Open Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Hamer, May 21, 2007.

1. Hamer

Hamer New Member

Can you still open carry in any States as a private citizen?

2. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Yes in several states you can. Some states that require a permit to CCW, don't require a permit for open carry.

3. flashman70

flashman70 New Member

It's OK here in VA. Now in NoVA or Richmond or Hampton Rhodes, you might get a reaction from folks - but it's legal.

4. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Open carry?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While still legal here in WV, it's a double edged sword? Many places will not Jail you over it, It's an attention getter and usually not a positive reaction! Folks have just gotten too tame and Freak out whjen they see a gun? With open carry, it has to be visable and folks will see it and react! Most of the Positive aspects of going armed are lost in open carry! If someone commits a crime and see's your open carry, they might see you as a threat or a cop and shoot you? Concealed carry, while a bit harder to do in many places is a lot safer and will not cause you the reaction open carry will do?

In the end, it's your choise, I have found concealed carry, safer, More suited to my No Trouble Life and I've seen Open carry end in Arrest or Folks running out of a Busniess when the fellow walked in with a revolver on his hip! Your choise?

5. teknoid

teknoid New Member

Perfectly legal in KY. Larger cities frown on it though (I've heard).

6. BrassMonkey

Honestly my thoughts on open carry are that as long as you are fairly clean cut most people just think your an LEO, and go about their day. Now mind you I am not saying that you should pretend to be one (unless you like sore wrists). If your wearing a Slayer shirt with your arms/neck covered in tats, and a pierced septum then people may react poorly upon seeing the gun on your hip.

7. marmac

marmac New Member

I think that open carry might open the door for some problems, including, some person thinking that you are a threat and take preemptive action. If you were to walk into a "7/11" store, you might get a baseball bat upside of the head by a clerk!

I agree that concealed is better and, will cause less headache :rolleyes: in the long run.

MarMac

8. BrassMonkey

While I favor concealed to open carry a holstered gun will not have the effect on your local "Quick E Mart" clerk I think most fear. If your carrying on your hip in open fashion most are going to assume your legit. However if you do decide to open carry I would recomend training in weapon retention.

9. marmac

marmac New Member

I will agree that most might assume a person who carries a gun as being legit, but the ignorance of guns and even the fear that has been spread by those who portray the gun as being inherently "evil" might cause some problems with those that are ignorant. It is really amazing at the ignorance of the average person concerning guns. Especially for "city folk"!

I also think it would surprise you if you walked in with a holstered revolver and there was a police officer standing there!! I don't think he would think that you were "legit"! If it were LA, New York, or Chicago, I can guarantee that you would be answering some questions!

MarMac

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  10. jleeper719

jleeper719 New Member

After purchasing my 1st handgun recently I wondered about open carry as well. I live in Las Vegas, NV and I frequently carried my XD9 on my hip when out running errands including into my local branch of Wells Fargo bank. Never had any problems but I was often stopped by people and asked if it is legal to carry open. Your are very correct in your statement that so many people are unaware of what the laws are regarding an individuals right to carry or even own a firearm are. I was one of those people until I became an NRA member and started reading "America's 1st Freedom" This prompted me to start researching what the local laws are regarding our 2nd ammendment rights. I encourage others to research and to understand these laws. Now... i have my CCW and rarely carry open for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.

11. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

Here in Minnesota you need a permit to carry. Once you have the permit (as I do) it is a "Carry Permit" not Concealed Carry. You can carry in plain sight, but you are expected to conceal whenever possible. I have several police officer friends and they have all told me that when they get a call that some guy has a gun on his hip they automatically assume you're a bad guy and will take you down at gunpoint until proven otherwise. It isn't worth it to flash a piece in public.

12. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

OPEN CARRRY? Why would you?

Hello GUNGUY/ALL

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Where in WV, we have a true consealed carry law, once you get that, you carry consealed, YOU HAVE TO! The state has an old law that allows one to carry in the open , unloaded? I just never have understood the worth in that? As you said, in kost cases, folks see someone with a GUN holstered or not, they call the Law, In comes a bunch of nervious officers and someone gets hurt?

