showing open carriers being a target. It could be a possibility but not likely. Like you said depends on what day, the weather, and were I'm at if I'm going to open carry.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You dont carry with one in the pipe??

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like having oc here in wisconsin. it means i dont have to worry if someone notices my firearm under my shirt. maybe you get targeted maybe not but i prefer not to be noticed. i just chalk it up to why advertise your not a sheep. i prefer to sit back and wait so im not having to quick draw if the need ever arises.

i carry an xdm compact in 45acp owb using the xd gear holster that it came with. occasionally i carry a colt new agent iwb in a galco holster

10. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Ironically after that happening I carry one in the whole. I was kinda afraid of a discharge but I have a glock so that won't happen.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Do Glocks have an external safety? I'm just trying to learn here.

12. vincent

vincent New Member

Nope, they have what's called a 'psychological safety'...finger off trigger=safety on, finger on trigger=safety off...being serious BTW...:cool:

There is a trigger mechanism but I don't think that 'technically' qualifies as an official safety...Lots of semi-autos have this feature...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

No Glocks have internal safeties. Well I guess the trigger Safety is external. It takes getting use to to not have a safety lever.

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yep, all internal..

Trigger safety
    Stryker safety
    Drop safety

Otherwise meaning.....no safety

"since the gun can only go off when you pull the trigger, lets put the safety lever ON THE TRIGGER!"

never made sense to me

15. vincent

vincent New Member

Yeah, those nutty Austrailians...who knows what they'll think of next! :D:D:D :rolleyes:

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You are seriously deluded if you think an AD or ND won't happen with a glock. I think it's wise to carry one in the pipe but please don't think glocks are all that and a bag of chips when it comes to safety.

17. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

With the three internal safeties, Glock's more safe than a revolver, but ND's don't happen because any safety mechanism fails, they happen because you fail to manipulate your weapon properly...

as for open carry, I usually don't, unless it's some kind of event (like recently when our local Gunshop was getting folks to all go to Starbucks carrying open to show support...) I'll wear something flashy like my S&W Model 29-3. But I agree with the consensus: I don't want people knowing I'm armed.
    I carry open on duty and you learn pretty quick that when you go someplace, once people notice, every eye is on you and your holster. That's attention I don't need.

18. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

AD maybe ND NOPE it's the whole point of Stryker fire. They are all that in a bag of chips and some salsa if you just keep your finger off the trigger.

19. SSGN_Doc

I've owned Glocks since 1998. I've carried them, shot them done work on them. Never had an AD or ND.

Can it happen? Yep. Just like with any other firearm.

Doesn't mean it must happen? Nope. Lots of them out there that have never been in a ND/AD.

I got real nervous once when I unstrapped my 1911 and found the safety had been bumped to the off position. That trigger has less distance to travel. Even with a grip safety, I don't like the idea of a cocked and unlocked 1911 in my waistband.

Keep the booger hook off the bang switch and a Glock is as safe as can be.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You guys need to read what I wrote. I never said glock wasn't safe, I never said an AD or ND must happen with a glock. I said he was fooling himself if he thinks it can't or won't happen. Put the kool aid down and stop being so sensitive about your precious tupperware.