Open carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by cfitting, Jul 14, 2012.

1. cfitting

cfitting New Member

So I've heard that in pa (not sure about other places) an individual is allowed to open carry a handgun without a permit and not get in trouble is this true

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Depends on the state. I just found out that here in Louisiana you can OC at 17. While in my neighboring home state of Mississippi you must be 21 and have a concealed carry permit to OC.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

MO law says a person can OC at 18 but can't buy the gun through a papered transaction nor buy pistol ammo till 21.

4. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I wish Texas had an open carry law

5. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Correct about Mississippi. They have two permits, one to carry (concealed or open) & an enhanced permit which allows ccw in places a lot of ccw normally dont allow.

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

In NC you didn't need a permit to open carry at all when I lived there. Don't know about now though, that's why it's imperative that you always know the laws of the state you're visiting or living in.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Everyone's answer has basically the same theme.

Get to know the laws of the state you are in. While some laws are more lax than others, what applies in state "A", may not apply in state "B".
    And I am pretty sure that PA has an online reference.

8. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I believe the only way to tell for sure is to find the info on your state through your state not guys off the internet be it true or not, it just protects you better to see for yourself not back your words to an LEO with "some guy on FTF said it was ok!" no disrespect to anyone here, cover your butt the right way! I know this through practice because i OC in NV.

9. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

In Chicago you don't need any guns.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Opencarry.org usually has links to the states' websites where they get their information I believe. It's a great starting point.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

here in MI its legal,but the cops harass you in town,and the dnr will accuse you of hunting with no hunting license if you're OC'ing in the woods,and it prohibited to OC in a vehicle,so legal here,yes..but what's the use.

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

ninjaT

I'm assuming you're familiar with MOC and MGO?

Birmingham case really solidly opened up OC in MI.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Unless you're one of the thugs. Then you can have all the stolen, illegal guns you want. :D

14. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Texas is no OC, and im glad. Scares the sheep and dems, no element of surprise, too much attention - my " right " or not. IMHO*

15. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

The citizens of Texas need to have the legal option of Open carry or concealed in my opinion.

16. Kronous

Kronous New Member

Sign the petition for it. We are moving that direction. Oklahoma just voted it in this year.

17. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have signed it

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

OC goes into effect November 1st, i will still remain concealed though.

19. Kronous

Kronous New Member

Thanks for the update. I live in the country and the OC is more convinient with critters and dogs that don't like bicycles.

20. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

The problem with oc in mississippi is no one does it other than own there own land, so you would probably be stopped by the cops pretty quickly.