The other side of the coin is that a weapon consealed is there, for your knowledge and use, a weapon in the open , is there for all to see, those who will want to confront you, thjose who will fear you and pannic and the Cops that will come to talk to you? Thier simply is NO UP Side to OPEN carry, In my Opinion? Those that have, it's usually a discussion point after, as thiers always a a story to follow?

Many states and Cities have outlawed the legal open carry, as it has nothing but trouble attatched to it's use, other Businesses have banned Open as well as Consealed carry, those Types of Business DO NOT GEY MY MONEY! Places like BLOCKBUSTER Movie Stores with an open, stated Policy of No weapons CCW or not in thier stores are such one! I made it a point to lkeave my gun in the van, go in and apply, after filling out the application, I asked to see the manager and ask him about Company Policy about NO weapons even CCW, once he stated that YES, that was still thier Policy I told Him, let me have that Application back and Tore it up in front of him and walked out! I told him, Untill your company recognizes my Right to legally carry consealed, I'll not do business with your place!

13. Gun Packer

Gun Packer New Member

I open carry 95% of the time with very little problems. Curious people usually ask me if I am a bounty hunter, Texas ranger, or Marshall. I usually reply no, my wife thinks it's sexy on me. For 2 years in Virginia I open carried with no problems. I live in Georgia. I have a Georgia License, a non resident Virginia, and a Non resident Utah permit. During the summer carrying a 45 Ruger concealed is uncomfortable. I have prevented several robberies etc. I have many good stories. No bad ones.

14. teknoid

teknoid New Member

There are a lot of uninformed people on open carry. In many places, you won't get a second glance. It's just not a big deal. In the "Less free" states and cities it might be, even if legal, but not in places like KY, CO, NV, WY, VA, and others.

I'm sure it would be frowned upon in LA, NYC, Chicago, and others. Someone in the thread mentioned those places. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly, since it's ILLEGAL.

See the map here:
    http://opencarry.org/

For open carry states. The number might surprise you. Only 6 states don't allow open carry. I usually CC but when I don't, it doesn't draw undue notice. It's usually kind of hard to miss, too. Usually it's a 4" .357 or a Springer 1911. The only comments I've received were on the guns or the leather.

Edit: Ron, no stories here. In fact, nothing even worth mentioning. The UP side for me is comfort. It gets HOT in KY during the summer and, besides a PA63, I only own full size guns. I just can't get used to those "itty-bitty" things. Most of the time, I use a t-shirt and cover shirt. If it shows, I don't give a rats patootie. It's still legal here in the Bluegrass.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  15. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

Open carry is legal here in Michigan also, but most people don't recommend it in urban areas. The nice thing about it, is I don't worry if I print or not. Or, if wearing a loose shirt over a T-shirt, it don't matter if the wind blows it open.

What I've noticed over time, most people either don't notice, or don't care. I think most who notice, think I'm a cop/PI/someone authorized to carry.

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

What about open carry in Indiana? I have a permit to carry but a sheriffs deputy told me to conceal it cause they don't like to respond to a call only to find out your legal.

17. SixthTry

SixthTry New Member

Yes, if you have an unlimited license to carry a handgun in our state then open carry is legal.

Exceptions are government buildings, schools, airports, etc: check the rules before risking a felony or worse.

Your sheriff's deputy is giving you sound advice. While it may be legal to openly carry, why attract attention?

Further, someone might misconstrue your intentions and phone in one of those "man with a gun" calls to 9-1-1. Bad times

18. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

for thoughs of you who have not seen this video go to you tube and type in dan sayers. this fellow was open carrying in northwest ohio it is completly legal to do so in ohio as a matter of fact they tryed to use it aginst us when they were trying to get the chl law passed. I think that open carry can be a good thing and it is good for people to educate others on the laws of their own state. I hate to hear people are afraid of guns and then asked why that dont know they just are. if we had more people who open carried then maybe some of the negative publicity that guns get from the media could be turned around a little bit. just my two cents there Anthony

19. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

That is a loaded question depends on each and every states laws it is extremely hard to answer with a one word answer :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

20. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

Um, what question?