Open Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by 1911_guy, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 1911_guy

1911_guy New Member

I am 18, I love 1911's and I want to open carry. I'm not going to treat this like it isn't a big deal because I know and understand it is. I will take classes before any kind of firearm leaves strapped to my side. I wanted to get some opinions on "Yes open carry" or "No open carry" and why or why not.

This isn't so I can "look cooler" this is strictly for self defense. If you feel there is a better way for self defense I'll be more then happy to hear any ideas.

Thank you!

2. 1911_guy

1911_guy New Member

I am 18, I love 1911's and I want to open carry. I'm not going to treat this like it isn't a big deal because I know and understand it is. I will take classes before any kind of firearm leaves strapped to my side. I wanted to get some opinions on "Yes open carry" or "No open carry" and why or why not.

This isn't so I can "look cooler" this is strictly for self defense. If you feel there is a better way for self defense I'll be more then happy to hear any ideas.

Thank you!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all, welcome to the forum!

stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

first things first, i don't know what state you are in, but check out the legalities of open carry and the minimum age that is legal for open carry. these laws will and can vary from state to state.

now BATF regulations say you can purchase a long gun at 18, but you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL dealer. now state laws vary on whether you can purchase in a private sale or be gifted a pistol from a family member or such and whether you can legally be in possession of a pistol if under the age of 21. again, check the gun laws of the state you are in to be legal.

yes, get more training and if you haven't even consider taking a gun safety class. worry about all of these things before even considering the purchase of any pistol. get the legalities squared away before worrying about which pistol you might want to carry. get past these steps, and then you can move onto the next step.

4. 1911_guy

1911_guy New Member

I'm in NV, one of my friends had his grandfather but his side arm and then they took it to the police station and got it registered in his name. Do you think open carry is a good/bad idea?

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. You show
    too many hole cards when you OC.

The BG is not going to fight fair; he'll
    hide himself and his motives to put
    you at a distinct disadvantage. Generally
    speaking, the elements of surprise and
    initiative will be on his side.

Why voluntarily surrender your few advantages?

Always remember it's not the dog in the fight, it's
    the fight in the dog. SD is all about attitude. The
    gun (1911 is a favorite of mine.) is not as important
    as the mindset. Sometimes a pencil you can use
    quickly is better than a gun it takes time to
    unholster.

Last, many liberals fear guns. You will draw a lot of
    unwanted attention to yourself from all the ninnies.
    You will also find out the hard way how few police
    actually are familiar with the laws they enforce.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Here in Ca, you can open carry only in rural areas now days, but that's the only place I have ever opened carry as therewolf said, I don't like to let the bad guy know everything up front.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

7. therukh

therukh New Member

CC all the way

Welcome to the forum!!

You have a distinct advantage being 18 in that you have several years in which to learn, train and get ready to use your 1911 well before you start carrying it in public. I, for one, support open carry but would prefer not to, for all the reasons mentioned so far and it is just not comfortable for me. I tried it, some 40 years ago, and did not like it. I carry everyday now and have for most of those 40 years. I have never been uncomfortable carrying concealed and would highly recommend it over open carry. I'm not one who wants to draw attention to myself but open carry does that, in spades! I prefer to blend in and go about my business without the added "burden" of attention caused by open carry.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I am fine with OC in the appropriate places, but if militaries the world over have and still do covet secrecy as possibly the most important aspect of opsec, so will I.

9. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Actually Axe, you can purchase a long gun from a FFL dealer at 18. It's only handguns and handgun ammunition that you have to be 21 to purchase from a dealer.

Welcome 1911_guy! It's about time we get someone else here that doesn't have a bald head and a big stomach! ;)

As others have said, OC is only legal in certain states. If I had the choice between OC or no carry, I would OC every day. But you do need to practice and train with your firearm before hand. I've been shooting for a few years (not long compared to some of these guys), so I feel pretty comfortable with my abilities to hit my target. Only YOU can make that decision for yourself though.

Make sure you stick around here, you'll learn a lot.

Franklin

10. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I disagree with you saying that the BG is going to have a advantage. Lot's of BG wouldn't even do something if they see a gun in a holster. Not to mention that they probably won't even notice him, since they're going straight for the cash register.

I don't think this guy noticed! :p

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6DGppUoh8[/ame]

As for voluntarily surrendering your few advantages, I think that you are at a greater disadvantage by being completely unarmed, which he would be due to the CC age being 21.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

agreed. any bad guy with half a brain shoots the open carry guy first (in the back, more than likely)

12. 1911_guy

1911_guy New Member

Thank you all, if I could I would CC but clearly the age is 21, i have always understood that if I do OC the element of surprise is gone. But OC is also the only thing I am able to do, Unless anyone has any other ideas on how I can defend myself I don't know what else I can do. I live in Vegas area and there is always hear/see stories on the news about people being harmed. It wasn't until my older sister almost had the car taken from her while she was at a light, that made me realize, it truly can happen to everyone! Lucky for her, she had her doors locked and was able to get away.
    Again I really do appreciate everyone's help and Input.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When did a 1911 become a long gun? The OP specifically said he was interested in a 1911.

Open carry of long guns in urban areas just to make a statement is really backfiring. Instead of promoting open carry and encouraging legislators to repeal open carry restrictions the opposite is happening. Gun owners are winning in state legislatures all across the nation. In 42 states OC is legal. Lets keep OC legal by behaving in a responsible manner.

When the OP is 21 he can get a concealed weapon permit and enjoy all the perks that come with being a law abiding citizen in the USA.

14. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I understand that a 1911 is not a long gun.... I am not sure if Axxe made a mistake in the way he worded the below sentence or if he isn't quite aware of the laws, but it is not correct. I was simply trying to inform him of something he might not know. That is why I addressed Axxe in the beginning, and then the OP separately.

As far as the OP waiting to be 21 to enjoy all the perks of a law-abiding citizen of the USA, one would think that you would have all the perks at the same time that you have all the responsibilities, such as paying taxes and signing up for the draft. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

15. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

To many Libtards in todays society to OC, they will throw a fit and cast attention on you....not worth it.

16. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Not worth it until the guy starts shooting up the movie theater you're at, right?...

17. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I Didn't mean it to as not to carry, just OC.....heck the guy in the Movie theater would shoot the OC person first:D

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Take an NRA basic pistol course. If the laws of Nevada provide a means for you to carry a pistol you will find out when you take the course. We are not attorneys. Any advice you receive in this forum is worth what you paid for it. Many gun ranges apply what you paid for the basic pistol course towards your concealed carry course.

I cannot advocate breaking the law. It is against the rules of this forum to advise anyone to break the law. I understand that you are concerned about your family. I would seek advice locally so you don't make a mistake that will brand you as a felon.

19. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

He can't carry unless it's openly, otherwise that would be breaking the law. That's the position the CC laws put people of our age into. Hell, here in Florida I can't even OC! I am defenseless because I am 19, not 21. At least he has the legal ability to carry something. I'm stuck with my boot knife, which it itself is illegal as well :(

BTW, I don't think the guy in the Movie theater would be able to see that someone is OC. All the ones I have been in are pretty dark :p

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not a mistake. BATF laws are you have to be 18 to purchase a long gun and 21 to purchase a pistol from an FFL dealer. now as i mentioned, some state laws you can do a private purchase from an individual or be gifted a pistol under the age of 21. this is why i said he needed to check the gun laws in the state he lives in. he still needs to be 21 per BATF rules to purchase ammo that can fired in a pistol.

some states a minor can be in possession of a pistol and even own one under the age of 18. they can't legally purchase one, but they can be gifted one, like from a parent or a family member. again this needs to be checked per the state laws in the state one lives in.

IIRC, no one under the age of 21 can get a CC permit and carry concealed. now in some states, that have OC, they can open carry under the age of 21. again this needs to be checked by the laws of the state a person is in.

that is why the first thing i suggested was that the OP look into his state's gun laws to acertain what is legal or not legal for him to do in regards to carrying, possession and buying a pistol. once that hurdle was out of the way, he would have a clearer idea as to what direction to go.

the laws on the legalities of minimum age to purchase a pistol or long gun are on the BATF's website.

as i agree, that if a person can enlist in the military or vote, and by law are considered adults, they should by all right by the law be able to purchase a pistol and conceal carry a pistol as well as be able to walk into a bar and buy a beer to drink. but with that said, the decisions on this are not mine to make. so under the age of 21 all you can do to be legal is comply until those minumum ages limits are changed.